Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
hurr durr
305 Posts
90% of weird issues like these turn out to be a ground. Especially if it just "stopped". Grounds always do that shit. Check the ground that goes from the firewall to the engine. Make sure it's got good contact with the block. A lot of people put them on the throttle cable or on the plenum that's all aluminum. I've made the same mistake and had a similar issue. Check the main ECU ground cluster that's on the passenger side under the MFI relays as well make sure thats got good contact.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Several months since I had this issue. It was definitely a grounding issue down by the ecu. Amp is right. Check that stuff

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had this a while back, it was the ignition sensor... I thought ground issues were more hit and miss and they would act up here and there as the connection went bad not an immediate full stop. Ignition sensor though try to find a guide to check yours. I think it was like 80 bucks.

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Bump. Is this still a thing and acceptable?

I've moved since I last touched this car. I also tore the motor down and had it cleaned up.

Car still refuses to start.
Things that have been checked (within the past few weeks)
Timing
Crank and cam angle sensor working 5v off 0v on
Replaced crank sensor pig tail
Replaced temp sensor and pigtail
Checked and fixed boost leaks
It's getting fuel it's getting spark
Unplugged mad no change
Swapped out PCU no change
Finally burnt up the starter it was replaced
Cut back the engine harness protective sleeve to look for shorts. Harness looks really clean.
Cleaned and cleaned and cleaned fuel off of plugs.
Its showing 40 psi on fpg
Checked cams made sure they correctly installed
Did I mention timing was checked?
My ECU was tested in another '94 stealth tt that hadn't been started in over a year and it start it right up.

I'm stumped as to where to continue.

We did get it to start twice. What it took to get it to start was unplugging and plugging the crank angle sensor in while cranking.

We thought that the pig tail might have been damaged so it was replaced but no change to the way it starts.

I have a few videos if y'all are interested in listening to. Video is shaky but audio is what I would think y'all would be not interested in.

Please. I just want this thing to run!!

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes, even though the stock OEM was actually working just fine. I wasn't checking the V right on it come to find out.

·
Premium Member
6,955 Posts
Yes, even though the stock OEM was actually working just fine. I wasn't checking the V right on it come to find out.
I know you replaced it... I asked if aftermarket or OE..? Aftermarket sensors often work backwards of design, and are off when they should be on, and on when they should be off. It causes the ignition timing to be 180 degrees off. Just trying to make sure you didn't bolt on a second problem.

·
One fix at a time
7,788 Posts
I know you replaced it... I asked if aftermarket or OE..? Aftermarket sensors often work backwards of design, and are off when they should be on, and on when they should be off. It causes the ignition timing to be 180 degrees off. Just trying to make sure you didn't bolt on a second problem.
It definitely sounded like the timing was off because it would try to catch sometimes but just fall on it’s face. Cutting fuel and clearing out the cylinders worked initially after many attempts to get it to start but we could never consistently to start. Once running it sounded ok.

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Tested my old OE crank position sensor. It was/is not working nothing happens when I run a washer through it it's stuck at like 8v at all times. The new one will be 5v with washer running through it 0v when nothing in it, turn the fuel pump on and ticking noises from ISC when washer running through so it is working properly and not 180° out.
I looked at the ground cable under the wiper motor(ECU grounds, right?). Took it off wire brushed both sides, bolt washer and firewall.
I don't know if this has been mentioned, yet. But my ECU was tested in gatecrashers (Jeff) '94 tt several years ago. It started right up with my ECU in it.

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The first video is of it just cranking.

These 2 videos are of it running after we unplugged replugging back in the crank sensor while I cranked it.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,919 Posts
Definitely a timing problem. I’d start by using timing light while cranking to see if notch on harmonic balancer is anywhere near 0 to 15 degrees BTDC. If not you need to find out why. Might even be pins sheared out of reluctor plate allowing it slip around enough that it’s no longer matched to crank cog gear.

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Definitely a timing problem. I’d start by using timing light while cranking to see if notch on harmonic balancer is anywhere near 0 to 15 degrees BTDC. If not you need to find out why. Might even be pins sheared out of reluctor plate allowing it slip around enough that it’s no longer matched to crank cog gear.
Why, yes that's why I made this post why isn't it starting. humor
But really if it was a timing issue, where would i continue looking?

Cog wheel is fine. It's ran twice for short periods. I've checked it in the past when members swore that's what it was.

I'll check timing possibly today. I have the dressing completely torn off ATM.

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
If I wasn't clear enough on what I meant by timing. I meant I'll put the timing light on it to check for proper ignition timing.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts