Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

4Gswap MR2 !

30K views 585 replies 27 participants last post by  familyMAN 
#1 ·
Here we go again…

I bought a 1991 mr2 my senior year of highschool. Non turbo, auto. Drove the crap out of it. Spring break to Florida. Back and forth from Purdue University. Partying at IU. Partying at MSU. Brought back 4 girls in the MR2 from a party in MI to their dorm. One on my lap, one on center console, two in passenger seat. Good times. lol.

Eventually sold it for my first 3000GT VR4. Also a 1991. But literally dreamed about owning another. Then would wake up and disappointed it was just a dream. So a couple years ago I bought a roller. No rust. TTops. And cheap. Probably a little too cheap. The new paint job was not great. And they started wet sanding and stopped. Also apparently stopped painting too because hood wasn’t painted and hood and spoiler only primed.

Diamond in the rough. Lol. Goals….

Too be continued…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#389 · (Edited)
the next 3000? good chance. Can’t do white (Nelson and Garrett’s car were white). Plan on 2g headlights and bumper so if I do black, everyone will think it’s Brian’s car. Charcoal or gray is an option. Olive green of some sort is where I’m leaning but a lot of time and money ahead before I need to worry about it

truck and mr2, not likely lol

Reactions: Dunshster
#392 · (Edited)
I'll start a new thread once it's in my possession. It will be another 200 page build thread. Going to take a lot of time but will be epic.

#394 ·
this will be a different animal.

• Love
Reactions: Chang oil
#395 ·
You obviously have too much time on your hands, and along with that is too much money in hand.
Maybe you should consider making a large donation to the "SaveTheOhioSpyderman" fund.
It will make you feel better and I know it will make ME feel a whole lot better ;)

Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve this time....

Bob.

#396 ·
Depends who you ask. my wife says i have neither time nor money. lol. I will say though, I work my ass off both to earn money and spending it :D

#397 ·
Sorry, you're almost young enough to be one of my sons, and the fact that you're close in proximity, makes you an EASY target ;)

Seriously, I just like to read about what you and your family are doing....good, fun, wholesome stuff.....

Bob.

Reactions: white93gt
#399 ·

lol.

Appreciate it Bob! I take no offense to your comments; hope you don’t with mine. But if you do, not my problem. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Chang oil
#398 ·
Alright so full tubular, fiberglass, SMX racing machine right? Oh oh, or go the other way, full track machine?

Or are we going to see a mythical swap, like an 8A8, keeping it in the original engine line? I am curious, still first gen, or did you decide to go for a second gen body?

#400 ·
Stay tuned. I haven’t decided fully yet on engine but the options might be surprising.

#402 ·
I'd love to add electric motors to front of mr2. awd hybrid would be awesome. maybe some day.

#403 ·
I did actually see a 3000gt Rear wheel drive electric swap, not sure how far it progressed, but pretty sure it was at least driving when I last saw a video of it. All kinds of builds out there. I really liked your ability to go between AWD and rear wheel drive for awhile there FamilyMan, wish I could replicate something like that...you know without having to do a full engine, trans, transfer and...car swap nearly.

#404 · (Edited)
Well back to MR2,,,, I got new meats on back this evening. The Goodyear F1’s. 265/40/18 which should be narrower than the 275/35/18 Nitto but aren’t. I had to raise the rear since they seem to actually be wider than the nittos and taller (which was expected). They are meaty.

2700rpm, 2.5psi launch with new tires on drizzling road, slams your head back in seat. (.88 g according to log, Green Bean would pull 1.2-1.5g on the street but that’s with drag radials or slicks,,,not rwd hard tire)……but after the hit on MR2, the power fizzles out fast and G’s drop.

I just need to ramp in boost quicker. I may even try launching on more boost but set up a timing pull.

5psi launch smoked the tires. But will probably hook at no prep with a burnout and not damp air/road. Lol.

So, maybe the best way is to launch on 10psi but pull timing for the first ~1-2secs. But have turbo spooled up fast to 40psi and ready to eat.

If I can get it to sustain 1g for a few secs, it should do decent at back of track hard tire no prep. Need to run ~6.15 at ~110ish in the 1/8. Going to require “all the boost” this little 60mm can make.

For reference, that’s what Green Bean (OG 4Gswap) ran in the 1/8 on full slicks at a prepped track for the 9.65/143 passes. Now I’m trying to do that rwd with legit street tires on the street.

Reactions: mdcrose
#407 ·
race got moved to sunday because of weather, so getting new project saturday. I'm too excited and may have to start a new thread today :D

#409 ·

TTop Therapeutics

#411 ·

My son and I helped a buddy wrap my mr2 hood with the carbon vinyl I bought awhile ago. Looks great!

#412 ·
The wrapped hood looks sooo good!

Took it into dealer for a quick estimate to respray the front fender when some sort of acid dripped on it from above at airport garage parking. $811. I’ll turn that in to airport and then start wet sanding to see if I can get it out on my own. Lol

#414 ·
Yeah just need that check first :)

#415 ·
Probably driving two hrs each way for a no prep race that has a hard tire class tomorrow. :)

#416 ·

Race day