Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Try to be unbiased guys

0-60, 1/4 mile, how do these cars stack against each other.

I currently drive a 95 GTP 3.4 DOHC bout 210-215 hp, 210 lbs/ft torque, auto, with just a k&n cone filter, REMEMBER, its not the supercharged GTP. I'm looking at a 95 Stealth R/T, auto also, all stock.

Both have low mileage, so it won't be a factor. (about 6250 miles in difference of odometers)
On another note, how is the reliability of the Stealth's engine? and the car in general. I know the stealth recently had the ABS system repaired. Would you recommend an
extended warranty....

I've been told, and researched,that my GTP does the 0-60 in about 7.5-7.7 and 1/4 mile in the mid 15s.

They are asking 22900 for the stealth (canadian) despite having just 42000 miles, also loaded and leather, i think this car is over priced, maybe if it were a TT i wouldnt try to haggle too hard
. This car is nothing short of emmaculate, as is my GTP.

thnx

Leo

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
The Stealth R/T is faster and quicker to 60, but not by much. I thought all GTPs were supercharged except the 80s ones which were turbocharged. Anyway, the Grand Prixs have speed limiters to 115 or so, and are not safe above that speed anyway. The price for the Stealth is insane unless it is a turbo. The last year was 95 for the Stealth, so for that price you could get a new supercharged (lightly optioned) Grand Prix. My suggestion is to buy the newest twin turbo you can find for $22,000-prob a 95 or 96. If you want basic transportation that is reliable and still under warranty, buy the Grand Prix. The regular GT is not much slower than the GTP to 60 (my friend has owned both), but does not handle as good. The GTP (supercharg) with some mods can do 14s with ease and low 14s with some more serious mods.

Sam 95 VR4

S

·
0 Posts
Okay, I am not understanding the logic on this board.

I know for a FACT that STOCK my Mustang would run the GTP. You tell me that even with my current mods I probably don't have a prayer against a STOCK 91 Stealth TT. But you also tell me that a GTP can keep with a Stealth TT.

I don't understand your logic.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Okay, what is assumed is that a Supercharged GTP can deal with a TT stealth. However that isn't the case. An RT and an RT/TT are not the same. I believe Wraith is saying that a supercharged GTP can keep up with a non turbo Stealth RT. because modding a car to get it to low 14's means we still laugh in our TT's and then we might have a split second of worry when they pull rather hard, then we laugh even louder when we find how much they spend to mod the car to get there, and still lost. An Rt and a 3000 GT SL are not all that fast. they will take a Stang GT stock, but not a Cobra, at least the 96 Sl didn't take the 96 Cobra (I was there, it was sad) so anyway, seriously Mustang Man, run you uncle, then come back I will congradulate you, and then you can come to Okalhoma and I will toast your butt and declare you a right capital fellow! Heh heh... Just playin with ya. Seriously though, where are you located at??? we can find someone to run you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My how we wander from the original question...i have one reply so far. so, off of the mustang
and yes Slamd95gt i talk to someone everyday that would eat your mustang in his 98 GTP. It runs low 13s 1/4 mile. Nice mods done, and yes a few bucks spent.

go to fordvschevy.com, his car is there. IT FLYS
Black GTP....

anyways, some help for my original question? your saying the stealth r/t isnt reliable? my GTP is the one just before they went with the 3800 superchargerd engine. Mine has a 3.4 litre, DOHC, 24 valve. I've been told that this ain't the most reliable car either, but I tend to think it's luck of the draw. The stealth was owned originally by an older lady, then an elderly man.

22900 is in canadian dollars btw..which i still think is too high.

thnx

leo

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I don't know. Looking at the posted "fastest" list, I'm not sure our NA cars would take a stang stock. The best numbers posted were 15.3's, and averaged between 15's and 16's. Have they EVER beaten a stang? Sure, and vice versa probably. Lots of variables there. But on cars alone, I would bet on the stang over the NA. One thing I would like to point out to Slamd, is the tremendous differences between mustangs. Not to take a shot, but the relatively low quality control at Ford has put out a range of beasts and dogs within the same model. My mild 88 GT would decimate my buddy's 91LX (which was supposed to be faster out of the box), and I considered him to be an equal driver, plus the fact that his car had about half the mileage of mine. He could never figure it out.
But a GTP would be no match (for either an NA or Stang)if those times stated are correct. Its still just a factory modded sedan. Typical domestic car manufacturer philosphy: throw in 50 more hp for the press and marketing people, and who cares how the damn thing performs all round? Hype will take care of it. That doesn't make it a sports car though.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
The Stealth R/T is a very reliable car in my own personal experience. It's not plagued by the Getrag tranzmission problem of the twin turbos. I've had mine for over 3.5 years and it's got 90k on it. I've only had to replace tires twice, clutch at 65k, front struts at about 78k, and the oil. Of course the full 60k service with timing belt and all. Runs like a champ and I think nothing of taking off for a 2000 mile trip (or more). It'll get me there and back with no problems.

My browser crashed as I was responding with my experience with the GTP, but it was describing a 96/97, first year with the 3.8l gtp. Couple years ago, for an hour on the hignway, we (me in my stealth and some guy in a white gtp) played around, between about 90 and 130 mph, and the cars seemed very on par with each other. I had to look it up on the net to see what it was. I'd suspect that the R/T you considering would have more bang for the buck than the GTP. Not sure of the conversion, but I'd reckon a 95 R/T in great shape could pretty easily draw US$14-15k.

Personally I like the style of the stealth more than the Pontiacs as there are a LOT of pontiacs on the road, and a slowly dwindling number of stealths. Plus you've got a group like us to hang out with :)

EricB

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I never said the Stealth was not reliable. What I meant is that the stealth is still a sports car (front drive or not). It requires better tires, and generally more general maintenance than a sedan. My ex- girlfriend has a stock 95 Mustang GT (auto), and I have driven it and raced her. Once when we got into an argument, she got in it and peeled away in anger. I took chase in my car and kept up with her pretty well. She only slowly started pulling on me after 80. I was driving my 96 Cutlass Supreme SL, with a 3.1 litre V6. She could not lose me anywhere up until that speed-and I outhandled her car also. Unless your stang is heavily modded, it is no match for a TT. With my car, with a boost controller and filter, I have taken supercharged GTs. The ones that give me the toughest time are the 85-88 5.0s with lots of mods. I do not think I am a great driver either. I once raced a 98 Cobra with plates that said SOUPDUP, and I put three lengths on him from a light to 135 MPH.
I do not mean any disrespect, but my Cutlass was not that fast, and I was impressed more with it after the race with the bitch (who drives like a maniac).

Sam 95 VR4

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Leo, I looked at your profile, if you are still going to be living on "the Rock", you may want to go with the Pontiac, just because of the maintenance issue, unless you are SURE that a qualified mechanic with experience and tools for cars like our is nearby, or you are extremely mechanically inclined. No trying to turn you away, but there seem to be a lot of horror stories about inept mechanics unable to remedy what should be normal problems on 3S's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heeheheh, yeah I live on 'The Rock'. great spot, however I'm getting interviewed for a position in Alberta and another here locally.

I'm not exactly a lost cause when it comes to car mechanics, i've done many an altenator, brakes, rotors, hosing, oil changes, intakes.(filter
) myself. With some help from my old man
whose been around the automotive block.

I can honestly say when I took one look under the hood of the Stealth R/T, it looked a heck of lot easier to work on than my GTP. If any of you get a chance to look under the hood of a 96 or earlier GTP with a 3.4 DOHC 24 valve v6 in it..you can't move in there at all. Engine is also noted as one of the hardest engines to work on by GM.

Anyhow, i really like this forum btw, its pretty much identical to the Grand Prix one i attend also.

lbrowne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts