81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Interesting thread...and several interesting points of view. Great discussion, I think. Wondering if the new part was close to the same weight as the original? Might give some sort of indication on gauge of metal used. Other criteria obviously does exist however. Just looking at the stabilizer link mount, I would think it would be possible to weld one it at the proper angle and position, but IDK as I have not had one in my hand. Just thoughts.
Lincoln
The gauge of the metal seemed about the same. Even though it was inexpensive, it is from the Raybesto professional line. By re-welding the link you could fix the head angle, but I am not sure if you could keep the heat off of the rubber portions. BTW, still not sure that was a problem. It bolts up flat, but does seem to be at the edges of the joint's rotation. Probably could just modify the mount on the LCA if you were going to cut things and weld them. Could cut the oem mount off the old one for that matter. Would be even better just to find a link that had the right angle. Need someone who has access to stock shelves full of different links. I could spec out a link if anyone has such access. Lastly, thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

·
Granny Shifter
994 Posts
Any updates to this?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I have been working on putting my transmission back together. Once that is done and the car is running, next step is to get an alignment.

·
Super Moderator
3,199 Posts
I found the comment from FlyingVR4 interesting. I too work on airplanes, except they range in the $10 Million dollar range. I've ordered components that cost more than the entire airplane that Flying works on. We have procedures established that are literally written in blood, bone, and head stones and those procedures will always spell out the correct parts to use.

Like many parts on these vehicles, suspension is not one that I would hack together -especially from a Sonata.

·
I kill brakes
4,790 Posts
I found the comment from FlyingVR4 interesting. I too work on airplanes, except they range in the $10 Million dollar range. I've ordered components that cost more than the entire airplane that Flying works on. We have procedures established that are literally written in blood, bone, and head stones and those procedures will always spell out the correct parts to use.

Like many parts on these vehicles, suspension is not one that I would hack together -especially from a Sonata.
That has more to do with government than a particular desire to spell out specific parts. I'll use a Navy example, a specific part costs $25k, but when sold to the Navy for use, its reboxed and sold for $65k. Absolutely no changes. All the maint crew knows this, but its how it is. The suppliers write the procedures. The hacks that built the plane you work on are not impresse either by your opinion that using the committee written instructions make you a professional.

Everyone is smoking dope in this thread......

·
Registered
269 Posts
Props to you Knocking. I have been following this thread but never commented.

We NEED more people willing to do cool/crazy shit on these cars, you are doing something wild, if it all ends up working out, you would save people alot of $. More comments means more views, don't let it stop you.

PS.
Any S-Chassis owners in here? I have put my Silvia through so much shit, made ridiculous one off parts with my welder, and it works just fine. Let this man do what he is doing, it won't affect you, it could even benefit you.

·
Super Moderator
3,199 Posts
That has more to do with government than a particular desire to spell out specific parts. I'll use a Navy example, a specific part costs $25k, but when sold to the Navy for use, its reboxed and sold for $65k. Absolutely no changes. All the maint crew knows this, but its how it is. The suppliers write the procedures. The hacks that built the plane you work on are not impresse either by your opinion that using the committee written instructions make you a professional.

Yeah, been in the Navy for over 12 years. I know how it goes. It was never about cost to me, but safety. But please, you're welcome to tell me more about my job. Then we can further derail this thread and maybe get into some more personal attacks or insults.

What do you think, Chris?

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts

When you get into the Part 25 world (transport category, i.e. "big airplanes" to simplify it for those who don't know airplanes), things get different, same for turbine military aircraft that are the equivalent of Part 25. It all gets more regulated, as expected and as it should be. The systems are far more complicated, as are the aircraft as a whole. There really is not room for hacking things, dynamic effects can be very insidious. On Part 23/CAR 3 aircraft (i.e. "small airplanes"), everything is much simpler. The same goes for our cars.

Our cars are not rocket science by any means. There is nothing in our car that I couldn't sit down and design today, and likely improve upon. I wouldn't say the same for transport category aircraft, even though transport category aircraft are how I make my living.

So, two different animals. I can completely understand why some people wouldn't be comfortable with what KnockingStealth is doing, and that's just fine. Calling it unsafe, however, is very inaccurate. Just think about how many of our cars are or were driving around with shot tie rod ends, ball joints, or bushings. THAT is unsafe!

·
Super Moderator
3,199 Posts
When you get into the Part 25 world (transport category, i.e. "big airplanes" to simplify it for those who don't know airplanes), things get different, same for turbine military aircraft that are the equivalent of Part 25. It all gets more regulated, as expected and as it should be. The systems are far more complicated, as are the aircraft as a whole. There really is not room for hacking things, dynamic effects can be very insidious. On Part 23/CAR 3 aircraft (i.e. "small airplanes"), everything is much simpler. The same goes for our cars.

Our cars are not rocket science by any means. There is nothing in our car that I couldn't sit down and design today, and likely improve upon. I wouldn't say the same for transport category aircraft, even though transport category aircraft are how I make my living.

So, two different animals. I can completely understand why some people wouldn't be comfortable with what KnockingStealth is doing, and that's just fine. Calling it unsafe, however, is very inaccurate. Just think about how many of our cars are or were driving around with shot tie rod ends, ball joints, or bushings. THAT is unsafe!
Very true. Still, I just have this uneasiness about going to far right field with suspension parts. That's just me and honestly, I know I came off like an ass. It's a habit :)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Ok, so first you should read the thread before judgeing.
Secondly, I find it pretty funny that people somehow think the oem engineered parts on their cars are somehow superior. The whole car is an experiment from Mitsubishi made to stretch the boundaries of what could be done. As we all know, not all of the experiments worked out.

1. Sport/Tour Exhaust Valve - Nearly all are now rusted solid.
2. Rear wheel steering - Tubes rusted and leaking. Minimal effect
3. Tranny-18 spline output shaft- Wears out early or breaks.
4. Hydraulic Lifters- hole was originally undersized.
5. Turbos - Undersized
6. Active Aero - Seriouslly, the car weighs 3000lbs+ Does not need any more downforce.
7. 3 Piece Drive shaft - Carrier bearings wear out quickly
8. Back Seat - Why Bother
9. ABS - Does not pulse fast enough.
10. 2 Bolt block was weak on the turbo models.

My point is not to hate on the car, but to show that if I was smoking crack to try out a control arm from another car that did not fit perfectly fit, then I am in good company with the engineers. Trying things out is called the scientific process. Wether or not you realize it, your whole car is an experiment.
Dude...seriously, just stop talking.:shake:

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Very true. Still, I just have this uneasiness about going to far right field with suspension parts. That's just me and honestly, I know I came off like an ass. It's a habit :)
I respect your decision. No problem. :)

Out of curiosity, what planes do you work on?

·
Registered
520 Posts
kudos for trying! It is sometimes hard to justify spending 10% of what the car is worth on a lower control arm...

·
I kill brakes
4,790 Posts

Yeah, been in the Navy for over 12 years. I know how it goes. It was never about cost to me, but safety. But please, you're welcome to tell me more about my job. Then we can further derail this thread and maybe get into some more personal attacks or insults.

What do you think, Chris?
I vote derail. Legacy f18 double jointed trailing link main gear is epic awesome engineering feat. I hate kid rock also.

Really the only thing in this thread that irks me is that somehow you're of the opinion that a control arm of a sonata is inferior to the 1983 OEM design. The 3s isn't the bastion of modern engineering. Hell, $15k crap cans now come with dualjoint struts. It either fits or it doesn't.....and if it doesn't, its not going to stop the world from turning to modify it. Nobody is bitching left and right when people install wrx 13t turbos or Volvo 19t turbos......exact same thing we are talking about. I don't remember all this crap when people were building their own aws delete rods.....or installing rear camber arms.....what the hell is going on in this thread. Are all of us cheapskate hack owners who have adjustable rear control arms because they are not OEM?

81 - 100 of 122 Posts