Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attention Aussie 3000GT/GTO owners.......

I have a Torque Plate for hire for those doing rebuilds. It is a very good idea to use these when boring out those cylinders. PM me for details on how much. :)

"Lightweight block castings have become very prevalent in our market. Since the overall mass has been reduced, the controlled stresses have become an important factor in the block's integrity. To ensure integrity, we must recreate that stress by using a Torque Plate when boring and honing.

Always begin by torquing your main caps in place to correct specifications. Next, install a torque plate and torque in place using final assembly torque specifications. Also, we recommend using correct length bolts. If they are too long or too short, they may abnormally stress the block. The future will even dictate correctly torquing all external motor mounts and related accessory brackets.

Allow .003" minimum material in the cylinder bore. Remove broken and partially severed material by honing after the boring operation".

Scotty

Useage:

Ausgt3
FRR35H

·
SOHC you in the FACE
5,762 Posts
Who out there actually uses torque plates on these motors?. Never seen a 6g72 plate before. I know its common with other motors.

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this one is probably the only one in Australia. I had it made for my engine. As for how many there are in the US, from searching thru threads on this very subject, I couldn't find ONE person who had one. Highboosted was looking for one. Not sure if he found one.

Scotty

·
Almost running..
246 Posts
Stupid question time: what does it do?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'd have thought that you'd need 2 of them, saves it from being all stressed out on one side while the other side is relaxed.

You'd want both sides the same while it's being bored.

Steve

·
Back in Black
402 Posts
nice work scotty i hope for my sake i dont need this at anytime hahah :muahaha:

these are used on all decent power engine builds in oz especially with the nissan RB engines and SR/CA engines plus most makes ive seen. they simulate the head being bolted on and keep the top half of the block true and stop it from distorting when the machining is being done. so then the bores end up spot on when the head is finally bolted on :)

i would never do machining without one personally, but thats only going by people who build engines in Australia and especially for big power.

just MY 2c worth :D

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
how much did this cost you

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$816 AUD which comes out at around $600 - $650USD. But it was either pay $400 and the machinist keeps the plate, or pay for the lot and I can use it again with other members.

Scotty

·
Registered
619 Posts
My machinist also made one for my job. He actually tried to order one from his distributer, but was not able to locate one for the 6g72. As previously said, I wouldn't even consider rebuilding a block with out torque plate honing the cylinders. Every time a quality motor is "rebuilt", the mains should be checked/cut, then square the decks to the mains, and torque plate hone the bores. Anything less than that I would consider a "hack rebuild" It's fine for a typical application motor, but when your planning on building a motor your going to beat on and expect the best possible results, torque plating is key....nevermind if your going to be boosting the car past it's intended capabilities. "New" blocks must also be heat tempered before any machine work due to warping under the first few heat cycles. (why plate the block for the most accurate work in the first place when it will be slightly thrown off again from high temp warping) Most rebuilds however have ran for some time, and in thereoy, have been tempered by prolonged use.

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no real clue about most technical things, but I was told when looking to make serious power, you really MUST use a TP. The reason people didn't say, "you must use one EVERYTIME you rebuild your engine" was because there's just no 6g72 plates out there I can access. So I gotta pony up the dough and get one made. :( Had I been sporting 13g/15g's, I may have skipped the TP. But running 2 400 HP snails, I need everything to go my way as to NOT break stuff. :)

Scotty

·
Banned
3,240 Posts
Every motor gtpro has ever built has used a torque plate. It is NECESSARY for high horspower cars
Pm or call me at 714 447 1697 ext 226 at gtpro and i will explain what the torque plate does and why it is needed. I really dont feel like typing right now. I would take this guy up on it if your an aussie and planning on building an engine

·
SOHC you in the FACE
5,762 Posts
my "opinion"
is that torque plates are necessary for certain high hp engines. I think it would be impossible to say that about 6g72's simply because it has obviously been done successfully without.

The only thing it really can provide for a very stout 6g72 block is simulating any possible distortion in the block when the head is bolted down. This is assuming that there is any distortion. You cant bore the cylinders to approximate actual distortion that will happen when there is super high cylinder pressure etc.

My machinist took over 200 passes on each cylinder in my engine so its not like the actual machining process distorted the block.
When a crappy shop takes out all the material with a crap boring machine and then does 2 honing passes then yeah, the cylinder could be distorted.

If someone could show that the block distorted when heads were clamped down, then we could prove the need for a torque plate. I guess if I had a torque plate here I could do my own test with my bore gauges and it would be pretty simple to figure out.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts