Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Flasher
9,650 Posts
Six speeds are fun. I can cruise at 80 mph on the freeway @ 2300 rpm. Sixth gear is good for gas mileage.
110mph through 2 states got me 28mpg last year. :)

Didn't work out so well in the 3rd state. That shiz was srs bsns :(

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,119 Posts
Lots of oooh's, shaking my head in amazement, mhm's, nodding my head, and yeps. The gearing isn't what I'd prefer if I had my ultimate choice, kind of sad really that 4th gear is 160 in a tt (what about 5th? lol). It's kind of sad because I'll never know 1st hand... it's there, but just staring at me like a tease. I figured one day to get a vr4, but... not so much maybe. Maybe for the AWD yeah, but not so much for playing through all the gears. Since I never drove a tt, was really curious to hear from those who do. That is really really interesting info there. amazed honestly. Big thanks for sharing!!!
you can still row through the gears on a VR4. you just dont take it up past 3-4K before you shift. I cruise around town (35mph speed limit) generally in 4th gear without any problems. the engine makes enough torque, even at low RPMs that it has no problem at that speed. even going up a hill, unless its a steep one, it does fine.

every now and then you still want to get on the throttle though. around here, the interstate on ramps (and some back roads) work well for that.

·
Thread Killer
2,029 Posts
5speeds get good gas mileage too. I can cruise in rush hour on the fast lane in neutral @ 800rpm.
What are you in neutral getting pushed by the cars behind you? Thats like saying my SLTT gets good gas mileage because its been parked for 2 years lol

·
SOHC you in the FACE
5,762 Posts
Well the 6g72 bottom end is built to rev like few others, the top end is fine for stock limiters. I have no fear of riding a rev limiter during a burnout. Valve float will kill off power before you ever hurt anything when you increase the rev limiter to a certain point.

Stock for Stock, a 6 speed transmission car hits the end of the 1/4 in the same gear as a 5 speed. If we are talking about subjective "how fast a car is in my head based on an imaginary situation that is biased towards one transmission," then you are kinda cheating to prove yourself correct.

Transmission choice depends on exactly what others have said. Powerband (which includes your rev limiter, where/if your hp drops off enough that you need to short shift, how far power drops when you shift and rpms drop, etc), final trap speed, ability to keep things from exploding (what upgrades needed etc). After thinking about that stuff your car has to be fast enough to even need to shift to 4th in the 6 speed. If you have a VERY fast car you will still need to shift to 4th in the 5 speed and then you have lost ALL advantages because your 4th gear will be VERY short and basically a waste of a gear change.
Matt's stock junk parts bottom end didn't like 151+mph (since he went faster then 151 before letting off and trap speed is an average of 2 points) in 3rd gear.

I am a fan of holding a gear as long as your transmission will shift. Do the math and even if HP drops off a lot on the top end, the gearing advantage is in your favor in many situations. HP on the top end actually needs to drop well below the low rpm hp you make when you shift. The difference would be equal to the gear ratio difference.

·
1g lip guru.
1,608 Posts
Just rock an MR 6speed. You get the superior 5 speed gearing, with the gas sipping cruising ability of the 6 speed. Best of both worlds.

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
683 Posts
Just rock an MR 6speed. You get the superior 5 speed gearing, with the gas sipping cruising ability of the 6 speed. Best of both worlds.
What? I believe you are mistaken good Sir. The 5-speed's superiority is that its gears are very long; the MR gearing is shorter than the US 6-speed (which is already shorter than the 5-speed). Also, 6th gear in the MR is almost the same ratio as 5th in the 5-speeds. Overall you really gain the best of neither world...

The real advantage of the MR 6-speed is acceleration, as all the gearing is short (at least in comparison to the US versions). I'm sure it's a blast to drive with a lightly modified VR4, but once you're making real power you'll want the longer gearing. My Talon's short gears were really fun when the car was near stock, but at 300awhp it burns through the gears so fast I feel like I need a ratchet-shifter...

As for 80mph in 2nd, totally reasonable. Granted though you'll be right at the stock 7272rpm rev limiter. The 5-speed gearing is just ridiculously tall; especially compared to my DD. Having driven the Talon for years, it still feels very weird to get on the express-way with the Stealth in 2nd...

Comparison goodness:

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
I had options a couple of years ago.

Option 1 stick with the 5 speed.
Option 2 take the 6 speed from my wrecked 94 and donate it to the 93 and do the mr conversion.

Option 3 go full us 6 speed conversion.

I asked Matt Monet, Ray Pampena, and Chris Hill what shoul d I do for a dd that was sporting evo 3's and 500-600 awhp.

They all said without hesitation, stick with the 5 speed as they all het the same gas mileage at the speed limit. Only while breaking the speed limit does the us 6 speed take a advantage. In the quarter the 5 speed has the advantage on the rest down the track but the shorter gearing helps the launch. Overall down the track is better. Chris even stated once he believed t4 would have been faster had it had a 5 speed in it.

·
Asks Dumb Questions
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I had options a couple of years ago.

Option 1 stick with the 5 speed.
Option 2 take the 6 speed from my wrecked 94 and donate it to the 93 and do the mr conversion.

Option 3 go full us 6 speed conversion.

I asked Matt Monet, Ray Pampena, and Chris Hill what shoul d I do for a dd that was sporting evo 3's and 500-600 awhp.

They all said without hesitation, stick with the 5 speed as they all het the same gas mileage at the speed limit. Only while breaking the speed limit does the us 6 speed take a advantage. In the quarter the 5 speed has the advantage on the rest down the track but the shorter gearing helps the launch. Overall down the track is better. Chris even stated once he believed t4 would have been faster had it had a 5 speed in it.
:) This :) Thank you for taking the time to post this, too. :)

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I know a lad whose gone from 5spd to 6spd and he hates it!.

As it stands for me going 6spd would be detrimental for my quarter mile with 117 trap would have to be hitting over 125 to make any sense changing..

I've managed a properly timed mid 4 second 0 to 60 mph ln the 5spd anyone taking 5.9 ssconds clearly isn't trying very hard or at all..

·
1g lip guru.
1,608 Posts
What? I believe you are mistaken good Sir. The 5-speed's superiority is that its gears are very long; the MR gearing is shorter than the US 6-speed (which is already shorter than the 5-speed). Also, 6th gear in the MR is almost the same ratio as 5th in the 5-speeds. Overall you really gain the best of neither world...

The real advantage of the MR 6-speed is acceleration, as all the gearing is short (at least in comparison to the US versions). I'm sure it's a blast to drive with a lightly modified VR4, but once you're making real power you'll want the longer gearing. My Talon's short gears were really fun when the car was near stock, but at 300awhp it burns through the gears so fast I feel like I need a ratchet-shifter...

As for 80mph in 2nd, totally reasonable. Granted though you'll be right at the stock 7272rpm rev limiter. The 5-speed gearing is just ridiculously tall; especially compared to my DD. Having driven the Talon for years, it still feels very weird to get on the express-way with the Stealth in 2nd...
I've been living a lie this whole time.

·
Stealth Like A Ninja
3,267 Posts
Pfft, that explains why my Dad pleaded and begged me to not get the vr4 and swore & promised the SL would do. Been thinking when the engine finally goes THEN I'll mod & upgrade everything. 80 in 2nd, even 75, sweet...
If you take care of it THIS wont happen not to mention that its not even worth converting the whole car...or even just the engine.

Buy a VR4 unless you like long projects with random amounts of cutting and welding.

·
Asks Dumb Questions
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
If you take care of it THIS wont happen not to mention that its not even worth converting the whole car...or even just the engine.

Buy a VR4 unless you like long projects with random amounts of cutting and welding.
Tryin' to take care of it yeah, and a spare engine off a totaled 47k just in case. I got nervous when it turned over 200k, but 250k+ and still a good engine. The electrical is killin me at the moment though.

I was always curious about the tt's speeds/gear ratios, and with 5sp being so much fun, how much more fun would that extra gear be? How different it would actually be to have a tt? This thread answered so many questions I wouldn't have even thought to ask, so thankful! and quite happy with the 5sp all things considered :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I got my vr4 at 17, and learned to drive stick in it. Its a ton of fun and as long as you know that it will go faster then you should ever go stock, then your fine. You just have to limit yourself, I've done 130 and that's about as fast as I want to go since the speeding ticket would be crazy, loss of lisence and all.id love to have a standing mile though

41 - 54 of 54 Posts