Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Verified Seller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What’s up Vince! I got the name marauder from a rap group called A Tribe Called Quest. But I have seen the Mercury Marauder before lol.

I think I’m going to pull the 2 bolt out of my car and send that to Merkel for the rebuild.

I spoke to Derek at 3SX and he recommended I go that route considering I’m only shooting for 500whp.

·
Registered
91 VR4 wish scissors BBK wheels and tint
227 Posts
What’s up Vince! I got the name marauder from a rap group called A Tribe Called Quest. But I have seen the Mercury Marauder before lol.

I think I’m going to pull the 2 bolt out of my car and send that to Merkel for the rebuild.

I spoke to Derek at 3SX and he recommended I go that route considering I’m only shooting for 500whp.
While I admit that I'm not as knowledgeable as some on the board I thought over 450 was dangerous on a 2 bolt?

I plan on doing a mild build to mine as well, but I'm limiting myself to safe 91 octane builds

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

·
Verified Seller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The 2 bolt can handle 500whp from what I have seen and been told.

Just got off the phone with Dave who works with Ray Pampena, we are getting the ball rolling on building a 2 bolt, gathering parts, and getting the car shipped to him to have it put together.

·
One fix at a time
8,060 Posts
The 2-bolt block can handle a lot of power until the crank pushes away from the block. Install the 3SX ARP girdle kit and you’ll be good well above the 700-750wtq it pushes but at that point you’ll bend a forged crank. Install a forged 93-99 crank into a 2-bolt and it’ll handle just about anything you can throw at it with most bolt on TD04 and TD05 turbos given forged pistons and rods.

·
Verified Seller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Edited first post Dave M. in NY is doing the work and Ray will tune it. Pumped to get it back on the road!

·
Lovbyts
3,772 Posts
Not sure how or why it failed. One theory of the cause is when my "buddy" bounced it off the rev limiter at idle for about a minute.

Cant pinpoint it though maybe blown headgasket? It was smoking for about a week while continuing to drive it until it eventually died.

But it smokes like crazy and knocks pretty good
Got to love clueless friends. When I rebuilt my engine for the 3rd time because shops kept screwing up I had under 1000 miles on it and took a 13hr road trip from Seattle to Lake Tahoe. I let my friend drive for a couple hours while I caught some shut eye and he had the radio cranked so you couldn't really hear the RPMs. When I woke up he commented it was amazing how responsive the gas pedal was even doing 70+ mph. I looked over and we were running around 4K+ RPMs. He had it in 3rd gear instead of 5 for the last 1hr? Yeah the rings never set properly and I always get a little blow by. :(

I think he is the same one who killed my Stihl chainsaw by putting straight gas in it when I loaned it to him. Yeah Im a slow learner..

·
Verified Seller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
@ Paul H. I could never blame my buddy for the knock but that’s the last time I let him drive it for sure. I don’t think he respects the car at all.

·
Verified Seller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Still waiting to hear back from Dave M. in NY with the green light to send the car over there.

We have all parts needed for the swap including clutch, and the block has been machined at Merkel.

·
LS3S
2,231 Posts
This would be a good time to replace 1st and 2nd gear synchros in the trans if you have not done so yet
you may want to upgrade the trans to a 25 spline hardened output shaft and vcu add a bell housing brace if you plan on doing any hard launches
all this will also require a 25 spline transfer case with a brace
Agreed. If you want a reliable 500whp, make sure you do something to address the drivetrain. Even without hard launches, they can go fubar. I think there is something about the transfer case that is weak as well. Cannot recall exactly, but I think strengthening it is a thing.

·
Verified Seller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I’m gonna milk it for a while once I get it back, and in the winter when I park it I will get the transfer case brace and 300m output shaft.

For now the only thing it’s getting for the tranny is a clutch to handle the power.

And I don’t need 500whp right now, my focus is on getting it running and driving again.

E85 would be nice down the road once the trans is addressed.

·
Verified Seller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
She made it to NY in one piece. It’s out of my hands now let’s see how things go from here.

Dave says he can have the car turned around in a couple weeks.

Who knows maybe I’ll be back on the road by the end of August.

·
Verified Seller
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The motor is out and disassembled. No spun bearing but I did have a piece of a piston shoot into the intake valve causing the knock sound.

A lot of oil in the intercooler pipes and everywhere else from blowby.

Gonna switch it up and go with a Chrome ECU and some 550 injectors.

If anyone is in the market for a AEM v2 lmk!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts