Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my dad and I embarked on Project Headlight Defoggation. As we were putting the driver's side one back on and squeezing the glue back together with pliers, very easily we cracked it the slightest bit and it shot down :( . So here are where my questions come into play. When we took them apart the housing for the lenses and the top cover are separate. I hate having shit wrong with my car that I can fix, so i need this to be fixed, and with as little money as possible spent. Do you think it is possible that i can just get a cover from 94 stealth (glass) or the covers from a 95-96 stealth that are lexon, but must be black. Will they fit the same. I need a driver's side covering piece, that is all. Even if 94-98 3000gt can fit i will use them. Below are pics. If you click them, they will become larger.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, we only did the one side, the first pic is the cleaned side, the second is the uncleaned side. Hard to see a diff from those pics, but the difference is DRASTIC.

·
Registered
636 Posts
i think you need to buy a new casing... don't know how to fix it.. my car looks exactly like yours... black and 94.. nice =D

·
1FAKND
238 Posts
IT can be done but I think either half way threw 94 or in 95 they painted the inside of the glass. were as in the early 94 they were painted on the is side. just so you have matching lights and you cant buy just the outside of the glass new they only sell the whole light which cost over 400.

·
your mom
303 Posts
It is obvious which one you did, good job man, with the exception of the crack :( Good luck getting it straightened out.

·
3/S Tech
3,185 Posts
Hey, I repainted the inside of the lights on my 94 a couple of months ago and it turned out great. It was rather simple getting them apart because I preheated my oven to about 220 degrees, then I just took the whole unit out, removed the bulbs, and put the whole piece in the oven, one side at a time. It only took about 10-15 minutes to heat up the glue enough that I just pulled the glass off with my hands, that way you don't risk cracking or scratching anything. Then you can reheat the glue and put it back together just using the metal clamps that are on it, or what I did was clean the old glue off, and reseal it with glass sealer from the parts store. I actually painted the "tunnels" that go from the glass to the lights, to match my car. It turned out pretty good. I'll try to post some pics later.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
i would use a heat gun.

·
The Blank Man
1,161 Posts
there are plenty of people who wrecked thier car, on one side, i'm sure that SOMEONE has the assembly for you. Possible check someone that did the 99 conversion from another 2gen. all the 94+ lights should work the same.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
come on guys, if you have done the 99 upgrade and still have your stock headlights, accidents, whatever it may be, get rid of what you are using for a bookend somewhere and sell it to some1 that is in need of them. :D

·
THE MAN, THE AMERICAN
2,015 Posts
Your car is black right? If you can't find a single from a 94, but could find a pair of 95 (or whenever they were painted black, not clear) and do a cosmetic upgrade at the same time. Not that it's a huge difference, but I think the true black casing looks better on the darker colors than the clear.

·
3/S Tech
3,185 Posts
I tryed a heat gun first, it just doesn't work because the whole thing has to be heated and stay heated long enough to pull a corner up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts