Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thanks for all the help. Since you guys are the experts and probably know more than me after a couple hours of research i have one last question (hopefully :p). Im sure the rear diff is more expensive than the ring and pinion, but since im not super confident i think id rather take the second option and just swap the rear. Is there any specific 5 speed rear end thats better than any others? ifIi have to pay for one I might as well have the best one!
I'm certainly no expert...but as far as 5 speed rear diffs are concerned I believe they are all the same a JDM 5speed rear diff is the same as a 5 speed US rear diff. What you want to make sure is that if you buy a used one is that the VCU in the diff is not blown.

See: http://www.3si.org/forum/f116/how-test-vcu-rear-diff-losing-traction-453198/

Quote from that thread:
** The repair manual test procedure for the rear VCU is to jack up the car with all the wheels in the air and turn one of the rear wheels by hand. If the rear diff VCU is good, then the front wheels and other rear wheel will turn in the same direction. But if the rear VCU is blown, then the front wheels will not, but other rear wheel will turn in the opposite direction, which is exactly what we've seen on most cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A long while ago, I had my USDM 6 speed converted over to JDM gearing. I still have my USDM parts to convert it back to USDM gearing if I wish. I even still have my old 6 speed rear diff. To make the JDM transmissions work, you would either need to swap the rear diff, or the ring gear. In the box of parts I have that has my old USDM gears, there is a rod thingy with a gear at the end, and a giant ring gear too. So whatever the technical names for those are is what you would need of a US market trans.

Anyway, I think stating the same thing twice for me in one post is enough. :)
I am looking for a USDM 6 speed rear diff would you be willing to sell the one you have ???

21 - 25 of 25 Posts