Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took my 92 VR-4 to the mall, parked it, then came out and started it up...it started to putter while still in neutral and when pressing the gas it did nothing. The car stalled after 20 seconds of this and then would not start.

A little background... about a month ago I was driving it and in second gear it started acting like I was popping the clutch (If any of you have made the mistake of attempting to drive without the MAS hooked up, then this is what it acted like)..take my foot off the gas, it stops, give it gas and it keeps up for a bit...I proceed on and I lost power a mile or so down the road. I had power for the radio, but the car seemed to have stalled, so I popped the clutch to jump it. Since I had to get gas that day at an Irving, I assumed it was bad gas and drive it three times in the past month in an attempt to work the gas out as well as added dry gas.

Needless to say it appears that it did not work and I am thinking that my fuel pump died? Could this be it? Were should I start with the troubleshooting?

BTW, I spoke with Glenn at GEM last month when it first acted up and he said it sounded like a fuel system issue, but could not diagnose over the phone. Any and all advise if appreciated. Thanks

[email protected]

·
Like a Rat out of Water
2,976 Posts
I was having problems with my 91 VR-4 for the past few days. I was driving, pushed the clutch in and it died. Had her towed home and diagnosed it. I was getting spark, but getting no power to my fuel pump.

Here is what I would do. Take out your spare tire and remove the black plastic compartment to the right of the spare tire. There's a metal door you can remove to get at the fuel pump. Disconnect the wiring harness and check for power to the fuel pump. I had someone crank the car over and I tested each pin for power. Was only getting power from the fuel gauge wire and low fuel warning light wire. If you get no power to the fuel pump, you're going to have to move up the curcuit. If you do get power to the fuel pump and it doesn't sound like its working when you crank it over, it could be a bad fuel pump.

**EDIT** GO HERE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING TO THE FUEL PUMP. IT TELLS YOU ALL ABOUT THE PUMP AND WHAT THE WIRES ARE: http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpvoltage.htm

Also, check the fuel pump relay #2. You need to take the air cleaner box off to get at it. It should be in a rubber boot that's attached to the frame. Remove it from the boot (should be a grey relay). I can't remember off the top of my head what connectors should have had power, but you can go to http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumprelaybypass.htm and look up the fuel pump relay bypass mod. It gives you all kinds of info about what pins are power. Anyway, I tested for any power to these terminals when the car was cranking. Got nothing, so had to move further up the circuit. If you do get power to here, the relay might be bad and you might want to try the rewire mod.

I moved up the circuit and came to the MFI relay switch. It's located on the passenger side on the center console. Remove the carpet on the passenger side center console and you'll see a bronze box with a 9 pin single connector. The box is the MFI relay. It should click when you turn on the key. If you don't hear it click when the key it turned, it might be bad. It also clicks after you turn the key to the off position and is left off for a few seconds. This was the bad part on my circuit...it wasn't clicking at all. I replaced it and my car started right up. If this was still good, then my next step was going to have to be checking the computer...glad I didn't have to!

Please let me know how it goes.

-Bat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bat

Bat,
Once I read your post, I realized what it was...just went out to my garage. pulled the K&N filter and found that the wire (I did the relay bypass mod about a year ago) for my bypass mod was cut. Put in a new wire and it started right up. What a relief!! Thanks!!

·
Like a Rat out of Water
2,976 Posts
No problem! Glad I could help ya out. Isn't it a relief when you turn the key to your car and it fires right up? Gotta love it!! =)

-Bat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.