Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 NA Stealth R/T MTX DOHC
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5th is unhappy, it kicks out with throttle input. I dont really have the confidence to open the trans up either to tinker around.

i have a 5spd non turbo RT. My Tach also does not work, what kind of rpms would i be at doing 65-70 in 4th gear? Would it be a bad idea to do 70 or so in 4th for an extended time on the highway? I feel like this car is a ticking time bomb where the fuse is my wallet and the damage would also be my wallet. I want to be as nice as possible to her, shes getting old.
Thanks again, i feel like a noob asking so many questions and all but id rather be safe than sorry.

·
CAD/DAO/CNC
2,125 Posts

Reactions: Corp

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right, i read through that, like i mentioned i just dont have the confidence to open up the trans. I was more or less making the post to ask if its a bad idea to stay in 4th while doing 65-70 ish

·
CAD/DAO/CNC
2,125 Posts
If u read the topic you clearly know the issue is a loose nut and ... do u want to have a nut stock and destroy your tranny?

If u dont want to open it try to find some member local to you that want to help...

Or drive like this and start your hunt for a good tranny. And a tranny swap is a bit harder 😉

To answer the main question you could drive in 4th at that speed is just louder and eat some more fuel...

Reactions: Corp

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If u read the topic you clearly know the issue is a loose nut and ... do u want to have a nut stock and destroy your tranny?

If u dont want to open it try to find some member local to you that want to help...

Or drive like this and start your hunt for a good tranny. And a tranny swap is a bit harder 😉

To answer the main question you could drive in 4th at that speed is just louder and eat some more fuel...
Hmmm i guess you swayed my decision, tranny swap doesnt sound fun. Do you know of any literature that could be helpful in removing the plate?

my car is painfully quiet on the highway with the windows down, i can hardly tell where im at in RPMs. Im tempted to start cuttin but this is the first quiet car ive had in quite some time and its kinda growing on me

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR-4
14 Posts
I had a '93 SL fwd NA 3000gt that I bought about 13 or so years ago that was an absolute basket case.. It had the exact same issue with 5th gear. I drove it roughly 1000 miles back home after I bought it, in 4th gear the whole way, with absolutely no issues. Obviously, this isn't something you should NOT address, I'm just saying, if you HAVE to drive it, I wouldn't worry about that specific part of the question.

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
You know you could also take it to a transmission shop and show them the documentation describing what is wrong and see what they would charge you to just open it up and fix the nut.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You know you could also take it to a transmission shop and show them the documentation describing what is wrong and see what they would charge you to just open it up and fix the nut.
That sounds appealing but I've already got way more than originally planned into the vehicle. I understand that is completely normal for older vehicles but I'd much rather learn to do it myself.

I guess it really depends on what they'd ask but I'd rather save a dime and learn a bit about the car. Knowledge is invaluable.

Although I'm making this judgement without know how the procedure works haha! EDIT its ez

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a '93 SL fwd NA 3000gt that I bought about 13 or so years ago that was an absolute basket case.. It had the exact same issue with 5th gear. I drove it roughly 1000 miles back home after I bought it, in 4th gear the whole way, with absolutely no issues. Obviously, this isn't something you should NOT address, I'm just saying, if you HAVE to drive it, I wouldn't worry about that specific part of the question.
Thanks a lot for the reply, it's much appreciated. Hopefully I am lucky enough to fix the issue with ease, otherwise 4 gear it is!

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
That sounds appealing but I've already got way more than originally planned into the vehicle. I understand that is completely normal for older vehicles but I'd much rather learn to do it myself.

I guess it really depends on what they'd ask but I'd rather save a dime and learn a bit about the car. Knowledge is invaluable.

Although I'm making this judgement without know how the procedure works haha! EDIT its ez
Yes its always nice to save a little and yes its typical to end up spending more than planned to repair these cars. It seems most of the time its 2 steps forward and one step back. You will save a lot in the long run if you learn to do some basic things like changing fluids in the transmission, transfer case and basic tune up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes its always nice to save a little and yes its typical to end up spending more than planned to repair these cars. It seems most of the time its 2 steps forward and one step back. You will save a lot in the long run if you learn to do some basic things like changing fluids in the transmission, transfer case and basic tune up.
right, tranny fluid would be first on the list. Im reading that syncromesh is a good choice for the tranny. I imagine the amount would be in the manual.

regarding the 5th gear thing, the gear does grind ever so slightly when going in 5 and kicks out obviously. Reverse also grinds very slightly if i try to put it in a little fast, If i understood the countless threads correctly, these2 gears, 5th and R, are kinda tied together in a way? Since they both grind (very very small grind) how likely is it that its a loose bolt?

·
Lovbyts
3,885 Posts
right, tranny fluid would be first on the list. Im reading that syncromesh is a good choice for the tranny. I imagine the amount would be in the manual.

regarding the 5th gear thing, the gear does grind ever so slightly when going in 5 and kicks out obviously. Reverse also grinds very slightly if i try to put it in a little fast, If i understood the countless threads correctly, these2 gears, 5th and R, are kinda tied together in a way? Since they both grind (very very small grind) how likely is it that its a loose bolt?
No, checking for the loose nut is 1st on the list and then do the transmission fluid after. No need to do it 2x.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
No, cruising in 4th will not hurt anything, just increase fuel consumption. with 5 Speed VR-4's the gearing is so long, I frequently would only cruise in 4th unless i was at least doing 65-70+mph due to the amount of large steep hills we have where I live.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts