Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do the 60k service and I see that 3sx sells a non Oem kit for $400ish USD. 60K Timing Service Kit - NON-OEM - 3000GT Stealth DOHC and comes with a Mitsuboshi TB but this kit looks exactly like the non Oem kit I can buy elsewhere for around $200 CAD... Timing Belt Kit Water Pump Fit Dodge Stealth Mitsubishi Diamante 3000GT 6G72 | eBay Both come with Mitsuboshi TB, and all non Oem parts so what really is the difference other then 3SX adding the tensioner tool and it being a 2x the cost. Going on a 1991 stealth Rt non TT if it matters. Any insight would be great.

·
Verified Seller
1,705 Posts
I would suggest you get an OEM timing tensioner. You can run a Gates Timing belt or stick to OEM Mitsubishi. You might run into problems using aftermarket water pumps that don't fit. I went all OEM, yeah it cost more but when it comes to timing components I wouldn't skip out on quality.

Reactions: 95wildtt

·
Lovbyts
3,715 Posts
I would suggest you get an OEM timing tensioner. You can run a Gates Timing belt or stick to OEM Mitsubishi. You might run into problems using aftermarket water pumps that don't fit. I went all OEM, yeah it cost more but when it comes to timing components I wouldn't skip out on quality.
I dont disagree BUT, if 3SX sells it 99.9% you arent going to have a problem with it. They dont use cheap quality non OEM parts and you rarely hear about a problem with their part, besides $$$$. lol

I would skip the ebay kits. You really dont want to have to pull the timing belt again because a cheap China made water pump failed in 10K miles.

·
Need MORE $$!
1995 Dodge Stealth TT
264 Posts
Just did mine last Fall... Agree, 100% OE.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That 3sx kit I'm referring to is NOT Oem. An OEM kit it like almost $800 USD from 3sx. I'm asking the difference between the cheap NON OEM 3sx kit which uses all the same Chinese parts as the eBay kit. The same Mitsuboshi belt. The only thing I like about that eBay kit is all the parts are GMB and I have used this aftermarket brand before. I'm asking why am I paying 2x the price for the NON OEM items. 3sx does not list there Water pump brand or the brand of any of the stuff with the kit except the Mitsuboshi belt which they say is the ONLY aftermarket belt they find fits the cam gears correct. So. Really what's the difference both are non Oem. The eBay kit has the timing belt listed as Mitsuboshi(same belt as 3sx) and all other parts are made by GMB which make great water pumps and been around making aftermarket for about 70yrs and are made in Japan/Taiwan from what I been reading. Just like I found the same Chinese made non Oem window regs online for $90cad per side when 3sx sold me theirs for I think 120ish USD. I'm not looking to cheap out I'm just not looking to spend 2x to 3x the price for no Oem parts

·
Registered
10 Posts
You get what you pay for.. i went with the amazon kit and ended up reusing the water pump because the fin thingy clicked as i spun it on the new one.

3sx stuff is quality, but i like to tinker so i get the cheap stuff. We drive an SL ya no, it isn't exactly the turbocharged awd pavement thrasher that 3sx items were designed around. I will say i regret all these chinese pulleys though xD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again I'm asking if going OEM is the only way to go why is 3sx selling a non OEM kit at 400USD That uses the same parts as the GMB/mitsuboshi eBay kit. FOR 200CAD. AND JUST CAUSE SOMETHING COST 2XTIMES OR MORE DONT MAKE IT BETTER. We should all know that by know. As it stands it's a 91 RT non TT but only have only put 74,487km not miles on the car since it was bought by my mom over 15yrs ago cars at 218,068km now but Waterpump and cam seals are mint not leaking but I wanna do it anyways so then I know the exact KM it was done at. Has there even been a time when the tensioner wheel has come loose? If I leave the car for while the belt gets slack around the water pump pully but if I turn engine over by hand it gets to normal tension and stays like that and has been tight for 3days now. Can that bolt holding the tensioner pully come loose but the TB system still be good. Again we have never changed it or don't have any records of it being done. Mind you I have a 92TT engine swap waiting for the day the NA dies or I kill it(not on purpose)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Has there even been a time when the tensioner wheel has come loose?
Yes. Brand new OEM tensioners have been known to fail within 10,000 miles of a timing belt. That's why a lot of people use solid tensioners. Like everyone else said, just bite the bullet and buy OEM. Is saving that few hundred dollars gonna be worth it when that crappy water pump dies? What about when the bottom of the barrel tensioner fails and you bend 24 valves?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I get buying Oem but who said a GMB made water pump sucks? Google that brand and water pumps bro. Either way if 3SX is selling an unbranded NON OEM kit with the same belt as the eBay kit what's to say the 3Sx non Oem kit is any better and if I'm buying all OEM I'm going to shop around as I'm not into paying the almost 800usd or 976 CAD 3sx wants for there full Oem DOHC kit. There has to be a better option then this and I been reading GMB makes great waterpump and been since 1947. Either way not sure who said GMB is shit. Anyone actually have first hand experience with this brand and not just talking shit about it. Google GMB water pumps and look I guess I need to think about this as I'm not into the feeding another 1000CAD to 3sx. As I'm still waiting on parts from them it's been 2 weeks no ship or update as to when I'm getting my order.

·
Registered
955 Posts
3sx seems to have jacked up the price significantly recently, I definitely didn't pay $600 for my timing kit last year. I mean if you just go to mitsubishiparts.com(also known as cherry hill), the timing belt, water pump, pulley, and tensioner all add up to $490. Alternatively you could order it for cheaper from NinjaPerformance, but you'll have to wait a bit for it to be shipped.

People on here have used the GMB/Gates branded pumps before, just go to google and type in "site:3si.org gmb water pump" and you'll see people talking about it. None of the more senior members have really chimed in yet, but if you spent any amount of time actually researching on here you'll find that very few people actually recommend aftermarket water pumps.

·
BC3S
737 Posts
dude just run the cheap shit if you're not gonna listen to any advice. save the money, install the kit, come back in a few thousand km and tell us how it went.

Again I'm asking if going OEM is the only way to go why is 3sx selling a non OEM kit at 400USD That uses the same parts as the GMB/mitsuboshi eBay kit. FOR 200CAD. AND JUST CAUSE SOMETHING COST 2XTIMES OR MORE DONT MAKE IT BETTER.
Waterpump and cam seals are mint not leaking but I wanna do it anyways so then I know the exact KM it was done at. Has there even been a time when the tensioner wheel has come loose? If I leave the car for while the belt gets slack around the water pump pully but if I turn engine over by hand it gets to normal tension and stays like that and has been tight for 3days now. Can that bolt holding the tensioner pully come loose but the TB system still be good. Again we have never changed it or don't have any records of it being done. Mind you I have a 92TT engine swap waiting for the day the NA dies or I kill it(not on purpose)
parts that look the same must be made by same manufacturer right?
granted 3sx does up charge quite a bit, but it's piece of mind + you're supporting a vendor that keeps this platform going.
yes tensioner bolts come loose. tensioners themselves fail.
the slack is normal from sitting.
if the tensioner bolt comes loose you gonna skip teeth on the belt and mess something up (best case).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for ordering from cherryhill I can only find a section where I have to fill out this bs form and have part numbers so either I'm not looking at the right place or the way to order parts from there is weird. I didn't say just cause they look the same they are. I'm asking what's the difference between the 400USD non Oem 3sx kit with Mitsuboshi belt and the 200CAD GMB brand kit also with Mitsuboshi belts. If everyone should only buy Oem why sell a non Oem kit? What did 3SX find some magic NON OEM kit that no one know about. Either way I'm going OEM and solid Tensioner but not sure from who as I'm still waiting 14+ days and no answer or update from 3SX on an almost 1K order so I'm not to happy right now with them. And I have found exact item they sell cheaper elsewhere so who's to say they are not buying a decent aftermarket kit and charging double cause they had to test it's parts. Paying more for OEM I get but the difference between over 500USD and 200CAD is huge. Example. The non Oem window regs they sell are the exact ones from China on ebay as my buddy bought his set on ebay for 87CAD per side. 3SX charges 120USD. For the same Chinese windows regs. We compared them and they are exact same boxes and all only thing different is the 3SX sticker. I will find/get pics of this. I'm not trying to be cheap I'm just trying to not pay double for the same shit like I did with the window regs. If all non Oem is shit then I guess the non Oem kit from 3sx is also and ALL OEM is the only way to go.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Bro are you trolling? Go to Discount OEM Mitsubishi Parts & Accessories | MitsubishiParts.com, and select your year/model/trim, then type in "timing belt" and add the timing belt to the cart. Then type in "timing belt tensioner", and add it to the cart. Do the same for the water pump and pulley. Alternately you can use the part numbers which you can find by searching on here, or various other sites. Once you've added everything hit "check out" like every other online retailer in existence. Put in your payment and shipping information, and the transaction will process. Cherry Hill will then ship you your items.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok well that link was not the one I was told to go to last time someone just said cherry hill triplex so much I googled it and tried to order threw their drop down menus which asked me to fill out a form. Order Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Kia, Mitsubishi or Ram Parts - Cherry Hill Triplex this is what I got. Again I don't use forums BRO so unless I get the exact link just saying get parts from cherry hill will get me to do what. Google it which I did and they have a form to fill out. Now you gave me a link which I will go check out. But just cause I don't know exactly how things work or where to go don't mean I'm trolling BRO. Google cherry hill and try and order parts from there main website and they give you a form to fill like I show above. Don't take me being unsure of this process as being a troll cause that's being an A hole. But thanks for the PROPER link this time as no-one else gave it. Is this how all the new not regular forum users get treated on here. I guess I will think twice about asking a question on here then.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Ok well that link was not the one I was told to go to last time someone just said cherry hill triplex so much I googled it and tried to order threw their drop down menus which asked me to fill out a form. Order Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Kia, Mitsubishi or Ram Parts - Cherry Hill Triplex this is what I got. Again I don't use forums BRO so unless I get the exact link just saying get parts from cherry hill will get me to do what. Google it which I did and they have a form to fill out. Now you gave me a link which I will go check out. But just cause I don't know exactly how things work or where to go don't mean I'm trolling BRO. Google cherry hill and try and order parts from there main website and they give you a form to fill like I show above. Don't take me being unsure of this process as being a troll cause that's being an A hole. But thanks for the PROPER link this time as no-one else gave it. Is this how all the new not regular forum users get treated on here. I guess I will think twice about asking a question on here then.
I mean if you just go to mitsubishiparts.com(also known as cherry hill)
Dang, reading it hard sometimes.

But the trolling was more of an overall thing was because you came in here asking a question, were given advice by multiple people, then you disregarded it completely and start yelling about price differences like we know one kit is priced differently than the other.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,227 Posts
CrispyBacon, Ross has not been here long, but I would take his advice above most others (you guys who know you are NOT included in the "uniformed" group know who you are :) )
Normally (with a few exeptions) OEM parts are always recommended. Especially critical ones.
I you want to buy an Ebay aluminum Y-pipe, do it. I have, for my 92TT. Worked great.

I would NOT buy some knock off timing parts, at WHATEVER price, from WHATEVER vendor (even our best).
There are some parts of those kits that have some strong contenders as substitutes.
Never used one, but solid tensioners seem to be OK.
Kevlar belts have mostly good reviews from members.

21 years and several 60K maintenance services WITH OEM parts allows me to make the above suggestions.

Bob.

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR-4
210 Posts
Never used one, but solid tensioners seem to be OK.
I want to say I have heard some people saying solid tensioners are mainly for those that want to mainly drag race but I am not %100 on that.(This could also just be the BLE solid lifters I remember asking about.)

And don't the kevlar blue gates racing timing belt leave a blue residue?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok I'm going to apologise for being an asshole and I'm not trolling I was just trying to find answers to my questions other then just the simple OEM or nothing thing but it don't matter as I'm going all OEM anyways. I was not trying to be an annoying prick even though it comes off that way. I just like to have as much info about what I ask/dont know about so I can properly make my choice. But it's over no biggie but here's the question and the person above brought it up. Solid tensioner or OEM hydraulic. The car is a summer car and is stock except the 3SX stock sized lightweight crank pully and AC/ABS delete which makes no different to the new question. Lol. Again I been reading on here and it's almost a split for OEM and Solid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts