Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to race pops this afternoon. He seemed a little over confident so I really wanted to see what would happen, I prob have 230 he's got 290, only mod is Dinan Exhaust. I really didn't think he had a top end, and we went at it after getting onto the highway, prob from a 10-20 MPH roll. Yeah I was destroyed. His auto shifts him at 5500 back down to 2500, which is where his 302 lbs of torque comes in handy. I've driven the 540 a few times, but they way these V8s are made I cannot believe. Unless you truely floor that car you'll never even get a glimpse of what that car can do. I wanna race a TT with it, just to see...

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
sorry to hear that you lost. Its gotta suck to lose to your dad. But look at the bright side, atleast you have a dad that is willing to race you.

V

·
0 Posts
Dude,
540i is not a car to mess up with in freeway.It has respectable
top end.My friend used to have 540i 6 speen,and it kickc ass!!

The stock TT is faster I think,especially if you race from a stop.

V

·
0 Posts
By the way,please be more specific how he destroyed you.
It's interesting....:cool:

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It almost seemed that he gained power when he shifted, but he told me after that at WOT it's basically an even amount of power through all RPMs, while I was only keeping up with him from about 5000-6500, he gained on me whenever I shifted. By the time I hit 80 he already had about 5 legnths on me, I shutdown at 90 when I saw him shutdown I didn't wanna do the flyby on pops. He just called me and asked if they make M5's in automatic. Leave him alone he's gonna be 43 soon.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
WOW!!!... 5 car lengths is a lot by 80. :eek: . Nonetheless you gave it a good run. ;)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hmmm, I agree those 540i are pretty good for a sedan, the 97 puts out about 280hp. But they are pretty heavy compared to the SL, he should definitly have won, but 5 cars by 80 seems a lot.

A stock VR4 will kill a 540i off the line, and the 2nd gen will win from a roll although it would by no means a kill. The 1st gen will barely creep away from the 540i from a roll. Now throw in a boost controller and away u go...

·
og
4,293 Posts
i've had trouble with 740s and 540s... :( the 330 is a good race tho i haven't lost to one yet... hopefully i won't ;)

- mike

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a good view of his plates for a while, THX AOL (he got the car before the market plunged, hehe). I can tell my car wasn't really running at full potential, I'm sure a stick would have been able to keep up with him a little better, but def not beat him. I'm just waiting for the day he lets me drive her by myself.

·
Registered
678 Posts
i had a fun romp with an 850 with rims and exhaust at least in the mountains at home, he took me on the straights and i absolutely ate him up in the turns, old guy too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts