Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys a friend of mine just bought a 97 Celica GST and I am going over his house to race him in a street he has near by. ( I didnt think they made the GST in 97 but nonetheless he said that is the one he has)

BTW::: I have a 98' SL. and we are both autos.

So what do you guys think the outcome would be??????

·
Registered
656 Posts
sorry but he will win....youre sohc right?

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
No he's DOHC. But what the hell is a Celica GST? You mean a GTS?

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
whoa whoa whoa

sorry but he will win....youre sohc right?
i have another thread going right now about my sohc vs a 93 or 94 - 98 style celica, and the concensus was that i would rape him. those cars have a max of 135hp apparently, and even less torque, so why do you think the SOHC would lose? I know the DOHC will rip a celica new one, and apparently i should too.

yes btw its GTS, not GST, the GS-T is an eclipse

so what are the models for the celica during those years? I know there used to be STs, GTs, STXs, and GTXs in the older years.

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
I don't think you will have any problem with him. You have an SL so your DOHC. Even if he says he has a GTS they are still 4 cylinders and i think they have around 170 horsepower. So i don't think you need to worry, and since your both autos don't have to worry about messing up shifting ;) Good luck

·
442 Posts
Before the 2000 celicas, the round headlight style celicas were only available as base model or GT. Toyota dropped the GTS celica when they redesigned and got rid of the pop up headlamps and kept it away until the current 180hp celica. The 94-98 have the same engine AT BEST as a n/a mr2, which is also the camry 4 banger 130-ish hp.

Slow, but remember....."Looks Fast"

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
hahaha. 130hp crap trap is goin down....

·
Registered
656 Posts
ok i was thinkin he was a base not an sl. and if he was an atx base he would lose. and since he's dohc i think he'll win from a stop. and by the way, i think people need to stop bench racing their cars, go race him and post if you won or lost. i hope you win.:D

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NAH MAN...its not bench racing...I would race him even if I was going to lose I just wanted to see what the prediction was. ;)

I am going to race him tommorrow so I will tell you guys how it goes.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Remember . . . a lot of people think because it's an automatic , one should just floor it after a launch and let the car do the rest. That's not always the best way to accelerate. It's one of the ways to run very rich which will kill some HP. Once your feel for the car has become 2nd nature you learn how to foot the pedal to give it just the right amount of fuel it needs at a given time while accelerating. ( then again this might vary from car to car . . . i noticed in my car that if i don't keep the pedal floored , my car accelerated a little quicker) Anyways . . . go rip him a new asshole ;)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn...I could not find his house...but I will arrange it to race him this week...so I will keep you guys posted.:D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Drozzix yes cars do run richer when they are floored but that dosen't mean they run slower. Usually in SOCH engines it'll feel faster if your not floored because they'll run out of steam so early. But if you don't floor it, then when the car shifts it'll fall out of it's power band slowing you down even more.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a friend with a new celica gt that beat me by a couple car lengths in my auto 93 SL. I had 61,000 miles on my car without a tuneup and he had a stick.
ohh yea we raced from a redlight also. I know the automatics suck off the line but I didnt think I would get killed by a 140 horepower car. My friend with the celica can also shirp his tires in third gear.

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
chaney said:
My friend with the celica can also shirp his tires in third gear.
That's not that big of a deal. My Chevy Citation X-11 with a little 2.8L HO V6 (150HP) with a FOUR speed can do that if I beat it hard enough. Remember Celica's are light, SL's are pretty heavy, so off the line = BLEH. That's why i had a 50-shot in my SL. Got me off the line realllll good ;)

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
You shouldnt have any trouble with a new celica gt-s. Atleast I never have. But then again. I dont have trouble with 5.slows either. I know they should win on paper, so I must be one hell of a driver then....hehe:)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have seen the old celica and it's turbocharged ...... that thing is fast because they only make a few of those from factory... The ones that with the hoodscoop are turbocharged.... Not the New celica....

·
Registered
291 Posts
You guys know anything about the new ones that can be Supercharged from the factory? The local dealer here said it was an option. But only makes like 220hp. I wonder what kind of times it be'd able to pull.

·
Hot Damn, here I am!
2,684 Posts
I assume that's with a TRD supercharger upgrade and not really a factory release kinda thing. Wonder if TRD stuff retrains a factory warranty? Anyways, I'd guess the car would put down mid 14's, traction being an issue. It'd probably just build all the power up real high in the powerband, so it's hard to use for street racing or anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts