Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

4Gswap MR2 !

30K views 585 replies 27 participants last post by  familyMAN 
#1 ·
Here we go again…

I bought a 1991 mr2 my senior year of highschool. Non turbo, auto. Drove the crap out of it. Spring break to Florida. Back and forth from Purdue University. Partying at IU. Partying at MSU. Brought back 4 girls in the MR2 from a party in MI to their dorm. One on my lap, one on center console, two in passenger seat. Good times. lol.

Eventually sold it for my first 3000GT VR4. Also a 1991. But literally dreamed about owning another. Then would wake up and disappointed it was just a dream. So a couple years ago I bought a roller. No rust. TTops. And cheap. Probably a little too cheap. The new paint job was not great. And they started wet sanding and stopped. Also apparently stopped painting too because hood wasn’t painted and hood and spoiler only primed.

Diamond in the rough. Lol. Goals….

Too be continued…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#326 ·
Todays drive was much better. Less traffic and we were the first run group finally, so able to get on the road early for once. Today was great. Other days,,,,, not as much.

Reactions: Chang oil
#327 ·

Finished the week with a nice 60ft on 18” street tires.

I had 30psi ramp in, in first gear. Held 28psi in 2nd. And then at 6.0 sec into run I dropped it to 12psi. I wanted a good front half and then slow it down to keep IAT down and not break out of 11.50.

Power dropped off so hard at 6.0 I thought I broke it and lifted before the 1/8 for awhile. Then I remembered I did that on purpose lol. Got back in it and lifted a little early at the end. Good thing I did lift, probably would have gone quicker than 11.50

#329 ·
Awesome! It’s great to see your plan coming together. You got a lot done in a short time frame. Very productive.

#330 ·

Interviewed by TRC

And hangin out with cooper and guido (aka Canadian chuck norris. Crazy guy that stick shift races a 2 ton old GTO that he drives from Canada 3k miles each way). Coop keeps trying to talk me into coming down to FL for a podcast episode. Would be cool to do. Hang out and talk about cars for a couple hours can’t be bad. :)

#333 ·
shiiit, i'm already famous if you make the group small enough lol :D

TTops are where its at!!!

FYI, fixed axle c clip but seal must be damaged, still leaking pretty badly. also pieced together a cold air intake with stuff I had around here. IAT is much better. Ripped on it with 30psi...... nucking futs on the street!!! 550hp in a go cart sized car is a wild feeling lol.

Still a lot of work to do to get everything sorted out.

Reactions: mdcrose
#335 · (Edited)
no cage! TTop life. "maybe" a 6pt roll bar at some point. cranked up, yeah it should run 9's. At some point I may prove it. I think it will on the street tires. 1.50 60ft is good enough to hit 9's if I turn up the boost to 40'ish.

Same launch tune on the street just BLITZ's the tires lol. Rode the rev limiter in first and second gear, as well as part of third before I decided to let off.

I plan to build an actual race car over the next couple of years, but not the mr2.

#338 ·
Excited to see what's the next project is bro
I take its just gonna be RWD monster ?

Just got my dual twin batteries yesterday waiting on isolator kit to get here tomm....
To give this car the juice it needs
Plan is AWD, but it is going to take a lot of time/money to build.

I am amazed to see your continued progress. You get more done in a few days than I get in a few months ! Warm weather must help!!.
P
warm weather? I had a heater rolling in garage all winter, plus layers of clothes. Florida weather was nice, but I don't live there! :D

Last night after work, I messed with a trans leak. when the axle came out during Sick Week, it must have damaged the seal and started leaking at home even with the axle in properly. So took it apart to replace the seal. also found some loose rear suspension bolts (yikes), probably the toe changes I felt in rear when hitting bumps on the road. (previous owner took a lot of shit apart and put it back together poorly. I thought I found them all, guess not).

Next steps,,,
  • mount big mofo trans cooler I just bought and make new AN lines
  • replace front inner tie rods and ball joints
  • depower steering rack (following miata examples) and delete all the PS BS in Frunk
  • new alignment
  • turn up the boost :D
  • work on FT controlling trans
  • Build poly mounts

The car was super sketchy to drive casually with whatever was going on in back and whatever is going on in front (thinking tie rods). Hopefully the list above takes care of it and its safer and more confidence inspiring!!

#337 ·
I am amazed to see your continued progress. You get more done in a few days than I get in a few months ! Warm weather must help!!.
P

#339 ·
Trans cooler mounted, plumbed and fan wired (relay trigger is off of fuel pump so whenever car is running its running. I didn’t want to forget since I don’t have a temp sensor and really don’t even want to know how hot it gets lol).

Filled with fluid and ran it for quite a while. No leaks so far anywhere. Still need to drive it but hopefully the axle leak is finally fixed and I can move on to other stuff!!

#341 ·
What happened to the CF wrap of the hood?
When is the next race?

Bob. :)

#342 ·
Unfortunately too busy fixing shit to work on how it looks yet.

No races currently planned. But do want to drive it to airport tomorrow night if possible. (Flying to Dallas to help work the FP booth at a race.)

Trans cooler seems to work. And I kinda dig how it looks.

Reactions: lawdogg
#343 ·
fixed a water leak on w2a lines and gave micah a ride. he was impressed. re-thinking his desire for 500whp in his car. Going to KISS for now with stock crank 2.3 stroker build, FP2 cams, restall stock converter, kiggly springs in stock head, stock intake and his existing 16g turbo for now. Will be a TQ monster briefly until it runs out of juice after 6500 rpm lol

#344 ·
One would hope the present power level will satisfy Micah. I wouldn’t count on it. When I was a junior in high school I had a 1955 Ford Victoria. I had a 427 CI Carrol Shelby motor with (2) 4’s and a 4 speed. I didn’t think I had enough. HP and torque are habit forming for some. Never satisfied. 11,000 HP is not enough for the Top Fuel Dragsters and Funny Cars. The crew chiefs are always trying different things to create more power as well as get it to hook up.

#345 ·
oh i know, it's an addiction

#346 ·
Put the car in your kids name and tell him to start paying the maintenance and insurance cost...he might rethink going for more power then. What my uncle did when I got a car and oof...I couldn't afford to modify the damn thing haha, I could barely afford to keep it on the road and it wasn't even a 2 door -_-

No time like the present though for more speed, right? 🤖

#347 ·
Put the car in your kids name and tell him to start paying the maintenance and insurance cost...he might rethink going for more power then. What my uncle did when I got a car and oof...I couldn't afford to modify the damn thing haha, I could barely afford to keep it on the road and it wasn't even a 2 door -_-

No time like the present though for more speed, right? [emoji880]
He’s paying for the mods and pays for his maintenance. I pay for insurance.

#348 ·

#351 ·
Thanks guys

Reactions: Chang oil
#352 ·
Last weekend was cool. Drove the mr2 to airport friday night to hang out at the track with Robert at FP for a front side no prep race. Helped at the booth and even sold a couple BIG turbos :D Got home sunday, nice cruise from airport on highways instead of interstate. Then back to work travel monday and home last night (BMW for that trip lol).

Started some prep work for Hard Tire No Prep racing with mr2. Centered rear wheels with stock adjustable trailing arms (pretty cool that it's adjustable from factory). Plan is to find a little bit taller tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!!!!x!!&gclsrc=aw.ds

265 vs 275 now. 40 ratio vs 35. Adds about 1/2 in height and a little more narrow to make sure it doesn't rub. Nittos I have now are about worn out (used from 3000 a long time ago) and are 200 treadwear, need 220 for hard tire. The goodyears aren't cheap, but they fit the requirements.

Next is front end. Going to depower rack, delete the PS BS and computers (it's already unplugged), new ball joints, new inner tie rods, and lighter front springs to help with weight transfer for no prep.

Reactions: lawdogg
#353 ·

Reactions: mdcrose and lawdogg
#354 ·
Worked at good year 20 plus years ago I can say those tires for the treadwear should plant your feet pretty well
PPV vehicles run the RSA's and RSA plus's
Which are a step down from these guys
More on asphalt then I would say concrete
Grip wise
Psi in the tires is really gonna matter for sure
Nice travels and be safe man !

#355 ·
Sweet! How much psi for straight line, street grip?

#357 · (Edited)
interesting. a lot more than I would have thought. it won't crown the middle down? (I do understand what you are saying about not enough pressure with the short sidewall)

#358 ·
It probably will wear the middle definitely the rear drive wheels
But there only 200 treadwear I dont think they have milledge warranty on them being a sport tire those tires might see 30 thousand miles under normal driving conditions
Have to play with psi with weight of your car and grip for your launch what works for you