Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a guy at work wants to race he has a 97 z28 with intake, headers,exhaust, z06 tranny and a stage 2 clutch . Im runnin a
stock 92 vr4 with a new tranny and clutch (stock) so how bad am i gonna die ? im just racin for kicks;) :mitsu:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
yeah i think you're overmatched on this one. i think the 97+ z28 (ls1?) is much better than the 96 z28 (lt1?) engine. plus, he's got mods and you're stock. i think you've got an uphill battle on your hands.

driving skills matter though, so if you're a better driver, you've got a shot.... good luck.

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
LT1 is upto 97.

Unless you do atleast BPU, you will most likely lose.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
youll most likely lose, but i dont think it will be that bad. LT1's sound a lot meaner than they actually are. a stock LT1 camaro runs 14's in the quarter(i think), but of course, this guy isnt stock. just be thnkful its not a year later and has the LS1. but it should be a fun run:D safe run and good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Run him from a stop and pray he doesn't hook up very well. Dump it at 5500rpm, hold on, and flash the hazards at 100;)

Or, buy a boost controller and don't worry about it.

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
Odin said:
Run him from a stop and pray he doesn't hook up very well. Dump it at 5500rpm, hold on, and flash the hazards at 100;)

Or, buy a boost controller and don't worry about it.
Shit, by 100 i'd say that the camero would be in front. Flash em at 60 :p

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
By having a Z06 transmission, I think he only means the transmission and not the entire drivetrain. LS1's, LT1's, F-bodies, Vettes, all have the same 6-speed getrag borg-warner transmission. So really the guy has a stock trans.

Stock LT1 F-bodies are good for low 14's to very high 13's. It should be a pretty good race. :)

Make sure you break-in your new clutch with a few thousand miles before you go romping on it. ;)

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
FASSTLN, i know this is a bit off topic, so i apologize in advance. in your sig, you say that you dynoed at 292rwhp and close to 310lbs trq. my cuz has a pretty serious 2000 SS and i am heavily into them, so i know a little about about them;) i noticed a lot of guys dynoing at approximatly 300rwhp stock. GM claimed to have about 325hp (if im thinking straight), but wouldnt 300rwhp put their crank hp close to where the C5 vette is? i heard talk that the company underrated the car cause it didnt look right that their 30k sports car put up performance numbers similar to their 40k+ corvette. this true? just being the curious person i am:D p.s... your sig puts me back into "SS buying mode" everytime i see it:icon23:

·
s l o w r w d s c
841 Posts
6Speed Or Auto? If It is a 6 spd and you go from a stop I think you might hold him off. If It's a Auto thats a different story......Oh yeah if he has drag radials too it makes a big difference

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
Odin said:
I thought LT1 Pre 98 'maros were 5 spd?
LT1 had 6 speed AFAIK.

·
Cams: Where less is more
978 Posts
all LT1's and LS1's had the T56....only the 6's had the five speed :p

·
Registered
213 Posts
being a previous LS1 F-body owner i picked up a thing or 2 and i know that GM underrated the the cars and they made about 348hp which is why you see them putting 300 or so to the rear wheels. tricky bastards, to bad they went bye bye

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
Well hes got some good mods. Are the headers longtubes or shorties? I think even at bpu you will lose. since your still at stock boost I dont think it will even be close. Dont race till you get a boost controller, go from a stop and hope your a better driver. :) What gears does he have?
My brother has a similar car to that one and its neck and neck w/ mine. He ran a 12.6 w/slicks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Signal92VR4 said:
a guy at work wants to race he has a 97 z28 with intake, headers,exhaust, z06 tranny and a stage 2 clutch . Im runnin a
stock 92 vr4 with a new tranny and clutch (stock) so how bad am i gonna die ? im just racin for kicks;) :mitsu:
LT1 with the mods u listed should be a 13sec car at 102-104mph in traps. I dont think a stock VR4 will trap that high. Anyways its going to be a nice race. Make sure u get a very good launch so he will try playing catch up after that. I guess he meant by Z06 tranny is the T56 for the Z06. It has shorter gears than the T56 on the C5 or the F-body. Good luck.

·
Registered
386 Posts
the C5's tranny is in the rear end, no? i remember seeing one apart at a speed shop and the tranny is the rear diff. theres no way he has a C5 tranny in a Camaro. :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts