Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeff -

Your web site pointed me to where I can get my 6 speed Getrag rebuilt locally for just a few hundred dollars. Granted, I'll still need to source my own parts (and thanks to Kormex for being there on that!), but I now know that I can have the tranny rebuilt with a warranty locally.

Now, if my current plans for getting it rebuilt fall through, I can always fall back on this recent revelation.

Thanks Jeff. Your web site is truly invaluable to our cars!!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
What qualifications???

I am in need of a 2nd and 3rd gear synchro, plus output shaft and input sleave. I can get these from Kormex, however I am leary about having someone take those parts and rebuild. Can you tell me how you found a company willing to do it and warranty it?

Travis.

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: What qualifications???

Red Bomber said:
I am in need of a 2nd and 3rd gear synchro, plus output shaft and input sleave. I can get these from Kormex, however I am leary about having someone take those parts and rebuild. Can you tell me how you found a company willing to do it and warranty it?

Travis.
Hi Travis ;) -

The place I found was listed in the Garage section of Jeff's web site. It just so happened that the shop is right up the highway from me in Smyrna, GA. I checked their web site and it says they warranty all their work for one year. I called and talked to a tech. He informed me that they have rebuilt a lot of the Getrag trannys, but he can't source the parts right now. I asked that if I sourced the parts if he could do the install. He said no problem.

So, once I get the parts I just pull the tranny and make the short drive to Smyrna. After the shop time I bring my now happy tranny home and plug her back in, complete with GM Syncromesh fluid and new seals. My car shoud be happier than it ever has been. :)

·
No surrender!
2,270 Posts
i'd like to thank Jeff also for allt he time spent building that site. I visit it often for info.

·
Registered
155 Posts
shop

I know the shop your talking about...what did they charge you and what all did they do....JC

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Re: Re: What qualifications???

ukyo said:
complete with GM Syncromesh fluid and new seals.

Better put Redline fluid in there while you're at it. It's a ton better. Use a 50/50 mix of MT-90 and MTL. You can get it at Blind Hog Motorsports in Norcross. It's good stuff!

- Brad
92 Pearl White R/T

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: shop

hulk67 said:
I know the shop your talking about...what did they charge you and what all did they do....JC
Jack -

I haven't taken the tranny up there yet, but they qouted me a figure of ~$400 to do the rebuild with whatever new parts I can bring to them.

I'll report back with how their work is once I get the job done. I hope they know their stuff... I'd hate to have to buy a new tranny.

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Re: What qualifications???

BSWhelchel said:
Better put Redline fluid in there while you're at it. It's a ton better. Use a 50/50 mix of MT-90 and MTL. You can get it at Blind Hog Motorsports in Norcross. It's good stuff!

- Brad
92 Pearl White R/T
Brad -

I'm thinking that I will get in to a rotation of changing my tranny oil just like I do the engine. GM Syncromesh is supposed to be as good as BG Syncroshift, but cost less. I figure it's not worth it to make a larger investment in the tranny oil (Red Line or BG) when I plan on changing it every 15K or so.

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
I think a lot of us have not found much difference between BG Synchroshift and Red Line - I have used both (currently with Red Line).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts