Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TEXAS TWN-TBO
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have details about this conversion and the parts needed to succesfully do the job??
Either post em here or shoot me an email please, I need some ballpark figures as to how much stuff I've got to order/buy, and how much to pay(im guessing about 2k-2500$$$) Thanks for the help...

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
Front bumper cover, hood, headlights and side markers, fog lights as well if you want those. Those parts will run you around $2000 depending on your source. Then there is labor and paint. I have heard that you may have to do some minor cutting to the real bumper on a 1st gen for this conversion. Unless you are going to do the labor yourself, you are likely looking at $2500+ before paint. If you paint the whole car after that(which you prolly should)then add on a paint job. $4000-$4500 is more realistic if you have a good shop do it for you.

Then there is the rear wing if you want to get into that, add more $$$.

Of course, there are always ways to save, used parts, do it yourself, etc. Have fun!

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
How complete of a conversion do you want?

Front end only:
99 Front Bumper = $550 - $600
2nd gen hood = I dont recall? $350?
2 headlights = ~500ea
2 turn signals = ~60ea

Full body:
2nd gen side skirts
spoiler = ~$1000 ($750 if you use the 25% off)
2 sail panels
rear bumper
rear tail piece (I dunno what its called. The thing that says 'Mitsubishi')

Am I missing anything?

~edit~ Just noticed Spirit's post.
You'll want the fog lights, too, if you're going all out :D

You can also sell your old pieces on the board, ebay, etc. to help recover some of the cost. You're definately looking at around $4000 - $4500 for a full conversion.

This isn't even mentioning the $750ea you'd pay for the stock 2nd gen VR4 chrome rims if you wanted to get those... then you'd need 18" tires....

You could probably find the rims used for a good deal less.

~edit2~ I'm a big dork and didn't notice that you only asked about the front end conversion. :)

·
TEXAS TWN-TBO
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just the front end is what im looking for. But isnt there a lot of brackets and mounting stuff thats different, like reinforcements etc...???

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
front clip, I think?

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
There's really no need for pictures. It'll look, front the front, just like a 99 vr4. Find a picture of a 99 :-D

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
You'll need to change or take out the crash bar. It is higher on the 99's.
Other than that you could buy a copy of a 99 from pearlr/t. Get the headlights/fogs/turns for around 1200-1400 probably. The another 500 for paint. And a hood for about 300-400.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
who needs a crash bar anyways? if you crash hard enuf for that to make a diff the 3k is gonna be totaled....

lemme rephrase... if i crash my 3k hard enuf to hit that, i want it to be totalled :)

·
2nd = 1st loser
91 Posts
But i mean,
before conversion
during conversion (details if possible)
and after the job the result (of the same car offcourse )

I hope someone has taken the hassel to do that while
working on the car!!

Adios::D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I would think that if you took out your crash bar, the insurance claims adjusters would see this and probably drop you like a fly. Just an idea :eek:

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
I removed my front crash bar... big aluminum piece... I replaced it with a bigger aluminum Front Mount Intercooler!

does the same thing in a crash right? :D

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
Did Pearl R/T ever made the direct drop-ons for the first gens? Once I get the VR-4 back in commission I'll be looking for one of those 99 front bumpers that allows me to keep my pop-up lights.

·
This is the End
100 Posts
Doing a '99 conversion on a 1G will require you or your body shop to cut the crash bar or totally remove it from the car. I opted to remove mine for weight savings and it will make that FMIC fit easier once the time comes for it! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts