Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a quote from the dealer on new spark plugs and wires (Dodge Dealer up here in Canada). I couldn't believe my eyes!!! They want $510 for the plugs and $190 for labour! The wires? $280!!! $76 for installation!!! Here's the rest of the breakdown I requested...
Tranmission service $240
Brake fluid change $170
Timing belt $800
Water pump (with timing belt change) $350

Believe it or not...

Bomber.
'94 Stealth R/T

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Think Dr. Evil

Riiight....

Not a chance!!! why not have one of us buy you the stuff and ship... why not just buy off Jeg's or Summit??? just come for a visit and do it while youre here.....

Anyway... crazy dealers... just like heroin... price keeps rising for no good cause!!!! (Just kiddin!)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya that sounds about right from a canadien dealer they have roughly a 3000% markup.I did the plugs and wires in my car and plugs ngk platinum were about 90$ give or take a few bucks and wires were 100 as far as doing them your self I had my buddy whos a mechanic and we did plugs and wires in 1 hour so that should tell you somthing about thier labour rates.Hope this helps buy the parts and get someone to do it on the side if you don't feel comfortable.Also just did the timing belt and you would be better off getting the parts at a mitsu dealer in buffalo the belt will run about 150 and trhe pump around 120.
DAVE 91GGT SL

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
the belt here in Washington (Auburn Mitsubishi) is $90 Plugs run $13.55 each for the stock NGKs. I remember a post a little while back that said they could get them for $9.00 each. I think I will look for that also because I am in need of plugs. Do the change yourself. It is actually easy to do. I have done it several times and once you have do it no problem. Looks a lot harder than it is. Good luck.

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey bomber who did you call up ??

I got these numbers from Waterloo Dodge..

Timing Belt $369.00
Water Pump $188.50
100K km Inspection $325
Diff Fluid Change $135
IGN Cables $270
Spark Plugs $52 each (or $80 they weren't sure) turns out to be $312 or $480 for a set

labour for most of this would be $487

I got a set of NGK PFR 6J-11 at Point Zero (in waterloo) for $21.80 each ($130.80 for 6). Source out what you can.. and get the dealer to get the rest...

-Alex

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,
You are right in saying that getting parts from a Canadian Dodge dealer is like throwing money into the wind. I am going to try to get my parts Stateside whenever possible. Hey Alex, check that dealer again re: timing belt change. I paid $320 CDN for justg the belt from my local dealer, as well as another $150 for the tensioner. If you could get it changed out for under $400, go for it.
Try ordering from one of the US dealers who give 3Si discounts for members. Check the homepage for the details.
later, Dan

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealers suck. Not only did they charge me a furtune for maintainance but the screwed up my engine. By the parts yourself and have someone else install them for you.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dad went the route of buying parts and having others install it... they screwed up my moms car.. good thing I call home often cause mom wasn't sure why the car felt a bit funny... else KA-BOOM!!..

The parts rip-off is pretty bad at the dealers but they did a decent job for the work they did.. mind you I would have gotten a 3rd party to do some work if my car wasn't dying.. sigh... not a good postion to be in if you want to be stingy on cost..

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PERFORMANCE UNLIMITED IN LONDON(ONT)

NGK WIRES-$100
NGK PLATINUM STOCK PLUGS-$15 EACH

HAPPY SHOPPING

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alex,
That $800 for the timing belt included labour. They want around $370 for the part and another $430 for labour. The plugs (6) are $510 for parts and $190 for labour. The wires are $280 for parts and $76 for labour. John, thanks for the tip on the parts. Do they have a web site? London's a little far.

Bomber.
'94 Stealth R/T

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Bomber

they used to have a website, its not up anymore...guys aren't really comp literate.. they mod cars and race them.. 'nuff said

Point Zero Autosound,615 Davenport Rd., Waterloo.. 519-885-3394.

I suppose you can just flip through the phone book and find a place in TO that sells parts cheap... Haven't really shopped around TO for a good place. I know a great dent doctor though.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there anything wrong with buying an Autozone or Checker timing belt for these cars? I'm going to do the labor myself but can get an Autozone belt for about $20.00...or would you recomend the big bucks for the dealer belt? Thanks!
Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts