Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 91 3000gt VR-4. It's has 126k on it and had the 120k service done earlier in the year. It's been adult owned and driven. What should I be looking for? Are there any checklists that I can get that will aid with inspecting the car? What are common problems with this year with this many miles. I'm going to be paying close attention to the transmission, but other than that I'm not sure what I need to focus on. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Charlie
A wannabe VR-4 owner.

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
There are tons of electrical things. Make sure all of these work. Cruise Control, headlight popup, windows, etc.

Check the dash for idiot lights. ABS and SRS. Sometimes this stuff not working can be because of a single fuse.

Also mechanicaly you seem to have the bases covered. Make sure the 60K was a full tuneup with oil and water pumps. Of course the timing belt.

May want to get recall stuff done if it hasn't been. Check the technical service bulletens for more info. They can be found many places on the net. Look on 3si.

With almost 150K it is getting possibly close to rebuild time. See if the thing smokes either white/blue or black. Also check the idle speed. I think it should be around 700. You may want to verify that.

I am no mechanic or anything. These are some things I have learned on this forum. This place is an awesome source of info.

·
14 psi on tap
112 Posts
rebuild

randy, when you say "rebuild", are you talking whole engine, or are you talking tranny? Both? just curious cuz my 92 Stealth TT is approaching the 150 K mark (idle @ 750 & no smoke). I'm wondering if i need to start pinching the pennys (and nickles and dimes....)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I looked at it earlier today. The thing looked like it was babied it's whole life. Interior was almost perfect, only the shift boot showed wear. The engine was clean, no leaks, sounds, or smoke. Although, should I be able to hear the turbos spool? I wasn't listening specificly for that, but didn't notice it (from inside while driving). All it really needs is a paint job. I was impressed with performance too.

Charlie

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
I am just really talking about gaskets. Like I said I am no mechanic but I do know that 150-200K miles is a lot even for an import and it is getting close to needing some life breathed into it. This is more of a preventative thing. I'm not saying you should fix something if it isn't broke though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts