Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
I vote derail. Legacy f18 double jointed trailing link main gear is epic awesome engineering feat. I hate kid rock also.

Really the only thing in this thread that irks me is that somehow you're of the opinion that a control arm of a sonata is inferior to the 1983 OEM design. The 3s isn't the bastion of modern engineering. Hell, $15k crap cans now come with dualjoint struts. It either fits or it doesn't.....and if it doesn't, its not going to stop the world from turning to modify it. Nobody is bitching left and right when people install wrx 13t turbos or Volvo 19t turbos......exact same thing we are talking about. I don't remember all this crap when people were building their own aws delete rods.....or installing rear camber arms.....what the hell is going on in this thread. Are all of us cheapskate hack owners who have adjustable rear control arms because they are not OEM?

^ THANK YOU.

FFS, 3si.org was the best place to be, why are we fighting? There are 2 spots you can go for talking about these cars, don't make people run to other sites, lets just all get along. IF he modifies this, I bet ALOT of people with welders will tackle this instead of bending over with their wallets out....

Unless they are into that.... :qgiggity:

·
Granny Shifter
994 Posts
It's much more than 29$

·
Super Moderator
3,199 Posts
I vote derail. Legacy f18 double jointed trailing link main gear is epic awesome engineering feat.
It is also a bitch and a half to change out.

Something on that one though looks off. It may be pre TD to fix one of the linkages.

I hate kid rock also.
Kid rock as in the singer or as in like these Kids Rock cds? Because I'm with you on both of those.

Really the only thing in this thread that irks me is that somehow you're of the opinion that a control arm of a sonata is inferior to the 1983 OEM design. The 3s isn't the bastion of modern engineering. Hell, $15k crap cans now come with dualjoint struts. It either fits or it doesn't.....and if it doesn't, its not going to stop the world from turning to modify it. Nobody is bitching left and right when people install wrx 13t turbos or Volvo 19t turbos......exact same thing we are talking about. I don't remember all this crap when people were building their own aws delete rods.....or installing rear camber arms.....what the hell is going on in this thread. Are all of us cheapskate hack owners who have adjustable rear control arms because they are not OEM?
You know, that's a good point. In fact that's a damn good point in regards to the AWS delete.

Touche.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the wear and tear process on these parts. Would the bending of that link cause premature failure of that rubber bit? How much force did it take to get it to fit?

If it's just going to fail in a year or two probably not worth it. If it only takes a little bit of force to put on hell, totally worth it.

Let's run through the two known cheap methods of replacing/rebuilding the control arm components. Costs include BOTH SIDES:

Moog Sway bar end links: $30
Sonata Ball joint: $25
All other bushings on the front LCA (including the bracket bushing? What's that?): $200

Parts total $255
Labor: Depends on if you're 94+. Only need to press in front bushing on LCA if you are 91-93. Have to press in front and rear if 94+

vs:

Sonata LCA: 154 for both
Rear bushing replacement to make it work: 72

Parts total: $226
Labor: Can be done in driveway

The difference partswise is $30. The real difference in cost is getting those bushings pressed in. That cost is entirely variable. Let's see how your car performs with the slightly off sway link mount and if it can be aligned.
It's much more than 29$
???

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
This comparison is not apples to apples. In one example you replace all of the bushings and the control arm and in the other you only get new bushings.

Many of our cars have a significant amount of rust that would require the replacement of the rusty control arm. Even if it is worth saving, likely it would take some labor and painting to clean it up to have it comparable to the brand new Sonata part.

·
I kill brakes
4,790 Posts
And FWIW, This is dumb for $30, lol.

For $300, I'm the person who would build my own control arms, and add more caster and length to them, and remove all the bushings and replace with spherical bearings, and make them out of aluminum.

·
Granny Shifter
994 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
You forgot the part where the sway bar end link mount is wrong too

If anyone is reading this thread, and does not care to read, all of the prior info. Please keep in mind I was trying to settle the rumors that the Sonata control arm could be used as a direct replacement. It is not a direct replacement, however it can be modified to work with minor changes. I have previously stated the differences. Once I am satisfied with the modifications and have tested them and had my car aligned with them, I will put it in a Wiki. Feel free to try or not try this at your OWN risk. Sorry for the delay, but I have to make my car move first.

·
Flasher
9,660 Posts
It's not a $30 difference. You can't replace ball joints on a control arm with a worn out hole. This would be a useful replacement for those who need a new control arm. I understand getting a chill up your spine when you think about putting Hyundai parts on your car, even if it's a Hyundai. But really it's "name brand" China parts, which I deal with a ton, and I haven't had any issues. If the parts store catalog showed 3000GT/Stealth as direct fitment for that same exact part, none of you would be bitching. It would be just like buying a Moog ball joint or tie rod end, which is smiled upon here.

Reactions: Choguy03

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
If it bolted right up like a lower ball joint I would say go for it but it's not a direct fit. The sway bar end links don't fit without modification. That's more time and time is money. Reinventing the wheel for no savings.....

Has an alignment been done? With out an alignment we don't even know if it's going to work.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
If it bolted right up like a lower ball joint I would say go for it but it's not a direct fit. The sway bar end links don't fit without modification. That's more time and time is money. Reinventing the wheel for no savings.....

Has an alignment been done? With out an alignment we don't even know if it's going to work.
So, the original sway bar links bolt up, but since the mount location on the control arm is not in the same place the arm is at a different angle. Mine is currently bolted up and sitting in the driveway while waiting for a rebuilt engine. Someone suggested to use a different Z shaped link. This could resolve any possible issues without even modifying the control arm. Once again, until myself or someone else try's it we are all left with pointless speculation.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
2 months later and no solid answer...

This is a black eye in our forum. ;)
You haven't seen how slowly I can work. My Diamante intake took over 6 months from buying it to on the car. But I really like it!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
So, only 2 years later, I worked on a better solution for this problem. I found a sway bar link that fit better than the original. Probably would not recommend using the Hyundai Sonata unless your LCA metal is shot. I have been doing limited driving with this solution, and it seems to be working fine. Maybe in another couple years I will give you an update lol. Here is the video I put together showing the install of the latest and greatest sway bar link.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, only 2 years later, I worked on a better solution for this problem. I found a sway bar link that fit better than the original. Probably would not recommend using the Hyundai Sonata unless your LCA metal is shot. I have been doing limited driving with this solution, and it seems to be working fine. Maybe in another couple years I will give you an update lol. Here is the video I put together showing the install of the latest and greatest sway bar link.

Hey Knocking!
So 3 years later, is still holding up alright?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Hey Knocking!
So 3 years later, is still holding up alright?
Still rolling along. She is a garage queen so it was not much of a test, but I did take her on a 400 mile meet up. Honestly, it was not ideal because I had to use one part from my old control arm to make it work.

·
Flasher
9,660 Posts
Still rolling along. She is a garage queen so it was not much of a test, but I did take her on a 400 mile meet up. Honestly, it was not ideal because I had to use one part from my old control arm to make it work.
It's funny you updated, I was still wondering about whether or not this was a good solution from way back then lol

101 - 120 of 122 Posts