Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought it cost way less than this? what is up? i thought you just take those 2 plastic covers over the cam gears off and put new ones on. the guy said that the turbos and such get in the way and that you have to dissassemble the front of the engine or something? he said about 5-6 hours labor and parts would be about $550. any thoughts? also if i am not sure on the status of the maintenence but the engine seems to be running well what else would be a good idea to replace before a 1700 mile trip. i am going to sell the engine so i do not want to spend a ton of money. thanks.

·
Treblick's Nightmare
3,671 Posts
$550 is pretty cheap. You do indeed have a bunch of shit to disassemble. 6-8 hour job if you haven't ever done it before. I really sucks.

Parts aren't cheap either. I think a stock timing belt is $90-130.

·
Member #140 Aug, 1998
3,777 Posts
That is cheap if you are having it done. The parts from Hans are $310 for the timing belt, water pump, bearings and tensioner. $240 labor is not bad at all. Mitsubishi dealers charge $900 and up for this.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
I think he means they want 5-6 hours of labor PLUS $550 for the parts, which is about right for a dealer or shop. Dealers are up to $1000-$1200 for the whole job.

You can get the parts yourself from Hans or any discount dealer search the board for around $350ish.

It does indeed take around 5 hours, I charge around 5 hours $40 an hour so around $200 in labor.

If you are at or near the required mileage - DO IT. Search the board for horror stories involving slipped/broken belts and destroyed top ends when it was not done or was not done properly.

·
4,613 Posts
I charge $300 for t-belt on a dohc turbo that is labor and I am about $1000 cheaper than the local dealer so I would say that $550 is a good price, be careful though I know alot of poeople that have paid for 60k's and they werent actually ever done :( one of those resulted in a siezed water pump and broken t-belt

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies!

this is $550 for parts and labor so i guess it is a good idea after all. i just did not think it was that much work. i have heard that the entire parts cost for the 60k tune up is about $550 or so and i thought most of that was way more involved than just the timing belt but i guess that is not the case. i thought a whole 60k tune up from the dealer with parts and labor was around $1000 or so. anyway, thanks for the advice.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
DANGER! - $550 for parts and labor is TOO CHEAP. Like brainfood and I have posted, I charge around $200 for labor, Brainfood around $300. The CHEAPEST you can get all the parts ANYWHERE- water pump, timing belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, accessory belts is in the $300-$350 range. AS Brainfood attests, this total is usually $500-$1000 cheaper than ANY shop or dealer.

I have a feeling the shop is quoting you jsut to replace the belt, not all the other parts. You NEED to replace everything, or a bad pulley, tensioner, or water pump will ruin your day anyway and you will junk the top end or end up doing it all over again.

I hope I am wrong and if I am that is a great price - be sure to ask for the old parts so you know it was all replaced. If that price is for just the belt, ask them to quote the WHOLE job.

·
Guitar Junkie
922 Posts
Hey MoparJim: Where are you located? I am planning on having the 60k tuneup done soon but I am still looking over my options. I have to come up for the money for the parts, then I have to come up for the money for the actual labor. I have heard you are around Michigan?... $200 is a great price.

EDIT: Sorry, just looked at your...location;)

My main question is: What is all needed? Actually, I know that but with the set at GZP, it costs $310. Does that include everything I SHOULD do? I would also want to do spark plugs and wires but I could get those somewhere else.

Jordan:dodge:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea the $550 is just for the timing belts and the labor, not all the other stuff. but if the tensioner and tensioner pully go out the the timing goes and the engine is junk too right? all i want to do is get the car to go 1700 miles and then sell the engine. i do not want to lose money off of the engine because i did the 60k tuneup:( :rolleyes: thanks for the replies though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.