Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Dodge Stealth RT TT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 dodge stealth turbo. Car ran awesome then I got exhaust and now whenever I’m Wot 3000rpm or higher it will sputter and loss of power. I changed the spark plugs and gapped them to .34 to see if this would fix the problem but didn’t help. It has new spark plug wires.
I’ve searched the site but can’t really find anything exactly like I have going on. anyone know what I might have going on?

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,416 Posts
What "type" of exhaust did you get and what EXACTLY did they replace?

Have a hunch...

Bob.

·
Registered
1991 Dodge Stealth RT TT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took off cat and put magma flo muffler in place of it. Then back from muffler it’s 3” into duels out the back

·
13,416 Posts
Sounds like an EXCELLENT plan to free it up!

Here's my thought. Your cars ECU and MAF are constantly monitoring intake and exhaust flow.
They keep that info in capacitor backed RAM (memory, like a computer).

THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEED FIX, but it can not hurt:

Try disconnecting your battery for a few hours and then re-connect. (this will discharge the capacitors).

The ECU will try to "learn" the new info is it getting....

Was there anything besides the cat and catback done? (just in case there are other "things")

Bob.

·
Registered
1991 Dodge Stealth RT TT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like an EXCELLENT plan to free it up!

Here's my thought. Your cars ECU and MAF are constantly monitoring intake and exhaust flow.
They keep that info in capacitor backed RAM (memory, like a computer).

THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEED FIX, but it can not hurt:

Try disconnecting your battery for a few hours and then re-connect. (this will discharge the capacitors).

The ECU will try to "learn" the new info is it getting....

Was there anything besides the cat and catback done? (just in case there are other "things")

Bob.
No that’s all that was done with exhaust. I’ve had the car a month or so. all that has been done is new battery, spark plugs, clutch master and slave, and new battery. I’ll disconnect battery tonight then after work I’ll hook it back up and see it that helps. Thanks

·
13,416 Posts
Sorry, but I have to mention, when you disconnect the battery, "other" stuff will get reset....
Nothing to worry about, but it may take a couple of drives to get the car to idle like it used to...

Bob.

·
Registered
1991 Dodge Stealth RT TT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, but I have to mention, when you disconnect the battery, "other" stuff will get reset....
Nothing to worry about, but it may take a couple of drives to get the car to idle like it used to...

Bob.
Ok thanks. Good to know so I’m not freaking with more things wrong. Haha

·
Registered
278 Posts
What do you mean by "sputter"? Are you familiar with what fuel cut feels like? Around 3krpm does the car just fall flat on it's face and then kinda "buck" as you continue to try and accelerate and then smooth out above around 4500 if you get off the throttle and back on? If so you might be making too much boost while your fuel pump is still in low voltage mode. Basically the stock fuel pump has a relay to go from low voltage to high voltage around 3000rpms and/or heavy throttle. Anything that effects how early or how much you get boost makes this a huge problem. The fix is literally like $5 in some wire and female spade connectors. Go on stealth316 and there is a guide I think it is call "fuel pump relay bypass". The fix will make it so fuel pump has full voltage all the time so there is no fuel pressure lag.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
If you car is acting like this link below, its the ECU:

Here is after i installed the jester ECU with no other changes:

Get you computer rebuilt with new caps or get a jester ECU!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts