Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it's xmas, and I need cash.

I have a spare 5 speed rear diff, with sub 60k miles on it. It was disassembled, checked for tolerances, and reassembled carefully, sealed up tight. Runs perfect, with no leaks, drips, or problems.

First $225 takes it.

Here's the catch;

I live in Northeast Pennsylvania. It's a heavy mofo.

So I don't really want to ship it. Would prefer a pickup. The necessary shipping supplies to build a strong enough box/crate to cover it up, along with shipping this 60 lb + item will probably be close to $75. Can also meet anywhere near Philly, or anywhere in Northern NJ during the weekend of Dec 14th.

So, PM or email me if you want it.

Elton

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTT

Bump

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reply sent

:p

E

·
3S addict since '95
1,167 Posts
Elton, what's going on man? I sent you two emails in the last week with no response. PLEASE call me at the phone number I'm going to PM you ASAP so we can get this deal done and over with. I've been really patient for the last month and a half, but I'm starting to get frustrated. I really need that thing like yesterday! I even have somone on standby to install it for me. PLEASE PLEASE call me!:(

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zack,

I'll be calling you once I get off of work today.

The jist of what happened in the last two days;

I took Monday afternoon off to try to see if I could get it shipped. No dice. I drove 45 minutes at my own expense and half a days work off, to the nearest ups counter besides the normal one, and they too said no way.

Then, I came back to voicemails at home, explaining how infuriated my boss was, and that I better go to work ASAP. Turns out, one of the projects that was all hunky dorey exploded monday while I was gone, and I was totally pegged for it.

Spent monday night at work until 8 PM, and spent another 12 hours there yesterday.

I told you from the get go that shipping was not a really feasible option, given the weight and complexity of this differential. It's clearly posted in the first post. I won't argue that some of the lost time was because of the holidays, and a bad sickness I had.

But, at this point, I've gone to two UPS counters, and neither would take it. I will not 'blindly' ship it without insurance like you asked, because when (I know UPS, it's not IF, it's just 'WHEN') UPS decides to destroy your package, they are VERY strict about claims, and if you cannot prove it was in worthy packaging, you don't get SQUAT. Not even 'just the money I paid for it' could be returned to you. So, we'd BOTH be out the part, and then I'm supposed to cough up the money to refund to you? I'm sure you see why it's MY responsibility to ensure that it either arrives, or it is fully, unquestionably insured.

So, today, at lunch, I will be getting a money order in an amount GREATER than what you had sent me, those extra dollars being an auxiallary refund for the inconvience, and sending it off to you tracked Priority Mail.

I'm sorry this could not be worked out, but as I said, I knew shipping was going to be a nightmare. And at this point, I cannot afford to financially take the blind risk that UPS will not damage it.

I will call you tonight around 6pm when I get out of work, (if I get out) otherwise, I'm active on Email all day long today. (I'm not stuck in the server room anymore)

Elton

·
Banned
762 Posts
Hey Elton, just an idea, i hope you two don't mind me giving a suggestion. But You can actually ship the diff on greyhound bus lines. They will ship large packages for really cheap... and insured. Only catch is a person has to go to the bus station to pick it up. I sent my 5 speed tranny on greyhound for $72... which is a deal and a half I think. Just an idea, sorry if i am sticking my nose where it doesn't belong.

aaron

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice Aaron, but this is just a dead issue.

After much considertaion, I realize I've gone way out of my to make this Rear diff shipping thing almost happen, when I clearly and plainly stated I had no desire to ship it. Even with Zack paying with a shipping label from his business via UPS print and ship, I still had to take time to go, buy supplies to crate this thing, make the crate, waste probably over $30 in gas driving the Jeep around with this thing to the UPS centers, not to mention taking a half day off of work, which has me on my bosses' 'shit list' now.

A HUGE reason the cost of the diff was so low, was because I wanted a ZERO effort sale; I did not want to pack it, box it, crate it, paint it, clean it, etc. You get the idea. It was, you knock on my door, hand me the money, and I hand you the diff at a dirt cheap price. I was even willing to deliver up to 2 hours south or east. But NO shipping; I knew what kind of nightmare it was going to entail, and I was right.

At this point, I'm taking a clear loss, paying for the Paypal transaction fee from when Zack sent me the money, plus, $25 extra, just to compensate Zack for waiting, PLUS the additional $4 or so to send a USPS money order for the $275 BACK to him. Lastly, include the fact that I'm eating the cost of the crate materials, even though it's now a pile of chopped up 2x4's, which have no real useable value, short of burning it on my porch for heat. And this doesn't count the intangibles of time, effort, and now increased job stress I'll have from Monday's episode. (not that my presence would have made a difference, but my boss thinks that 'IF I had been there....'... blah. he's clueless)

This was an unfortunate exercise in frustration for both of us, and it cost me financially, emotionally, and wasted both of our time.

Tracking number for USPS Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation is:

0302 1790 0001 4477 9327

Good Luck with your Diff search Zack, Hope you find one closer to home.

Elton

·
3S addict since '95
1,167 Posts
Elton,

Well, it's 8:00 and I never got a phone call. This is by far one of the most stressful transaction I've ever tried to complete. I cannot begin to understand why you would try to insure a $250 differential for $2000. That would raise a red flag anywhere. I ship 5-10 packages a week via UPS, some big, some small, some very heavy. I've shipped $450 NSX brakes to Canada without any problem. Of course I didn't try to insure them for $1500, which is what they would cost new. You really have made this much more complicated than it needed to be. Yes, you originally didn't want to ship it, but you did agree to do so if I payed EXTRA for it. I did everything I could to make shipping as smooth as I could for you. All you had to do was package the thing and drop it off at UPS. I believe I actually would have been responsible for it at that point anyway since I paid UPS for the shipping. Salvage yards ship items like this all the time. I've even seen people selling them on eBay with very reasonable shipping charges. I'm sorry for all of the time, money and emotional distress this has caused you. I paid you via PayPal, so I really don't know why I'm having to wait for a money order to come in the US mail for a refund. I've passed up at least one other rear end durring the last month and a half because I had faith that you were going to follow through with this deal. God forbid you ever need a part that is 600 miles away to fix YOUR car! I'll be awaiting the money order.

Zack

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My goal is only to explain, not get into a pissing match.

I paid via money order, so that you would not be smacked with a surcharge and have money taken away from you by Paypal; I intended on giving you the full amount back, not the amount 'minus 3%'.

On top of that, I gave you MORE than you gave me, by a considerable sum. 10%.

On top of that, I did not charge you for ANY of the expenses I incurred.

In the end, you 'may' have been responsible because it was your shipping label, but I know that there are too many people that would bitch a shit fit up because they didn't get the diff in one piece, and then they wanted a refund. Once the diff was destroyed, what would I have? nothing What would you have? Nothing. And can you honestly tell me that you wouldn't have blamed me for not 'shipping it well' when it arrived broken, and you wanted your money back?

And, just so you know, I did not try to have it insured for $2000 the second time around, I asked for only $400. They had no issue with the dollar amount, it was the packaging; UPS rules require that any insured package can withstand a drop onto concrete from 4'.

Try THAT with a 70lb+ Rear diff. I dont' care WHAT you pack it in, the back case housing WILL crack, or the front flange WILL destroy the pinion shaft bearing.

I've asked NUMEROUS board members about the situation, and if what I was doing was right, and they all said I was crazy to not deduct charges incurred, let alone GIVE you extra money.

I did not get to make the phone call, because I was stuck at work per usual; but I'm sure you don't care that I'm about to lose my job.

All in all, I've dealt with MANY people on this board, and many can attest to what kind of business person, and friend I am. I never screw people over, and most of the time, go out of my way to prove that.

Rather than accepting that what happened was something that just wouldn't work, and taking the overly generous refund I gave you, you had to come on here and flame me. I've kept in the best communication I can, unlike the shifty people that let communication go for 2-3 weeks at a time here. I felt it my obligation to keep in contact with you, as much as possible, and the only time that fell through was when I was pretty much bed ridden sick as crap.

This is the first transaction I've had on 3SI that I actually regret, and you are the first person I regret bending over backwards for, let alone being generous with.

Not that you care, all you care is that you didn't get your Diff, But still managed to somehow MAKE $25 out on the deal.

As I said earlier, Good luck finding your Diff; I hope any you get don't leak or die a horrible bearing death from being dropped.

I'm done with this sale, as I'm sure you are. Lets neither of us piss or moan about it anymore. Frankly, I don't know why I even responded, as you probably won't read it. Therapy for myself I suppose.

Elton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.