Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if a 97/98 front bumper would work well with a fmic. is the opening big enough for the IC to get the airflow it needs? if not, are there any relatively cheap alternatives? i know the pitroad m bumper and 99 both work well, but they are both so damn expensive. thanks.

·
3Si Corporate Shareholder
3,784 Posts
Depends on the size of the IC's core. You could go with a huge full size one but you wouldn't be reaping huge benefits because the airdamn is significantly smaller than that of say a '99. I'd go with a slightly smaller core or even upgrade the sidemounts. I'm not sure as to the size and selection of FMIC's for the 3S. You might also want to do some custom work like cutting away the center crossbar for better airflow.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so you think the 97 would be fine if i got a shorter front mount? like...i think the darkside racing one is only 7" tall.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Heres a massive FMIC on a 2nd gen bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that this was a member's car.

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
I was thinking of getting a FMIC to use w/ my 97 bumper. If i do, I probably be the first.

Black94VR4

·
3Si Corporate Shareholder
3,784 Posts
jdc4085 said:
Heres a massive FMIC on a 2nd gen bumper
Yeah but you obviously see the butchery involved. I know its been done several times but I think most of the members on here wouldn't resort to shearing away parts of their front bumper just for a few more square inches of exposed IC core.

There's someone taking deposits for a custom bumper that he is going to get made for the 2nd and 3rd gens.
http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101275&highlight=custom+bumper

It'd give an FMIC a bit more exposure to air because there's no crossbar...not to mention it looks unbelievable.

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
the darkside core is taller than 7"
its actually slightly shorter than the apexi core, maybe 1/4 to half an inch at most.

the way my fmic is setup now, the crash bar blocks 3-4 inches of it, so the opening is prob equiv of a 97 front end, minus the plastic cross bar the 97s have in the middle. I havent had any probs with overheating and the fmic does a damn good job. After running around in my car for 20-30 min, I can pop the hood open, and barely touch the ic pipes coming from the turbos because they are very hot. The pipe near the throttle body, after the fmic, is barely warm to the touch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts