Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm a new member but have been a visitor over the years. I am the original owner of a 99 SL, never had any real issues with the car. Recently I let ot sit for about a year as it was never a daily driver (only 60k mikes) Well I went to start fixing it up for my son as his 1st car...I know I know lol. But It will not start. Cranks but no spark on 3 & 6, coil & PTU are good, new red top battery...I'm stumped. Problem is I can't for the life of me find a service manual with wiring diagrams and a ECU pinout with troubleshooting guide 馃槖. Any help is appreciated.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Drain the gas and replace with fresh, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank.
Drain the gas and replace with fresh, there is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank.
Thx for the reply. Would that help the no spark on #3 & 6? The tank was treated before it sat, can't remember what treatment I used lol, but tried to be proactive. Also I have no RPMs on crank is this normal? I need to do the 60k service regardless but trying to troubleshoot before I sink all that cash in. Removed 2 top covers, timing correct, can't see any wire dmg and have voltage to cam & crank sensors.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
FYI to anyone looking for a 99 service manual without paying $300,
emanualonline.com is a rippoff, purchased a 99 received 91. I do have the full 91 service manual if anyone needs it!
Haynes (to my surprise) also sold me a generic manual nothing to do with my model. At least they refunded.
The CD format floating around does not specify 99 either

Premium Member
I was gonna say go look for evidence of mice chewing on wire, but you said you don't see any wire damage.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
What's the health of the engine ECU's capacitors? Are they still factory original?
Believe them to be fine, not sure but Believe 99 didn't have this issue, at least not a widely know issue. I can upload a pic in a bit. ECU still on drivers floor.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Believe them to be fine, not sure but Believe 99 didn't have this issue, at least not a widely know issue. I can upload a pic in a bit. ECU still on drivers floor.
Now that I look in the sunlight rather than artificial possibly the "staining" on the bottom of the board...

Premium Member
Those two large ECU capacitors are original, (round cylinders with a large + sign on them). From your pic I do not see any leakage. If you put your nose to it, and take a large whiff, I find a leaking capacitor will give off a bad smell, some say like bad sea food smell.

If it passes those tests, then I would leave them alone for now and look else where for your problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts