Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find the leak that caused my A/C to stop working. I'm checking the o-rings for damage. There is a low side connection located near the driver's side shock tower. The connection is held together by a threaded rod with a nut on the exposed end on the threaded rod. Tried putting a socket wrench on the nut but only the nut unscrews. Has anyone found a way to open this a/c connector without damaging the exposed end of the threaded rod? I'd hope I wouldn't have to put a vise grip on the end of the threaded rod and destroy the exposed threads.

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
Get a can of R134A with leak detector dye and stop leak. Most of them have it in them now days to help stop small leaks and you use a UV light to find the leaks so you know what O-rings need replaced. In the mean time you still get to use your AC.

If you have to open up your system without being able to seal it and you let air into your system you will need to get a new AC condenser. They dont like being exposed to air.

Hopefully this will help a little.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already tried using a can of leak detect but couldn't shine my UV light on all the connections. I then tried a can of Max seal with no luck. I wish the lines for the A/C were easier to see in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Get a can of R134A with leak detector dye and stop leak. Most of them have it in them now days to help stop small leaks and you use a UV light to find the leaks so you know what O-rings need replaced. In the mean time you still get to use your AC.

If you have to open up your system without being able to seal it and you let air into your system you will need to get a new AC condenser. They dont like being exposed to air.

Hopefully this will help a little.
It is not the condenser, it is the accumulator, receiver dryer that does not like to be exposed to the atmosphere. They are cheaper and easier to replace. You do need to find the leak first. No reason to start tearing into things before you know what is broke unless you plan on replacing everything. Mine was leaking where the low pressure side attaches to the compressor, because everyone lifts them up to get at the timing belt area.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've already tried using a can of leak detect but couldn't shine my UV light on all the connections. I then tried a can of Max seal with no luck. I wish the lines for the A/C were easier to see in the engine compartment.
You should get a set of gauges and then determine if you have any pressure left. If not, you can pressurize the system with nitrogen and listen for the leak. I have been able to find leaks in places I could not see by listening. Once you hear it put some dish soap on it to see if it blows bubbles if it is small. You will need to pull a vacuum to dry out the system after you fix the leak. Good luck.

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
It is not the condenser, it is the accumulator, receiver dryer that does not like to be exposed to the atmosphere. They are cheaper and easier to replace. You do need to find the leak first. No reason to start tearing into things before you know what is broke unless you plan on replacing everything. Mine was leaking where the low pressure side attaches to the compressor, because everyone lifts them up to get at the timing belt area.

Ahh yes you are correct. I was just going off the top of my head and should have looked it up. Thanks for the correction

Reactions: KnockingStealth

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ahh yes you are correct. I was just going off the top of my head and should have looked it up. Thanks for the correction
No problem, I do that kind of thing a lot. BTW, Congrats on your 22nd 3si anniversary. I thought I had been around a while. :) Now I am starting to wonder who has been here the longest.

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
No problem, I do that kind of thing a lot. BTW, Congrats on your 22nd 3si anniversary. I thought I had been around a while. :) Now I am starting to wonder who has been here the longest.
Ha, I didnt even notice its been that long. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts