Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New canadian owner, from B.C.- 94 stealth R/T twin turbo, 216,000 KM. After looking at this car locally for a good price, (because it needed clutch replacement I was told), I soon got it home to begin the job.. But I ended up filling and bleeding the clutch master, bleeding slave cylinder (which was brand new looking??) and have driven the car for almost a week without leaks- totally impressed, I love driving this car it is an absolute blast. I would definitely like to thank 3si and members, because I checked my timing belt today after reading about the 60 and 120K service intervals.. and the belt was so loose that it was actually beginning to ride on top of most of the one cam with only 4 teeth of actual engagement to the gear! No indications other than possibly the very short "squawk" that immediately goes away when car is started- which I am wondering now if it is the tensioner or idler pulley. Thought it was the starter drive hanging up, but we will see once I do the timing belt job. Going to do gates belt, pulleys and water pump kit with a new Mitsubishi tensioner, replace front main seal. I was considering possibly pulling/inspecting oil pump and main/rod bearings since at hot idle my stock oil pressure gauge sits at the absolute lowest mark. I checked with a manual gauge and it was 17 psi @ hot idle.. replaced sensor and switch, same thing. Car has a squeaking only at idle that goes away even if I so much as touch the clutch pedal.. I had a civic that did the same thing and it ended up being the tranny input shaft bearing, not TOB. Are these transmissions known for input shaft bearing problems?
Stoked to have found such a gold mine of info for my new ride!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,000 Posts
Congrats what a great color. Nice job identifying the loose timing belt, that could have been bad. May be time to replace the oil pump if it's original. Not sure on input shaft bearing issues, all the squeaks I've seen have been TOB related. Anyway congrats again and welcome to the boards.

·
Money pit owner.
2,544 Posts
yikes, that timing belt is ready to slip! good thing you checked it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts