Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guyzs I have a centerforc dual friction clutch, and I am not too sure if it is slipping cuz sometimes the pedal is hard and sometimes it is soft...and I do feel that the pedal height has gone up from a what it used to be a 2 inch from the firewall engagement. Ok 1st gear at 15psi goes about 43mph @ 5500rpm, 2nd gear at 14psi goes to 60+mph at 5700rpm, 3rd gear at 5600rpm goes to 100+mph...is this about the same for your 6 speeds? please let me know thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
>I am not too sure if it is slipping cuz sometimes the pedal is hard and sometimes it is soft...and I do feel that the pedal height has gone up..

Fastboy, Is this the clutch I was assisting you with (after you got it new) where to adjust the pedal and engagement height about a couple months ago? If so, then it should not be slipping so soon, probably the clutch is broke in now. My newer clutch started to grab higher about a couple months after driving.

>1st gear at 15psi goes about 43mph @ 5500rpm, 2nd gear at 14psi goes to 60+mph at 5700rpm, 3rd gear at 5600rpm goes to 100+mph...

What size wheels do you have.. 18" stock? I know that on my 17" 94 stock 1st gear is about 42max at 7000RPM. If you clutch was slipping you wouldn't be such a high MPH at such a low RPM it would be vice versa. I don't think the profile difference between the 18" and 17" is so much that the MPH would be that diff. Are you reading this off the factory gauges or aftermarket (for MPH and RPM)?

Mario 94 VR-4

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for replying mario,
yeah, you helped me adjust the the height of the pedal to grab much lower...but as I have driven the car for the past 500miles or so the pedal is catching a bit higher than normal...well, the only reason that makes me think that he cluctch is slipping is because my acceleration is so slow compared to lordDVD's vr4...I really don't know why. I always thought that my clutch was slipping and thus lose to him. maybe is because he's got the blitz DSBC and I don't have the learn mode that he has.

so I guess I am not slipping my clutch, heheeheh. thanks mario you've been a great help. oh, BTW did you fix your clutch? it was the hose that was broken right? did you bleed the clutch? if so how? and how's your 6 puck ACT clutch? do you feel like it grabs hard?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Fastboy, it's not a problem at all helping you or anyone on here, that's what I'm here for
! I think it's the smartest thing any loyal 3/Si owner can do, is educate each other so the cars get more respected.

As far as the ACT, Yes. It's fixed and working was a big job because of the parts that had to come off and some bolts that didn't want to come off. Thankfully it's done

ACT's performance is WOW! It grabs hard and pulls the car all the way through the RPM band, just when I had it installed it hooked far more than stock. Before I had my boost turned up the car would chirp in 2nd gear shifts which is not common on VR-4's with stock boost, it was definitely putting more power to the pavement. However, the car's transmission is taking more of a beating, but if you rev match well and know your car well, you can get by without damage to the trans. The clutch is suppose to take the abuse instead of the trans. Make sure you wait about 500miles to break it in, then you can really take advantage of the more HP to pavement and pull more than the other VR-4 (assuming the car is not "tired")with same mods and even some aftermarket clutches, because this clutch is about as close as you can get to having a racing clutch for street. The only negative thing I can say about it is the clutch

1) It chatters sometimes because it's a 6-puck and has no springs(solid)disc.
2) The pressure plate is a lot stronger than stock, so it seems sometimes the clutch is not fully disengaging.
3) The pedal gets a lot stiffer but that's o.k. because I get my left leg a work out

FYI, The other night I was racing a C5 off the line with a couple buddies watching and my car left the line pretty damn HARD, because it screeched for about 1.5 sec. or so, was longer than normal so I definitely had a lot of power at the wheels without dropping the clutch, it was a slip from about 4400-4800RPM. I think dropping the clutch with this ACT would probably mess up your trans and drive-train for sure at that RPM. Well, I hope you get you car better tuned to pull on your competition.

BTW, keep in mind this is my experience with the clutch and other cars I have raced for comparison including VR-4's.. so it's not set in stone, but I definitely do my homework.

Mario 94 VR-4

[This message has been edited by VR-4 Tissimo (edited December 07, 1999).]

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vr4-tissimo,
thanks for your resourceful information about the cluctch...sound like it grabs much better than the centerforce df that I have cuz I can't chirp my tires heheheehehe. well, yeah I want to upgrade to 15Gs pretty soon...I need to beat my friend's C5 though I am right next to him when we race...and I have to match up LordDVD's power cuz he is way up there on the hierachy chain...hehehehe...good luck to you mario!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read your post...I feel very sorry for you...I don't know much about the topic...but I'd say that VR4Tissimo is right..you may have a leaking slave cylinder..check the reservoir...take care!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts