Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 60 of 113 Posts

·
Just Bring It
2,835 Posts
Hey, You know, aside from the References to Runstangs, we really haven't said anything bad about your cars. And not to mention the fact that you said you had 250hp, then 10HP came out of nowhere.

You asked for our opinions and you got it. If you were expecting us to say Oh, Yeah, your Mid Level Mustang could Take out a Top of the Line Stealth. Which has More HP. And Can take you off the line, then you came to the wrong place.

And now You talk about ALL These Mods YOU "COULD" Put on your Car. We could put a bunch of Mods on our car too. And How if you had a hooked up cobra you could take out a Stealth TT.

Well, if You did have a Cobra with those mods, you could beat a Stock TT. Great! If you had Two Turbos, You probably could Beat a Stock TT. Great. Do You have either? NO. Be Honest with yourself, the AWD adds weight, but it makes up for it in its launch.

My advice. GO to the Mustang WEBSITE, and ask them if you can beat a Stock Cobra with 305HP. Also you will need to tell them that the driver of this Cobra can launch at 4000-6000RPMs with no wheel spin. And see if they are any nicer to you.

Tuan Luu
1994 3000GT

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
All good points. My point about being able to build a V8 TT was not to say that the V6 isn't an awesome motor. I just know that with a bigger motor with more cylinders, I will be able to get more HP out of the motor alone (easily 450 from 351) and then add turbos.

Your V6s amaze me everytime I hear about them, unlike ANYTHING I have ever heard about a 4 banger.

I appreciate everyone's input, especially those that were of positive nature, and not just for the sake of argument.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm in the Austin area. I love my Car, and just about anything to do with any other car.

I have to admit those Stealth's intrigue the hell out of me. I was kinda tempted to look into them when my Uncle got his a week ago, but I love the aftermarket parts available for the 5.0, and like the thrill of spinning the hell out of those rear tires.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I started out liking Slam'd, for his moxy to come over and try to find out more about another car that may not be his cup of tea, but has some respect for, much like I have for his (incidentally, I am also a member of Corvetteforum.com, thirdgen.org, and the Corral). I can now see that you are stubborn for not thanking us for our opinions whether you agree with them or not and moving on, childish for having a verbal tantrum on OUR board for the same above reason, and cowardly for not proving what you're made of and racing your uncle or anyone else on this board in order to learn what our cars and yours can do. Thank you for visiting, good luck with your maturation process, come back in a year when you do all of your mods and may also become less insecure but I doubt it, now get lost, and take that other T-bird idiot whose only claim to fame is an independent rear suspension, with you.BTW, if I recall, jackass, the t-bird was also discontinued.
If this is an example of the maturity of Mustangs customers, I'm sure it won't be long until your car is discontinued as is ours, and soon to be, the GM f-body.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
hmmm austin is a little far....
Yeah there is a lot of fun and show in Blowing tires left and right... i have my Dart GTS for that reason... nice long burnouts.... too much fun though and not enough speed... I just can't hook up without serious mods
Have fun... and if your uncle offers you his car after you beat him... then take it and learn from us...
You know guys we are still learning a lot. Think of how much the 5.0 guys know about their cars... we really have a lot to learn... but the learning curve is slow... so I guess that is justhow it is... I know I don't have $15,000 to blow... But if I did I know how to spend it!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Here's the deal. I came on here looking for some input, because I don't like to lose. I do it regularly though (running brand new SS Camaro's, Supra TTs modded to high heaven, and RX-7s modded to high heaven on the highway - I am not telling you they were modded to say I could beat a stock TT of either, I am telling you this because of how BAD they murder me.) I appreciate the valid input I was given. I don't appreciate being razzed for driving a "Rustang".

I understand that a Mustang is not your car of choice. I also understand that you guys probably do eat 90% of Mustangs for lunch. I understand that most Stealth TTs would probably FEED ME MY LUNCH. I was asking this performance comparison in THIS instance. With a car with 120,000 miles on it, that DOES have TTs on it, and has probably been driven hard. Versus my 95 with 50,000 miles on it, near perfect tune with a couple of mods.

I know I didn't list my mods at first. It kinda made things hard to judge for you guys. That extra 10 HP that came out of NOWHERE was for when I started figuring in what WILL be there here in a week or so when I get the full length headers and h-pipe on.

I can handle you telling me that I am going to lose, but I don't understand the logic in telling me that this 300 hp 3800lb car can take my dad's Porsche.

My reasons being -
1. 320 hp (Porsche) vs 300 hp (Stealth)
2. 2000 miles on Porsche vs 120,000 on Stealth
3. Porsche is a Carrera 4 which means it has AWD too (Stealth can't launch on it)
4. 6 speed man (Porsche) vs 5 speed man (Stealth)
5. Porsche doesn't have to wait for boost, which means if you can keep it in the high rpms ABSOLUTELY no waiting for power.

I apologize, I lost my temper, I got caught up in the flame. I appreciate any input, and can't wait to find out what happens.

DON'T however call me a coward. The reason I have NOT raced one yet is up until my Uncle bought his I had never seen a 3si anywhere near my Stang. If I ever find a possible race with one, I am 100% sure I'll do everything I can to get him to go for it. The reason I haven't raced my Uncle is that he lives 40 or so miles from us, and I have been too busy with School/Work to go hunting for that him and his Stealth.

By the way Diablo, the T-Bird wasn't AXED, it was taken out of production long enough for them to restyle it, and take its image back to its heritage.

Mario, thanks for bringing me back down to earth. I appreciate your looking at this calmly in the midst of all the argument. I know it doesn't count for now, but by the time I am done with my Mustang I want 700+ hp at the tires. I am going to go with a built 351 Windsor with either a Vortech, or Twin Turbos. My goal is to be able to smoke the tires at 80 mph. I am going to try and keep a road race setup (not all that much for drag racing).

Thanks again for your input, and sorry I blew up on YOUR board.

[This message has been edited by Slamd95gt (edited December 08, 1999).]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I love modding no matter what the car. I would not go with the twin turbos though unless you want to go through a ton of work. Turbos are very difficult to tune when put on a non-turbo car. The best way to go is a supercharger for quick bolt on performance. Turbos are a harsh mistress and if not tuned right could cherry bomb everything. I am not saying you cant do it, several guys i know with N/A Supras have done it with positive results but ungodly hours of work. If you do either come back to this list, i know i would love to hear about it.

Cheers,
CWT

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have heard of quite a few Mustangs with TTs put on them. You have probably heard of the wide aray of aftermarket parts for the 5.0. I have seen numerous different Turbo kits for the Mustang. I am expecting quite a bit of work by the time that I am done with everything, but I have heard that the benefits of a Turbo on a 5.0 outweigh those of an SC.

Have heard that -

1. Since the 5.0 tends to be pretty loud, you usually can't even notice the noise of the Turbo (as opposed to SC whine)

2. The 5.0 already has plenty of torque/hp, so you have a strong motor before it gets boost, and one helluva ride after full boost.

3. Still gets pretty good gas mileage (as opposed to the parisitic SC).

4. I have heard that the belt from the supercharger sideloads the crank

I can't wait until I can afford to do it, and it should be a major handful to drive, but I think that is the fun in it. I like driving things that can quite easily get away from me. My favorite car that I have ever driven was a 2000 lb Cobra 427 Replica with a 385 hp 351W. That car was a HANDFUL.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Okay, so my venting caused probs, sorry. Anyway, Slammed man, Some guys are saying things look grim, others are saying just do it, so really you aren't getting slammed just try it so we know. I am rooting for you! Just cause you're young and old guys suck
heh heh... (I was meaning vette owners not the respectable, paternal angels we have here.... he hee hee!) Also we have all heard the give a 350 two turbos, or give my 460 a couple... problem with it is that it is like me saying give me 102 more cubes, let me buy two more blocks and run them all... 3.0L Means we doing the best we can out of half the cubes. Oh and yes I have driven vehicles that will smoke the tires at 70... in an automatic not powershifting... SPIN IS BAD. If you spin and ALL mustangs do, you could be faster. We normally suffer from bogging, even on a good run we are hard pressed to be putting the AWD to the limits, I have acheived wheel spin a good deal now, and next time at the track I won't post a pathetic 13.5
As far as your reasons behind turbo instead of SC.. good points, however you will want to drop your compression down a little and use forged everything. Technically we have a decent motor to start with too... remember that the NA 3.0 still makes 222HP, we lower the pistons and then bump with the TT up only 100HP.

GOOD LUCK! And just drive there tonight... it sucks when you gots work and school, but just do it and then you will go home and be able to think on where you are rather than on this board, and this race. Trust me, I drive 150 miles a day, and I think a lot better for it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
There is no doubt that a Mustang has a tremendous amount of inexpensive aftermarket support, as do the other domestics, and that is a good reason to buy one. Guys keep in mind, that when a power window regulator goes in my vette (as apparently is also somewhat common in 3si), I can buy any number of individual components or the entire piece from about 6 different catalogs, and even choose between grades of quality within each catalog. That is the downside to our cars. We have typically one source that tells us the entire piece must be changed, even for just a small plastic gear.
In John Lingenfelters book ( he's a vette guru), he really doesn't think highly of superchargers for the most part, whether they be paxton, vortech or whipple, due to the problems they seem to have with maintaining pressure. I had thought of going paxton on my project car (retrofitted TPI stingray)because the wife doesn't like NOS, but after reading his book, where he has tested just about every type of product in his lab, I decided that the best way to build up a NA domestic motor, is to concentrate on the motor itself i.e increasing comp. ratio, increase displacement, and optimize air flow (not the same as increase). Just some thoughts to consider. Check out his book at Indigo or something, interesting for any enthusiast.
Slam'd, I for one never doubted what the Porsche could do. But to help us think "logically", what you need to do is tell us more about the times those cars have run. I personally have no idea, and don't care much for exotics, cause I wouldn't buy one, and few of those that do, race them. Additionally, what pisses me off, is the convoluted logic around here, where when someone comes on posts their quickest time, and says can your cars beat that, we state our times, then they "well, your car weighs more, or you have turbo lag, etc, so I would beat you". That is so illogical . If you are comparing ET's, than those numbers must determine the winner (in theory). If we have no actual timeslips, than we can compare hp, torque, weight, and the subjective opinions of AWD, and boost. Do you see my point?
As far as the T-bird being axed? Whatever. Looks like you're reading off of a Ford brochure. Hope it sounds as nice when "they go back to the Mustangs heritage" and dump the v8, as they keep saying they will.
So when Mitsu brings back the 3000gt in 2002 as is speculated, we can all say it was never gone, eh guys? All done with mirrors.
BTW, Slam'd nice recovery. Your stock went up with me again LOL!

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
hell guys, it's all about testosterone; who has the bigger better faster car...but screw that. anyone can make a car faster if they have the money. who cares if someones car is faster or slower. who cares about turbos, exhaust, intake etc,etc...it's all just shit to talk about blah, blah, blah. and if you want to race, put your money where your mouth is. and if you loose, be a good sport about it. have fun with it, don't take things so seriously. after all, most sports cars are fun to drive, that's why they are called 'sports cars'. and diversity is great. if everyone drove the same thing, life would be pretty boring, right? learn to appreciate things for what they are and be happy about doing your own thing. just appreciate driving for what it is...fun.
just-wake up and drive....
(this post is NOT directed at any particular person)
kevin calvano

[This message has been edited by kcalvano (edited December 08, 1999).]

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
WHY DONT U TAKE A HIKE TROLL BOY. U HAVE NO CHANCE. MUFFSTANGS R DOGS. I HAVE NEVER LOST TO ONE YET, NOT SAYING THEY R ALL SLOW. COBRA'S R KINDA SWEET I STILL BURY THEM LIKE NOTHING THOUGH. GO RACE YOUR UNCLE FESTER AND GET YOUR SPANKING, MAKE SURE AFTER HE BEATS U CAUSE HE KNOWS HE WILL THAT U GIVE HIM A CACTUS TO NIBBLE ON........ WHERE DO U LIVE I WILL RACE U IT WOULD BE HILARIOUS. I SWEAR I BEAT A 96GT BUT THIS SMUCK HAD COBRA EMBLEMS ON THE FENDERS AND A SALEEN BUMPER ON THE REAR IN MY GIRLS 99 GRAND AM GT. WITH MY BUDDY COMING HOME FROM THE STRIP CLUBS IN CANADA WE WENT FROM 55-115 I SWEAR IM TELLING THE TRUTH I HAD HIM BY A COUPLE OF CARS AND IT WAS NOT A V6 IT WAS A V8 GT... THAT WAS HILARIOUS. ILL RUN U WITH THE GA. LATER.IS YOUR NAME EDDIE?? MUNSTER?? beat it u troll.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm sorry being a former 95 Mustang GT owner and now a VR-4 Spyder owner I have a love / hate type relationship with Mustangs. A friend of mine has a 93' VR-4 and the first gens feel really disapointing to me Another friend has a 92 Stealth TT and first I raced a 1993 Mustang GT I beat him easily ( but I have a good amount of mods) and the stealth just pulled it out and the 'Stang was stock. I think if you have 250 or so horse quater mile you'll have him beat, if you get to higher speeds your weight advantage will go away and his gearing will win the rest.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah turbos are better then the supercharger but you must factor in the cost. For the SC all you pay for is the SC and bolt that little bitch right up on a stock motor. Now to get any kind of decent returns from a turbo you need to lower compression to 8.0 to 8.5 and then run piping and find a place to put an intercooler if you are looking to put out any kind of boost. Plus it takes quite a bit more to tune a turbo set up compared to the SC. But after all the money and time with the turbos if you can pull it off i would love to see it because youare right it would kick ass. I would buy a Cobra rear end so you could have,as it is so lovingly referred to, IRS. I have a CT-26 Toyota turbo for sale if you want to get started early...hehe. When you do this definitely post to the list.

Cheers,
CWT

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
hey turboprix
a 99 v6 mustang would whip a 99 grand am, so I'm pretty sure that a v8 model from any year of the new body style would whip that grand am
the 94 mustang, which was the first year of the new body style ran a 6.7 0-60...and that number has dropped each year following...they now run a 5.4 0-60
the 99 grand am GT runs a 7.7 0-60...and if you have enough money to subscribe to any car magazine you could read it for yourself
just thought you might want to know that
hell, even my T-Bird could run that grand am ...and it's a 95 year model too...my 0-60 from the factory was 7.0

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
and Diablo, I can gaurantee you that the T-bird has many other claims to fame besides IRS...I was just making a point to your buddy who thought that the Mustangs and Thunderbirds were both live axle cars...I don't really give a damn if you think that is the only thing worth a shit on my car...and if you want to see a 2000 Thunderbird, go here: http://www.as.net/~jeffers/blackbird.html... so tell me again where your precious 2000 stealth is again, oh yeah, my bad, they don't make them

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I've had nothing to do with this post until now but I just have to say 95T-Bird....you are a real PRICK!!! Everyone was just starting to get along then you had to come around again and mess things up!! I'm not a competitive person, that's why I 've thought this post has been a waste of time. I just like my car cause it has alittle bit of everything I wanted and I have simply always wanted one. And for your info, I use to have a 99 Dakota RT and have spanked a many of Mustangs new and old(bone stock may I add). And don't give me any shit about the New Lightnings cause I've seen them put in their place by Dakota RT's(yeah there fast with a supercharger already on them). As a matter of fact I never lost a race with it!! So take your piss poor attitude and remove your gas pedal from your ass and move along to some forum or some else who will sympathize with you!! Stop wasting our space with ignorant one track delusions and get a life!!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I was enjoying this little flame war until the jerk with the TBird had to come along. Ive got a 94 base model stock 3000 and just the other day I was behind some guy in a maroon Tbird. He would come to a stop and gun it so much that his muffler would hit the ground. I guess that is why he didnt have a bumper. I dont know much about cars but I do know he had a huge guage on his dash and what sounded like flows. I figured he would out do me at the next light, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. I pulled up next to him and listened to him play with his gas. When the light turned, I dumped the clutch around 3500 and burned the tires, but got a pretty good jump. Bottom line is I spanked him like a dirty nun and to tell you the truth i think any of the guys on this board would run off and leave that Tpidgeon that you drive. Like the other guy said, stay in your own league and get a life.

[This message has been edited by Red3K (edited December 08, 1999).]

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ok, Im not here to cause trouble, just here to comment on the thread.
MightyAL, to answer your question about the tbird suspension:
Rear:
IRS
8.8" Diff
A-Arm Style
Front:
Macpherson Strut
I have to say, comparing tbirds, mustangs, and stealths is a null point. They are 3 very different cars, each designed for a separate type of person. Once, again, Im not trying to muddy the waters, just thought I'd Comment.
'95 Tbird LX
4.6L V8
Vortech Supercharger
3.73 Gears
Complete exhaust
80mm MAF
and more...(www.ptelcom.com/ace/mybird)

41 - 60 of 113 Posts