Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a '93 VR4 from a local dealer. The car seems to be in good shape and it seems strong. My question is, should I hold out and wait for a '94 or later model VR4 instead of the '93? Are there any significant differences in the engine or drivetrain that make the later models more desirable? More durable engine and or tranny, perhaps?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I have a 93 and love it. Yes there are a few draw backs rather than getting a new but i wanted to point out one thing. If you found a 93 VR4 that do not have active airvents in the wheels wells then something is wrong!!! The air vents on the side are usefull (probably not mesurable) in keeping your brakes cooler. That was their original design anyway. Even if they aren't that productive at least you can look at them and see that air actually does go thru them, not like some cheap V6 pony mustang hood scoop or side fake plastic airvent.

A

·
0 Posts
I held out for a 2nd gen.. (94' Stealth) over the 91-93's...

I did it for the look and the 6-speed.. as for reliability.. I suppose the newer the car the longer life the parts have.. but then again if it has fairly low millage and if you stick your head in every nook and cranny well then it would be a good buy..

the only thing i got a gripe is the appearance of the 91-93 stealths and 3000GT's is the fake air duct on the sides.. at first i thought they were "real working" ducts but when I got a close up look they were just a black plastic piece giving the appearance.. thought it was really cheesy and turned me off from the cars..

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'll play the devils advocate here (pun intended!). I went for the 1st gen, because, I liked the less smoothed out look of the 1st gen (fake scoops and all), and thought the 2nd gen reminded me a little of an Avenger (just a little bit!). The 20 hp extra meant nothing to me since it is mostly boost related, and we all end up getting boost controllers. I acknowledge that 93-ups have 4 bolt mains vs the 2 bolt mains in the early models. This is a debatable point, since in my experience, 4 bolt mains are only necessary in the 450hp and up range.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so I was pretty confident I'd be able to pick a winner, so age / mileage was not a deciding factor. There were some good points to the 2nd gen. - the softer, fluffier leather seats, vs. my rock hard ones, 18 inch wheels, and the 6 speed, but I'm confused about which years have the electronic climate control display (mine has it and I love it). In the end, I also wanted to get a model with a fairly high production number, just because it seemed the safer thing to do for parts availability. Price was also a big factor, since I always upgrade when I replace parts, so if I bought the car low, and something (i.e. turbos ) needed to be swapped, what an opportunity to go bigger!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm with Diablo on just about everything he said. But then again I'm not surprised since he and I agree on just about everything about these cars. Sometimes I think we share the same brain. Scary.

Oh yeah, Diablo - remember: I got dibs on the brain this weekend! lol

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Mike, you can have it until the 10th (when I start the new job!). Then I MAY need it for a while!

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Actually, i think that the 93's have 4-bolt mains.

A

·
0 Posts
well I guess it comes down to which one you will love the most.. the one which you'll be with till death do you part... and should death occur due to stupid hand.. both swears to avenge the other with either a baseball bat beating or [email protected] impact..

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
ALL 91-99's 3000GT or Stealth's are great!! The only differences will be appearance and the 94'up's have OBD ECU's and the 6 speed. I will admit the 94' up cars have a slightly more refined fuel/ignition timing maps, that make the car a little better/faster, but that is basically all. If you plan to mod, ANY of the years is fine, EVEN the 2 bolt 91-92 cars (I prefer), I feel the 2 bolt is a better bottom end..Mits. added NO material to the mains when they went to the 4 bolt, they just moved the hole and drilled a new one next to it for another bolt, not my idea of a 4 bolt...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts