Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have looked around the forums for while and I can not seem to find any for an automatic trans.
So, I was driving on the highway and everything was just fine. I get off and at the first stop the rpms go down to about 200 and the car wants to stall. I slide it into neutral and it goes back to normal. I finally get it home but when I step on the brake to put it in gear it stalls. I have changed the brake booster and fuel pump as well as have done a engine swap and ecu swap. I tried changing the TCU with no luck. Before this happened I noticed it would hold back even if I was stepping on the gas, but would kick back in after a few seconds.
I have a spare trans and TC that are in good shape.

Just trying to get some feedback and see if anyone has any idea what it can be.
Much appreciated.

· Registered
41 Posts
Have you checked your IAC? From what I've seen in my time here it's mostly due to a bad IAC.

I don't have an auto but another issue my car had was it would often stall on the highway and then pick back up. The problem got pretty bad at times to where if I stopped it wouldn't turn on. The issue ended up being the connections at the PTU and the plug above it that goes to the coils. Cleaned them up and made sure they had good connection and it stopped my stalling issue.

I would check IAC and TPS you may also want to check the BISS in the TB as it may have gotten miss-adjusted causing you to idle to low and stalling.

· Premium Member
3,305 Posts
The Service manual will help you test all the components listed above. Seems like most just wish to spend money on replacement parts rather than read. Just as this is the engine section, there is a section just for "front wheel drive, auto transmission". LOts of more reading there. Bolting on new parts willy nilly is not how car repairs are done. Although I suppose if you have enough money, sooner or later will will get to the problem at hand. The trouble shooting section of the manual will tell you what to check, how to check, and in what ordr to check.
You are looking for a magic answer. That nuts as you have not told us what the hell you are driving. Given us not a ue what so ever how many miles you have on it. Whether it is a 1st Gen or 2n gen. Do you even know if you got the correc TCU? You have not even told us how your trans fluid looks and Smells. We can not read your mind. Using the service manual, test all that is mentioned above. If tose items check out, than go to the trans section.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT NA DOHC 2nd Gen
10,000miles on current engine, TT converted NA, along with matching Reman ECU
Trans was swapped out a year ago. With matching TCU. Around 90k miles on current trans
Trans fluid looks clean but slight burnt smell to it.
156k on the body it self.
All replacement parts were included with another 94 I recently purchased.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked your IAC? From what I've seen in my time here it's mostly due to a bad IAC.

I don't have an auto but another issue my car had was it would often stall on the highway and then pick back up. The problem got pretty bad at times to where if I stopped it wouldn't turn on. The issue ended up being the connections at the PTU and the plug above it that goes to the coils. Cleaned them up and made sure they had good connection and it stopped my stalling issue.

I would check IAC and TPS you may also want to check the BISS in the TB as it may have gotten miss-adjusted causing you to idle to low and stalling.
I have checked them and so far all of them seem to be good and correctly adjusted. The TB was reman, along with new sensors when the engine was swapped a few days ago.

· Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Now, with trans in part and idling. Does the engine drop RPM with AC on. Does RPM drop when turning steering wheel to left or right lock. If these things cause your RPM to drop, thanIAC is an issue. If this test shows IAC is good. Than you torque converter is going into lock up mode when it should not. This can be caused by bad TCU, but you say is new and the trans fluid smells burned. My guess so far is time to rebuild trans. Trans fluid does not really burn. But does pick up the color and smell of burned clutches and bands.
Good luck.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I swapped out the trans this weekend with a extra I had from the other 94 i converted to manual. Seems like the TC was locking up for some reason. But now it wont shift into 3rd gear at all. OD works for 1st and 2nd. As well with OD off Im only getting 1st and 2nd.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the motor locally from someone who had it in their Stealth, he had hydroplaned it and the car body was damaged pretty well. The car ran before i pulled it. they only leak I saw was from the oil pan which I replaced.

· Premium Member
3,305 Posts
I am deleting my last post. This post should have ended up on the JDM motor thread. WTF is it doing here, I'll never know. Sun spots I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts