Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please settle this fight for me. I have read various posts about the LCA off of a 95-98 Sonata being the same as our cars and others that say they are not the same. Also, some people said that others say they are the same but with cheaper metal.

I would like to hear from anyone who has tried to install the Sonata entire LCA.

The truth needs be revealed.

I did find out that Chrysler had Joint ventures with Mitsubishi and Hyundai during this time frame and that a version of the 6g72 landed in a Sonata. Seems like someone with part number databases of Hyundai's could cross reference the control arms.

We really need to resolve this issue so that we can maintain our status as a reliable source of info. Not to mention finding a 100.00 replacement for a 300+ part would be nice. Also, I am about ready to buy an entire LCA but don't want to ship it back because it does not fit.

I have already looked over the rockauto pictures of the Sonata LCA and some look similar to our LCA and others dont look at all similar. Not sure how that is even possible.

·
Granny Shifter
994 Posts
What's the best/cheapest way to replace all the bushings/ball joints everything on the LCA?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have a look at 3Sn Warehouse. Hans sells the bushings and the ball joint. That is unless your actual lower control arm is damaged. The ball joints for front and rear have been well documented.

The front is indeed a Moog K9855 P/N from a 95-98 Hyundai Sonata

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
Someone saw the pics were similar but I have not seen evidence of anyone trying it. You buy one from Rock and find out for us. :)

-SP

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
I have already looked over the rockauto pictures of the Sonata LCA and some look similar to our LCA and others dont look at all similar. Not sure how that is even possible.
It looks like in 4/95 they made a change in the LCA, specifically the big rear bushings. The after 4/95 is what you'd want since the large rear LCA bushing looks to be the correct one.

As to how some can look similar and some not (that bushing aside), it looks to me like the various manufacturers just have a different process for making the control arms and I wouldn't worry about that at all. There are a lot of little things you can make different, but what really matters is strength and location of critical components. The strength will be hard to tell, but the fitment won't. If I had to guess the strength will be sufficient and probably the same.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Have a look at 3Sn Warehouse. Hans sells the bushings and the ball joint. That is unless your actual lower control arm is damaged. The ball joints for front and rear have been well documented.

The front is indeed a Moog K9855 P/N from a 95-98 Hyundai Sonata
Yeah, you can buy the poly bushing kit, but that'll put you a $300 for the ball joint and bushings before you count labor for install (you'll need a press for the big bushing install). It's one thing if you want the performance that those provide, but if you're going for a stock-type setup then spending $100 for a whole arm that you just bolt in makes a lot of sense.

I have no idea how these companies are selling whole control arms, assembled, for less than the cost of the ball joints and bushings that go in them, but they do.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like in 4/95 they made a change in the LCA, specifically the big rear bushings. The after 4/95 is what you'd want since the large rear LCA bushing looks to be the correct one.

As to how some can look similar and some not (that bushing aside), it looks to me like the various manufacturers just have a different process for making the control arms and I wouldn't worry about that at all. There are a lot of little things you can make different, but what really matters is strength and location of critical components. The strength will be hard to tell, but the fitment won't. If I had to guess the strength will be sufficient and probably the same.
Sorry I was not very clear. Hear are a couple pictures from the a 96. Hopefully some places are not showing the actual part.

getimage_similar_to_ours.jpg
Very Similar to ours except for that small bracket in the middle.

getimage_oddballLca.jpg
Not sure how this one is the same at all.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been my understanding that it's ONLY the ball joint from a Sonata lower control arm that's comparable with ours, not the LCA itself.
Looking for personal experience or even a reference to someone who knows someone who has checked them out personally.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I had another idea short of buying a lca. Maybe I can convince a dealer or a random stranger driving a Sonata to let me measure their LCA. I can see myself now wondering around a parking lot with a pair of calipers looking for a victim :)

So if you thought our cars are rare, try doing a search for a 95-98 Sonata. I found one in our local CL and zero hits on Autotrader. So why do these cars have 4 different LCA options at Rock Auto and ours have zero?

·
DSM Guy
211 Posts
Quit being cheap and buy the correct part. This is why these cars are falling apart.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Quit being cheap and buy the correct part. This is why these cars are falling apart.
In all likelyhood the "Correct Part" and the one I am looking at buying probably came from the same factory. The only difference is the correct part had one more middle man.

If we could cut the price of more of the typical wear items on our cars, more owners could afford to properly maintain them.

Also, if the replacement part price were lower, the economic advantage of parting cars out would be lower which would keep more of our cars on the road.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
This sort of attitude you have is making these cars fall apart. Our support is so-so, and cross-referencing gets us the right parts for less money, which means owners can afford more parts.

·
Premium Member
11,905 Posts
People already have done the research and that's how they found out the Sonata ball joint fits our car. That Sonata LCA will not fit our cars as it's configured differently. Measure all you want but you'll never be able to do it with just a Caliper. While I can give you credit for trying people have already done this. That is why they reference the ball joint and you can now get Poly replacement

·
Granny Shifter
994 Posts
1 - 20 of 122 Posts