Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Iam trying to figure out why, when up to operating temperature, my Stealth goes to limp mode. Have 11 pins on the connector by the fuses. 7 on the left side and 4 on the right. Does anyone have anything that shows
orientation of the connector pins and diagnostic codes?

I understand that I won't be able to use the CHECK ENGINE light but should connect between pins 1 and 12 with an analog meter. No sweat, I can do that standing on my head
if only I knew the orientation of the connector.

My phone is 281-518-7743 and FAX is 281-514-7985. Call me, FAX me or E-MAIL me please.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
(If your email address worked for me, this is what you would have got ten minutes ago)

This is for my 1991 Stealth, and may or may not apply to whatever year you have.

Top left pin is 1, bottom right is 12, and they read from top-left to bottom-left, then top-right to bottom-right.

It's been a while since I looked at mine, and I *do* recall that there were gaps between some of the pins, and that it was not evenly balanced with 6 on the left and 6 on the right, but I'm just mildly curious about your saying 7 on the left and 4 on the right, which makes me think that ours are not the same.

Oh well, read it and see what you get. I've even forgotten which is the ground pin, but I think that it's 12. This means that you hook one clip to 12, and then touch the other clip to the other pins, 1 through 11, reading any codes on any of them.

The shop manual does NOT have a single convenient spot wherein all codes are listed. Rather, you have to go to a particular section of the manual (like Brakes, or Engine), and then see how to read the codes for that particular piece of hardware, and what they mean. So it's somewhat inconvenient looking up codes unless you already know what you're looking for.

In any case, if you read any codes, let me know what you get and what pins they are, and I'll see if I can find them. Might be a delay - I'm off work tomorrow, and not back til Monday, so you wouldn't get any answer til Tuesday morning.

One note - a code of continuous short pulses means "normal", or "nothing to report". And I think that it's the long pulses that are the 10s digit, and short pulses that are the 1s digit.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Andrew, Sorry about the E-MAIL address. Got confused. Its [email protected] or [email protected]

--------------I've even forgotten which is the ground pin, but I think that it's 12. This means that you hook one clip to 12, and then touch the other clip to the other pins, 1 through 11, reading any codes on any of them.-------------- Correct this to read "ground pin 12 and NEG of meter with POS of meter to pin 1. Turn key to on and pin 1 will pulse error code."

Received and printed out a document from DATTRAKKER. Verified that the information is correct as I have been succesful in following the instructions and obtained an error code of 53.

Actually I deviated from instructions slightly: Sense I am at work now and the car is in the parking lot and I didn't have an analog meter available, I used an LED in series with a 470 ohm resister to substitute for the meter. Just made sure that the ANODE of the LED is connected to pin 1 (+) of the connector and that the CATHODE of the LED is connected to GND thru the 470 ohm resister. Also grounding pin 12 as instructed and turning on the key resulted in 5 long flashes, pause, and 3 short flashes. Teriffic!

What is a 53? The dealer said I needed an ignition coil, but I tried that with no help.

Thanks, must be more to it.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited December 16, 1999).]

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I'll look up 53 for you tonight. But, as I said, answer won't be here til Monday morning.

Now that you have a code, and in order to avoid waiting all weekend, you might try posting a new thread with a title like "what does this diagnostic code mean", or "who has a shop manual in front of them right now this very minute", and see if you can get an answer sooner.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Find code 53. Says could be ignition coil, intermittent connection, or ignition power transistor unit. Have tried coil with no effect. A new transistor unit is $205.00. I have removed it from the mount on the corner of my block under the coil and mounted it to a heatsink and to the bracket that holds the coolant overflow. Can run longer now than before which tells me that it is probably the culprit. Will find another at a salvage yard I guess. I think that I will leave it on the heatsink. Looks good, will probably last long time. Also have installed perminent fail code light. Pin 1, the upper left side pin on the diagnostic connector flashes code continually anytime that the key is on or your running.

[This message has been edited by Ray (edited December 17, 1999).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts