Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the stock wheels on a base 95 3kGT be polished? Just wondering if the alloy material pollished up or not. If not, I'll probably sand it down to smooth it out and spray paint it black or white. Just to get rid of the ugly stains, lol.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yes, they can be polished, but there are mixed reviews of polishing. For 1, it take a lot of time to polish them right. Some people have also found them hard to keep shiny. But it will make your wheels look 100% better. Painting is another alternative, but it might not be very durable. Powdercoating is always an option. Most shops will sandblast them, and powdercoat them almost any color. For only about $50-100 a wheel. And they will last and look a lot better than just plain paint. But it's up to you. You might also searching for other posts. I know this topic is always coming up. If your worried about the stains, there is always prouducts out there to clean rims. I don't know how safe it is for the wheel, but I used acetone to remove most of my stains, they came out pretty easy. good luck~

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this is just a temporary solution until I get some 18s (I'm really bored, and I figured I'd do something with the wheels). What does it take to polish them? Because mine are pretty rough. Does that Airplane Paint Stripper stuff everyone talks about work on it?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
As far as I know, the stripper will take the gray paint off, leaving the bare aluminum. But if you notice, it is a rough texture. So it takes some time to sand it out. You have to use a combination of tools to get them good. ( ie- sander, demel, hand, etc. ) I'm not sure how long each wheel takes, but I know it takes a while.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
blah who needs polish wheels when you can ride on "16 inch" ( cooler than 20 yo ) blade bling bling like you are the numba one stunna :D

·
Hail to the King, Baby
1,064 Posts
hellz yah

Hell yah Jspec, our fatty 16s are off da heezy fo sheezy! Heh actually I think they look pretty nice, and a bunch lighter than the VR4 chromies I bet.

·
chunsangp
3,556 Posts
If I were you, I would just save the money that costs to polish.
Polishing would cost around $400 isn't it?

·
HIGHRISK
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who said I was polishing it profesionally? I'm jsut really bored. professional stuff on some stock 16s is a waste. I'm just gonna ride on some ricey spray paints until I get some 18s ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts