Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 92 VR-4 5 speed, 18-spline t-case I believe, and I would like to eventually get to around 500-600whp. I know the bellhousing on the 5 speed is stronger than the 6 speed but I was curious, if I want to get those numbers, would it be better to get a billet t-case from rvenge and see about converting it to a 25 spline with a 300m output shaft or should I swap in a 6 speed with a 25 spline t-case and beef up the 6 speed if possible?

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,263 Posts
Welcome to the board.

The question you should be asking yourself is what kind of driving will you be doing... if you do not intend to launch much or at all, then just do a stock 25. Alternatively, you can just do a 300M 18 and keep things "simpler" utilizing what you already have. This is disregarding the current condition of everything, including spool and small/big bearing TC.

5 or 6-speed is irrelevant to holding the power; they each have their strengths and weaknesses. If anything, it is just personal preference.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome! I would like to do some occasional launching but it would be extremely rare, I just would like to be sure my drivetrain could handle it if need be. I was thinking the billet t-case and the 300M 18 spline if I could get away with it just out of "simplicity", I realize going into this that my t-case would most likely need a full rebuild with 177k miles on it and who knows the last time it was serviced. That said though, if it would be more beneficial to transfer over to a 25 spline t-case with a 300M output shaft just to be on the safe side then that may be the route I take, that's only if that is an upgrade to the billet case for the 5 speed and 300M 18 spline. I kinda figured they would cost about the same because by the time I refresh and get the billet case for mine and the 300M output shaft ill probably be the same amount into it as I would be if I did a 25 spline swap with which I would most likely refresh the 25 spline case too.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I ran a quadco 18 spline shaft (about a 300m equivalent) with a billet case on an all out dr750 car. Not a sign of fatigue on the shaft it looks brand new many many years later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts