Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start off by checking off everything that I have checked so people get an idea of what all i've checked.

1. timings marks- dead on
2. Spark- every cylinder checked
3. Fuel- it's getting fuel, no pressure gauge to know exactly how much
4. Fuel filter changed
5. New plugs
6. Checked coil packs
7. New plug wires
8. replaced Crank position sensor, might have not even been bad....
9. ECU test in another r/TT started it right up and there r/TT hasn't been started in over a few months due to a rear end rebuild.

while cranking it has a hard pause and then continues to crank and it acts like its trying to start. Has some sort of back fire but not really its hard to explain with out visually seeing and hearing it

Little back ground.

Just rebuilt motor was running for a week. It has been start numerous times to just allow it to idle. I have put ~14 miles on it driving it up the road to have tires and alignment done and to the gas station. 3 days after I had tires and alignment done I drove it up on to ramps to check for any leaks and to place the bumper cover back on. Left it running during this time maybe 3 minutes later while i was underneath it, it was as if someone just turned the key off on me. There is no turbo timer on this car.

Gatecrasher came over and was a second set of eyes. Hopefully I haven't left any information out on what I have checked for.

Thanks in advance with any knowledge and input on my situation. I'm overwhelmed and upset with this car.

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry MDoe8 thanks for the saying something. I added the info into my original post. Yes it cranks just fine with a hard pause and then acts like it is catching(as in getting fuel and spark to cause combustion to actually run).

·
One fix at a time
7,788 Posts
Did you check the injectors to see if they're firing? If the injectors aren't firing because they aren't getting voltage from the MFI it won't start. It sounds like you know the fuel pump is working but don't know how much fuel pressure is being built.

Also, do you know if the coolant temperature sensor is good?

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
Cam sensor?

·
LS3S
2,148 Posts
cam sensor would stop something, can't recall if it's fuel or spark.

I'd guess he sees fuel on the plugs?

So it cranks, it sparks (all plugs), it gets fuel in each cylinder, and it won't start?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Spray starting fluid into the throttle body while cranking to see if it's a fuel injector problem, if it fires you know you have a injection problem.

Edit: also just to make sure, are the plug wires going to the right cylinders

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Did you check the injectors to see if they're firing? If the injectors aren't firing because they aren't getting voltage from the MFI it won't start. It sounds like you know the fuel pump is working but don't know how much fuel pressure is being built.

Also, do you know if the coolant temperature sensor is good?
I replaced the new plugs after replacing the Crank position sensor and it still not starting, thinking that I fouled the plugs out. Boy were they floating in fuel....
You bringing up the CTS seems like an old issue I read some where a long time ago. Why do you bring this up? My oil pressure gauge seems to be broke it starts at 40 psi instead of 0. It didn't do that prior to this rebuild....I just assumed I need to replace the gauge.

cam sensor would stop something, can't recall if it's fuel or spark.

I'd guess he sees fuel on the plugs?

So it cranks, it sparks (all plugs), it gets fuel in each cylinder, and it won't start?
Yes, the first set(new didn't even have an hour of run time on them) were soaked in fuel when I replaced them.

I have spark, we turned the key to check each side of the coil. Yes we removed the fuel relay during this process. Would the cam sensor cause issues even though i'm getting spark at each cylinder?

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spray starting fluid into the throttle body while cranking to see if it's a fuel injector problem, if it fires you know you have a injection problem.

Yes the NGK 8mm wires i have are actually labeled. Again the car was running and idling just fine prior to it turning it self off.

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts

I know you said you had fuel, plugs floating in gas but have you actually tried this ^^^ spray starting fluid into it and try cranking it. Double/tripple check to make sure you have spark. Put plugs on all 3 front wires and crank it. Have someone visually check for spark or hold onto a plug or two. lol

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Doesnt make any sense that you can have spark and gas and not even get it to fire at all.

I didnt see, when was the last time it was running?

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
3 weeks ago this coming Wednesday.
OK there goes my bad gas theory but you can always take a little and light to just to make sure it burns. Be careful of course.

Did it just stop?

I dont see where or if you did a pressure test. I know it sounds odd but at this point it cant hurt to rule out one more thing.

OK I re read your first post. That is strange. Have you crawled under the dash to make sure there is no auto remote start/alarm or anything piggy backed into the ECU wiring or starter wiring?

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
There is no piggy back or kill switch for this car. I wish it was that simple.
Yeah or it wouldn't crank. I'm only thinking out load I guess. It just doesn't make sense that there is spark and gas and it does nothing.:confused:

Unless you burned holes in the tops of your pistons and there is no compression I dont know. I actually did that one on a jetski. :(

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
CAM SENSOR. Try wiring the output from the crank sensor to the cam sensor input if you dont feel like buying one.

·
having it my way
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your input is invalid. If what you were saying was right, which it isn't at all why would there be a need for two sensors to do the same job.
Crank reads speed(RPM)
Cam reads where in the cycle it's at.

17,341 Posts
Has there been any work done on it recently? Edit: reading comprehension... new motor. Check the alignment of the crank sensor shutter wheel.

Do you have any type of scan tool or datalogger you can hook to it?
very likely the cam or crank sensor is out of alignment or the bolts have come loose. Easy to pull the crank pulley and check.

Same thing just happened to me when I used bolts a little too long on the crank sensor and it moved around and bashed the wheel. Car turned off like you turned the key.

I didn't have any crank sensor signal though, but I could see in some scenarios getting erratic spark instead of none. You could hang a timing light on it while cranking to get a better feel for it, but I'd start with pulling the pulley to make sure your timing belt isn't getting cut up (mine was).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts