Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 R/T Twin Turbo
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did an engine replacement o my Stealth, it's all hooked back up but the damn thing won't start. I have power, but when I turn the key over, I get nothing. We jumped the starter to see if it would fire and the car started, turned it off immediately, but the car will not start from the ignition. When I turn the key to on, the Anti Theft light does not go off, it stays on. Could my starting issue be he Anti Theft system? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
92 3000gt VR4 money pit edition
6 Posts
I would think the anti theft system would be disabled by unlocking the driver door with the key. Unless... Does it have an aftermarket alarm?

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,360 Posts
Could my starting issue be he Anti Theft system?
Yes it could be, there’s a starter disable control relay controlled by Anti Thief system. It’s located on drivers side of consol, just unplug it and then check if starter will work but don’t forget to push clutch down because of it’s safety switch.
Anti - theft relay.JPG

·
Registered
91 R/T Twin Turbo
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thank you, I did what you said and it did turn over but still not starting. We pulled a plug wire to see if we have spark and there's no spark, what can that be?

·
Registered
91 R/T Twin Turbo
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also can I leave that anti theft starter relay unplugged? If not, how do I test the relays to see if they are good

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,360 Posts
there's no spark, what can that be?
Check #1 Dedicated Fuse in under hood relay box for the MFI circuit, likely marked ECI on box cover.
Dedicated Fuses in relay box.JPG Click on image to enlarge

Also can I leave that anti theft starter relay unplugged?
Yes you can leave it unplugged, it just disables the starter only when anti theft is activated.

·
Registered
91 R/T Twin Turbo
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, still have no spark or fuel, what else could be wrong? The fuel is not getting to the injectors

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,360 Posts
Okay, still have no spark or fuel, what else could be wrong? The fuel is not getting to the injectors
Wow… no spark or fuel, seems something major missing which makes me wonder how it started when you jumped the starter.
Anything done (changed or added) after that?
You didn't indicate if #1 dedicated fuse was good or not, do you have multi-meter and know how to use it?

At this point I’d just have to suggest basics to narrow down where problem might be.

First check 15amp #12 fuse in fuse box under dash, it’s far right fuse of second row that feeds power to ECU which is needed to control power for spark and fuel pump for fuel.
fuse box.JPG

If that’s OK the best next step would be ECU power checks in attempt to find what’s missing. See below procedure and let us know any reading that’s not correct, where you see “SV” which stands for standard value that indicates battery voltage ~ 12 volts.

·
Registered
91 R/T Twin Turbo
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the #1 dedicated fuse under the hood, it looked like it might of been flawed, so I changed it and I checked the MFI relay itself and tested it, it seemed like it was bad, so I put another one in and it wouldnt crank over again, so I put the old MFI back in and it still wouldnt crank, so once again I changed it and it did crank over. I don't understand what is going on, it seems that there is a short somewhere. Anymore suggestions?

I haven't tried the last suggestion yet, but I'm getting ready to. I'm stumped here, don't have any idea what could be going on. Any help is appreciated.

I'll let you know about the last suggestion, in a little while. Thanks for all the help.😁

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,360 Posts
I checked the MFI relay itself and tested it, it seemed like it was bad, so I put another one in and it wouldnt crank over again, so I put the old MFI back in and it still wouldnt crank, so once again I changed it and it did crank over.
Yeah something weird going on here, MFI relay can’t affect the starter in fact you could completely unplug it and starter should still work.

Might check the battery plus cable for being clean and tight to battery post. Also check smaller wire from that clamp for being clean and also tight, it feeds power to relay box which could cause some of your problems. Also make sure positive wire at starter is tight and the small wire spade connector is snug on the solenoid (S) spade for solenoid activation.

·
Registered
91 R/T Twin Turbo
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the #12 fuse inside the car, however I have some pics I'd like you to see so maybe you can explain what somebody had done.

These wires are in the #4 and #9 position???

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,360 Posts
These wires are in the #4 and #9 position???
Somebody used fuse sockets to pickup power for who knows what. Only way to find out is trace where wires end up. Lighting is not good enough to tell for sure if Red wire is to #4 position but if correct that is what normally supplied power to fog lights & relay for them. But the Green wire with white stripe looks to be in #8 position instead of #9, if correct that normally feed power to condenser fan motor at radiator. I can’t tell from picture if there’s even a fuse still in those two locations.

·
Registered
91 R/T Twin Turbo
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay peeps,

I'm still having an issue, I did everything that you had suggested. I tested the ECU and I'm going to say that my ECU is fried. Everything that I was testing was coming out at .001 - .036 when it should be 12.0 at least. Now originally my battery wires fell apart and when I hooked it up, I put the positive wire to the fuse box backwards, it was actually hooked to the negative cable, because my cables are not color defined, MY BAD. So the question here is when I plugged into the battery and it arced, could that have fried my ECU. PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,360 Posts
So the question here is when I plugged into the battery and it arced, could that have fried my ECU. PLEASE HELP.
First thing you need to understand is that anybody here trying to help you, can not see what’s actually being done by you so clear descriptions of what you actually did is of most importance. Like you saying plugged into battery, I’m wondering where you got a battery with a plug socket and what you placed there. Sounds like you hooked up battery backwards causing a spark (somewhere:unsure:), where that may have been and if noticeable damage was done might give a clue to what might have been damaged elsewhere.

Hard to say sitting here if it fried ECU, could have just taken out fusible links, dedicated or multi fuses. By you not reporting voltage readings from different pins from ECU test, nobody can evaluate what might be missing like did you have any power at all to pin #62 with key actually turned on (we can’t see if it was) etc. Like do you now have battery and cables correct with smaller positive wire now running from larger positive battery clamp to relay box (maybe what your calling fuse box)?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts