Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked the trans oil level and it was down almost 3/4 of a quart after 40 K miles since the last change. The car has 53 K miles. I've never seen this much loss on any manual trans car I've owned. There are no visible leaks. I remember seeing a post on an internal leak caused by a porous metal trans case. Anyone have experince or heard about this?

B

·
0 Posts
The "pourous metal" problem, as far as I'm concerned, has yet to be proven. I'm not trying to be a prick about it, but that sounds like a bogus excuse a mechanic will give out when he doesn't want to do some PITA repairs...especially if they're warranty repairs.

You have a leak somewhere. Unless you've been checking the level frequently or at least periodically, you will have no history as to how bad the leak really is. Has this been going on (i.e. slowly leaking) for tens of thousands of miles, or did the leak start recently and you only noticed the oil level change because it's been so long since the last time you checked it?

I would clean off the transaxle well, find the locations of all the seals and gaskets, and then periodically check it to see where the oil is coming from.

Hope this helps,

Bill Wagner

A

·
0 Posts
i don't care much for the pourous metal problem either... it is a possibility that your oil lose is because of it, though I'd go check on the gaskets all around before blaming the casing/pourous metal...

i suppose the best thing to do would be to just put the car on a hoist, clean up the underside and just wait leave it there.. its the waiting game but you'll be able to see where the oil is coming out.. I'd do this to my car but I drive it too often and don't have the facilities to just leave the car around propped up..

i don't have significant lose of oil either.. though it gets topped up at each check up.. mechanics poped their heads around to check it out but came up with nothing... ueseless mechanics.. Just tell me to the cost to replace the casing and the gaskets and not wait for my tranny to burnout thus making more money off me..

ditto for the clutch.. "oh no problems, its fine".. "we'll check it out again at the next service apointment",about a month later.. oh my clutch has burned out...

I've also lost about a third to half a litre of engine oil to this useless oil cap... about a month and a half has past since it was filled up..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts