Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving down the highway late at night when I see some car just fly up the onramp and speeds like he's the king of the world. It defenetly caught my curiosity so I decide to give chase to see who and what this was. I slowly get next to it and notice it's a 94 or so 3000gt VR4. I eagerly gave him a bleep of my throtle and he dosen't even look and suddenly he downshifts and takes off. The old fart full of himself didn't even try to have a fair race. I take off at 70mph. He instantly makes a carlength before my car spools up and gains another half as I pick up speed. I proceed to stay right up he's butt next to him all the way to 130mph when he decides it's enough. I decided to turn off on my exit since I knew he wasn't going to acknowledge me or even cared what I drove. I just hate coky people. They don't even know how to have fun. I sure was happy that I stayed up with him on pump gas. Probably thanks that it's 17 degrees outside. I bet I could have beaten him If I would of had race gas. I know it's just an excuse but I never get cool races when I do.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
wow, thats pretty good keeping up with a car that has a 100+ hp advantage stock than you. So how much extra power does that turbo of yours give you, compared to the stock turbo?

·
In charge
1,814 Posts
I may be that he didnt want to race and thought he'd be better off in front of you. Or more likely, he had no idea how to run a street race.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well he defenetly took off like a bat out of hell and kept it up to 130mph when he decided to slam the brakes back to normal speed. It was preaty cold outside (teens) so I cranked my boost up to 20psi like I normally do with race gas, it holds that all the way to redline. Car is way faster then stock. Full turbo backs and intake mods can make this cars run very low 14s with the stock turbo wich is preaty much crap and can't hold more then 10psi above 5500rpm. I only used HP calculators which give me about 286hp might be a bit more considering awd drivline loss but it sounds about right for my times and weight. But I also weight about 500+lbs less then him. I've been able to keep up with new vetts from a stop but they usually catch up by 70mph but never raced one over 80mph. I have also beaten WRXs and a couple of late 90s cobras from a roll. He was defenetly steping on it preaty hard. I'm just happy I got to race a car I really like. I just wish I could goten an even race. It was still a lot of fun though.

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
hmmm . . . so just because he drives fast, he's cocky and full of himself . . .

Props to the old man.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think the "cocky" part came from the fact that he didnt acknowledge the other driver. If I race, i always give a thumbs up or at the very least i look over.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just trying to get he's attention and he responds by flooring it and showing off. Like if no one can't touch him or something. I personally like to line up and try to take off at the same time as the other person. I also like to thank people after a race or give them a wave. This guy wouldn't even look at me before or after. He's move kind of reminded me of a ricer fly by. He can do what ever he wants I guess. But I like being nicer then that.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Just because he floored it doesn't mean you can automatically assume that he was showing off or trying to act like the king of the world. Maybe he doesn't know race ettiquette or maybe he stereotyped your car. Alot of ricers drive eclipses that could hardly keep up with an SL let alone a VR4 and was trying to get away from you. Now is that right of him to do that? Probabaly not but him assuming that was the fact is about as right as you assuming he was being cocky.

·
I have too many cars
369 Posts
I think all you guys are not giving this dude credit. It's pretty obvious this old man was racing. You don't just put your car up to 130 mph for no reason. Good race man, at first I was gonna knock you too, because there's not way your car could keep up w/ a VR4. But then I read the sig,....very impressive. My buddy has a 97 TSI and it's pretty quick, but is lame next to my TT. How much did that turbo cost you? Once again, good run, sounds like your car is a sleeper, (if not for the exhaust!!!) :)

Mustang,

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Mustang fanatic do you prefer driving your TT or the mustang better. And does that bent-penis gearbox piss you off in the mustang. The location of it is too far foward and the stick shape is well....bent penis. I drove my friends 99GT and I hated the tranny local much better positioning in the VR4 I think.

Also, in your future mods for the Stealth you say 3 12inch Sony Explode subs. I know people who work in Car Audio and was wondering if you researched the subs or if you just pulled your choice out of a hat because the quality of the Explodes is merely average and they don't hold up nearly as well as others, they are more hype then quality. I have 3 8inch JL audio subs and they put out a much clearer bass and punch then two 10 inch Sonys.

·
Registered
459 Posts
VRMAN, i agree with you. the sony subs are not very good quality there are much better subs out there for the same price. but everyone has different taste so the best way to find what you want is to listen to as many different kinds as possible at a store. by the way JLaudio is very good quality.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks mustang fanatic. I'm getting so flamed I'm afraid of exlplaining my self anymore. I'm sure the guy was enjoying he's car, I sure would have'd if I where him. I know he noticed me because it took him a while to react and I was next to him for quite a while. And maybe he thought I was some dumb rice boy who had no chance and thought I was a waste of he's time. I was only hoping to have a friendly race with a rare car that I always admired. Nice cars you have there by the way. And I really like the sleeper look. I even got a cat back with dual 3" tips for that purpose. And my turbo isn't exactly anything too special in the dsm world. Costs $900 and flows 515cfm @ 15psi. Just enough to run 12s on a well tuned car.

·
Registered
856 Posts
YogsVR4 said:
I may be that he didnt want to race and thought he'd be better off in front of you. Or more likely, he had no idea how to run a street race.
I was thinking the same thing. Or how about its a 700hp vr4 and he doesn't have time to play around with anything made by eagle.

I also love the quote:
"...when I see some car just fly up the onramp and speeds like he's the king of the world..."

So, are you king of the world when you speed or something?

.jon

·
Registered
856 Posts
Trevor said:

Actually...I do that quite often. It makes me look like this. :D
you read my mind. you're gonna tell me you NEVER take your car up to 130 for no reason? Go live a little :)

.jon

·
I have too many cars
369 Posts
I don't know anything about sound systems, so I just came up with that, you're right. As for what car I prefer....it's tough to say. But I do like the Stang's tranny MUCH more. The thing is so much tougher than the Stealths. THe Mustang is brand-new though. If the Stealth were new and didn't have 100K miles, then I would like it much better i"m sure :)

Mustang,

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
what's up fellas. i thought i'd add my 2 cents. vr4 owners shouldn't sleep on their little brother dsm's, you have been warned. as owner of both, i think i can fairly say any well tuned dsm with a turbo upgrade can hang with a vr4. props to your talon, it sounds sweet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts