Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back i had the oem clutch go out after 123k miles, so i decided to upgrade and go for a stage 1 south bend clutch kit and new oem flywheel. ive broken it in and i havent had any problems since, until today. i was crusing, 50mph, 5th gear, and all of a sudden the speedo goes to 0 and there isnt any acceleration. the clutch pedal still has pressure.when i put it in any gear and let out the clutch- no gas- it stays at idle and doesnt move. when i let the clutch out i can hear a faint whooshing noise. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1991 VR4
853 Posts
There is a speedo gear and wire on the front of the transmission (at least on VR4s). Sounds like you probably didnt break the wire, but rather broke something internal on the trans that connects to that gear - that is what sends signal to the speedo. I assume you tried all gears? No clunking or grinding noises aside from the "whooshing"? How does pushing the clutch change the noise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a speedo gear and wire on the front of the transmission (at least on VR4s). Sounds like you probably didnt break the wire, but rather broke something internal on the trans that connects to that gear - that is what sends signal to the speedo. I assume you tried all gears? No clunking or grinding noises aside from the "whooshing"? How does pushing the clutch change the noise?
I finally got the chance to look at the car yesterday, the drivers side axle shaft had come apart in the middle and stripped the grooves on the inside off of it. ordering a new axle shaft today and hopefully thats the only problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts