Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I almost hate to post this, but it does shed some light on the Z28 vs. VR4 discussion.

It was Saturday afternoon I94 headed East in Maple Grove towards Minneapolis. Temp was about 25 degrees with about a 20mph tail wind, sunny with mild to low traffic. ANYWAY...
I had the cruise set in 5th gear at about 75 and I saw in my mirror a white Chevy Yukon or something of the sort coming up on my left. I was in the center lane and on my right, I saw from around the other side, a red 2000ish Z28 coming a bit faster... like he snuck around the right side of the slower car behind me to beat the Yukon... like either he was racing the Yukon or just going faster and didn’t want to wait for it. Of course, at this point, my mouth starting watering at the opportunity to finally race something that might give me a challenge. So I downshifted to 4th at about 80 and punched it... the Z28 got behind me and then moved into the left hand lane slightly behind me but accelerating slowly beside me (I’m still in the middle lane but with traffic ahead). Keep in mind, at this point, the Yukon is WAY behind us and the Z28 was ready to go! I have no idea at this point how fast we are going as we were side by side (I’m guessing around 120 or so and my foot was in it). I had to move into the right hand lane to pass a car and at that point I shifted to 5th. I was pegged at 15psi and accelerating at a pretty good rate. All of a sudden I looked over and the Camaro was pulling away at an amazing rate. He did the obligatory arm wave as he flew by. He had some traffic in front of him in both his (left) lane as well as the center lane so had to either get over or slow down... the funny thing is that he did neither! He moved onto the shoulder (on the left) and passed the cars on the left at full speed. At that point, I figured it was time to slow down.

It was fun, but definitely not worth an accident of that magnitude or a ticket at the very least. I'm guessing we got up to about 130 - 140 before slowing down, but he definitely got me at that speed.

Now, I’m not sure how accurate our speedometers are at that speed, but he definitely had more power at the top end.

My mods are a boost controller (set to 15psi max), Intake, gutted cats and a test pipe.

After slowing down and driving at normal speeds, I caught up to him again and saw no obvious mods. He had stock exhaust, no extreme ricer/type gauges, hood scoops, rims or anything other than a stock look. I'm guessing, because of the 'look' of the car, the age of the kid driving and the overall style of his car, that this was probabaly stock.

I'm not sure if this helps the argument/discussion of the 97+ Z28 vs VR4, but with my ONE experience, from 80+, I lost.... but it was very fun!

She's got all winter to think about her first loss while she sits in the garage staring out at the snow!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
sucks to lose! oh well though you gave it a good shot. them ls1's are no joke against a un-bpu's 3/s. try getting a dp.

he shouldnt have been pulling away from you THAT much with your mods unless he had something else. stock they usually trap around 106-107.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
i dont think its a secret that the ls1 will pull on our cars at speeds that high. i think you did pretty well given your mods at speeds as high as you were going. maybe you couldve pulled a bit on him at lower speeds.. but from a roll with an ls1, z28 or ss, you better be pretty well modded. remember, a z28 is just a debagged ss pretty much, just missing intake and exhaust for power differences.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
servidjo said:
i dont think its a secret that the ls1 will pull on our cars at speeds that high. i think you did pretty well given your mods at speeds as high as you were going. maybe you couldve pulled a bit on him at lower speeds.. but from a roll with an ls1, z28 or ss, you better be pretty well modded. remember, a z28 is just a debagged ss pretty much, just missing intake and exhaust for power differences.
hes almost bpu minus an exhaust and intake. i kept up and even pulled a bit on a WS6 from a 60-100mph roll with my mods. ya dont have to be pretty well modded to give a stock one a run for its money.

my mods are i/e/bc/dp/hf cat/udp.

·
Spyder VR4
178 Posts
question

why did you downshift into 4th instead of 3rd. From 80-110 third gear will pull a lot harder then 4th. Is your car a 5 or a 6 speed? Unless you like to cruise in 5th for some reason I thought all 94+ VR4's were 6 speeds.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, you are both right... 3rd would have been a better choice in retrospect, but at the time, I didn't really think much about 3rd... afterall, it was just a camaro and I didn't really know what to expect.

·
Spyder VR4
178 Posts
"2nd reason your car is green...j/k "

ha ha ha, green cars are slower.....or you could look at it the other way green is the color geniuses pick

·
650's installed, yea baby
659 Posts
Re: "2nd reason your car is green...j/k "

19943000gtvr4 said:
ha ha ha, green cars are slower.....or you could look at it the other way green is the color geniuses pick
Inside joke, he gives me crap about my 96+ tan leather interior so i give him crap about the color of his car. All in fun. I used to have a green 93TT.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, and thank you... I am a genious!

So believe me when I say the color of your car does say alot about a person, but the color of your interior says the most!

·
MN 3/S Organizer
2,063 Posts
Hmm.... I've never lost to an F-body at Rock Falls. And I'm 2-1-1 on the streets with F-bodies. The loss coming to an 00 WS6 with the Hypertech tuner, fuel mods, intake, exhaust. :eek:

Of course all of these are 1/4 mile races. The LS1 F-bodies are tough competition on the high end.

Levi, you should really get rid of that green car, its just slowing you down. :D

As Wesley Snipes says, "Always bet on black." ;)

later,
Curt

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
hmmm . . good death. But yeah, you chose the wrong gear.

I had a run-in with a '99 or newer WS6 / Ram Air Trans Am on the hi-way from 80 to 120 mph and I was up about 2+ cars at that point.

If he pulled away from you as bad / strong as you stated, he may have also sprayed on you to add insult to injury :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good point 38 Cigarette... a stock-looking sleeper Z28 running the funny stuff isn't completely out of the question.

For my own pride, I think I like that explination the best! He did pull away pretty fast and with the 'wave', he might have been telling me something!

Oh well... no big deal. next time, I won't even hesitate to drop to 3rd.

Live and learn I guess huh?

I hope he know's all 3s's are not as slow as my 'green' car! Maybe I'll get the 'new paint' mod and see if that improves my chances on the street.

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
pearL demon said:
what mods do you have 38cig?

please dont tell me to "come find out" :D
jeeez Karlo . . you dont know by now ;) ? ! ?

* K & N FIPK
* Stillen DP
* remaining pre-cat gutted
* HKS Turbo Exhaust
* HKS EVC IV
* ACT Street Clutch

I also only have 4,000 miles on a brand new Mitsu engine block / both heads / and both turbos which probably helps the most. Not meaning to toot my own horn here, but my car runs strong now for what it is, even on factory boost level.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
sorry man! :D i think this 3 inches of snow is affecting my brain... damn its ugly out!

anyway, i knew ya got a new block, but i didnt know what mods. wow 2 cars to 120 with just those mods is pretty good!

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
pearL demon said:
wow 2 cars to 120 with just those mods is pretty good!
Thanks Bro. To be fair though, I did not get a chance to see or talk with the Trans Am guy after the run, so I do not know if it was an A4 car or a M6, or if he was modded or stock. So I take it at face value.

I did post a full write-up War Story on it when it happened, which was about 3 months ago.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
yea.. now that i think about it, youre right pearl demon. i cant wait to race my cuz's 00 SS at englishtown raceway next season. by then ill have my boost controller in. he ran 12.76 @110mph, itll be my first time at the track so i expect to get whomped on:) ) anywayz, 3rd gear sounds about right here too.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts