Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go again…

I bought a 1991 mr2 my senior year of highschool. Non turbo, auto. Drove the crap out of it. Spring break to Florida. Back and forth from Purdue University. Partying at IU. Partying at MSU. Brought back 4 girls in the MR2 from a party in MI to their dorm. One on my lap, one on center console, two in passenger seat. Good times. lol.

Eventually sold it for my first 3000GT VR4. Also a 1991. But literally dreamed about owning another. Then would wake up and disappointed it was just a dream. So a couple years ago I bought a roller. No rust. TTops. And cheap. Probably a little too cheap. The new paint job was not great. And they started wet sanding and stopped. Also apparently stopped painting too because hood wasn’t painted and hood and spoiler only primed.

Diamond in the rough. Lol. Goals….

Too be continued…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So it's rough, but it has the side skirts and lip that I want, and it was cheap. It's dissasambled more than desired and is probably missing pieces that I don't even know about yet until I start assembling.

Plan...bad bitch street car that I can drive anywhere, pop out the TTops, hit the twisties, crank the tunes, take to work, autoX (for fun not competitive), do drag n drive events, and do some hard-tire no prep racing for shits n giggles. want a fatty powerband and use a stock, restalled converter to keep the lock up function for better fuel mileage and heat out of trans.

4g63 Auto (of course)... bought a stock longblock and trans a few months ago. also buying a second, already mildly built trans from a friend soon
  • 2.3l stroker...today I ordered eagle forged crank, k1 rods, wiseco HD pistons)
  • 2g head (more tq than 1g, but less top end)...kelford 272, aem cam gears, HKS head gasket, full gasket set on order. Kiggly valvesprings and other goodies in cart to purchase soon
  • Fueltech FT550...will control everything including trans...left over from 3000
  • Flex fuel, Bosch 210lb injectors
  • Wilhelm custom Koni Coilovers
  • Wilhelm suspension geometry kit
  • BBS Reps (18x9.5 already fitted on rear with 275s! just needs some rolling)

Already signed up for Sick Week in February. Lots to do. Stay tuned!

Reactions: niterydr

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn. I'll be sick. Not going with K20 or Camry engine?
I want an auto. K, doesn’t have an option that holds power. Camry I thought about, but auto isn’t developed and may not hold up to abuse at 6-700whp

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a good start on the parts list as well as the MR2. We will be following your new build.
Good luck! Sick Week will help keep you motivated. February will be here before you know it.
Thanks Marshall. Yeah, lot of work to do. My plan B was our 340i AWD but wifey said "No f'n way" lol. So no plan B, gotta get crackin on parting out 3000 and building mr2
I need whatever you're on Eric. I don't know how you find the time! Love the project and engine selection. Questioning your love for autos but to each their own. :)

Subscribed to a badass build!
coffee and anxiety.

and you haven't been in a properly built auto car if you don't understand the love. come visit;)

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Does a 2016 Porsche GT3 RS count as a properly built auto? :) Call me old fashion but I still love the "fun" pedal at the track. Keep us updated! Awaiting some progress photos.
Close, but not enough power yet. add a few hundred more HP :D Bad mofo car though!!!

I find enjoyment in both manuals and auto's but auto's rule for consistency so since I lean towards having drag performance it's a no brainer, but I f'n love them on the street too. Especially with manual mode. full boost between shifts, instant tq hit on the shift, and the strength that most manuals don't have with the shitboxes I play with (including the previous LS). Not boring in the least to me.

Now road course, I'm going to have trouble keeping it cool I'm sure. Manual usually wins there. BUT the oval dirt guys been doing powerglides for years and have figured out what to do for them to survive. Speaking of, maybe I'll put the trans cooler in the w2a intercooler water/ice box. hmmm :unsure: I had planned on in the passenger rear side skirt intake, but that would be ideal for turbo inlet. So if I put the cooler in the water box, I can have a nice intake. Two problems solved. thanks for the discussion! lol edit: might make my water to hot to be effective for intercooling though. boo. back to original plan and figure out where to get cool air to turbo

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty cool 😎 lol not to get personal (do not have to answer), but did you meet your wife with your first MR2? 😆 only asking since it seems to fit the timeline.

BTW, are you keeping the pop-ups? I just randomly stumbled upon this local one with a supposedly expensive projector conversion from Japan:

I thought it was an FTO at first glance 😅

-sent from my Galaxy S22 Ultra
Met wife in 2001. At the time I owned both the mr2 and first 3000GT VR4. :D MR2 needed some work but F&F came out so I had people stopping at apartment weekly to ask to buy it. Got a good price for a non-turbo, auto, that needed work lololol

• Haha
Reactions: bboyalan

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh and keeping pop ups. that car looks decent but not my style. I really want to find some 94+ tail lights but they are worth more than gold. ebay has a driver side for cheap, but passenger sides are impossible to find and full sets are $1500 to 2500. insane

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So are pre-94 and 94+ MR2s kind of like 91-93 vs. 94+ 3000GTs?
Yup. Same car. Very very minor changes. But the tail lights are a much more modern look.

UPS Christmas from extremepsi! I need another storage unit

Reactions: lawdogg

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
mmm pop up 4g swap mafia. I see what's going on here :whistle:
yeah clearly I'm copying you :rolleyes::LOL::LOL::LOL: See you at the 2023 DSM Shootout????
Yeah, it is a generational thing often referred to as "zenki" and "kouki" in car nomenclature. You hear/see it mostly with the Nissan 240 S-chassis crowd, but it applies to all platforms really - too many examples. I always liked the last-gen MR2 taillights and spoiler though.

That is a hilarious story lmao. Thanks for sharing it!

-sent from my Galaxy S22 Ultra
f'n "kouki" are expensive! I'll make mine work. Has almost a muscle car feel to them with a black car. I am back and forth on 91 wrap around spoiler and the 94+ that my car came with, but I still have all of the holes from original (that need welded up before paint or wrap). And original can get an add on extension that looks pretty slick. the 94 looks better with 94 tails for sure though. I'll figure that shit out later lol

I like that you picked a example to start with that was probably destined for a part out thread in most MR2 owners eyes. Good to see cars be saved and rebuilt. I'm excited witness the progress.
It may still turn into a parts car. so many pieces removed and hacked. I'm on the hunt for a clean TTop black roller. If I can get a good one cheaper than the cost of having someone wrapping my mr2 (~$3k), I will grab one. But I also like the challenge of bringing it back to life. Cost will be determining factor though in this case.

Reactions: bboyalan

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ha not at all. Your green 3k was member #1 I believe. The red one you have is what, 5th, 8th? Just funny seeing conversation of 4g swapped vehicles on a v6 board ;) I've never seen a 4g in a mr2 but not much into that scene; I've seen a few K swapped ones.

Schedule permitting I'd love to make the 2023 shootout, so ideally yes!
Yeah my car was first in the world. (I even searched the GT racing in japan since there were classes that it was advantageous for supra's to run 3sgte's but no one did it with a 3000) I've sold over 50 sets of mounts, but the ownership is still the same, so lot's of unfinished projects on jackstands. Your guess of number 8 is probably about right for Micah's. There is at least one 4gswap mr2. manual car that's basically stock from what I've seen. fitting an auto trans will be more difficult, but I'm already planning to c-notch the frame on trans to give me some more room lol (frame is factory clearanced on other side for trans but 4g is flipped the other way). Lot of k swap mr2s and a lot of 2gr swaps. I actually thought about turbo 2gr (aluminum block v6) to keep it toyota (worth more if I ever sell it) but not sure how the yota auto trans will like 7-800whp. I've seen them do okay at 5-600 but I don't want to do development on it.

well, you have a year, block your calendar for the shootout! I think we are going to get a core group of good guys there. Robert (owner of FP) and I are shit talking about max effort class already lol :D

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I'll make it a stretch goal. I'll be able to thumbs up early 2023 or not. Would be fun to finally make a shootout after....22 years of messing with Mitsubishis (missed all the golden stuff)
better be ready by then, I have to get MR2 ready by Feb for Sick Week (signed up and paid!)! Oh and part out my 3000 to help fund. yay

shootout will be fun if we can get some good guys to hang out with

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)

Oh and evo3 intake came today. These bastards are hard to find now. Shorter runners versus stock 2g intake. Bolts on.

Used kelford 272’s shipped today also. Thought I ordered from extremepsi but forgot to put them on list. Saved $200 used though. :)

should be a nice 5-8k powerband with the 2.3l stroker. plus plan to have progressive nitrous, because, "why not" lol

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Kelford 272’s came in. :). And Robert is talking me into a smaller turbo for wicked response. Xona 5757s in bolt on form. So Basically and FP green with Xona ball bearing cartridge. On a 2.3l stroker with 2g head, should be a 550-600whp torq monster.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Another cool part. My bad mofo TCI shifter is up for sale but isn’t selling. So I think it’s a sign that it should go in MR2. :) It just needs park,R, N and D to work and a mitsu trand forward gears are all controlled electronically anyway so I should be able to use the powerglide gate. Still plan to have fueltech do all of the up and down shifting and converter lock up

3 buttons. Thinking….
Thumb: front brake line lock​
Middle: 2step​
Index: Rolling antilag​

I just need to build a bracket to mount to chassis behind the shifter so that the cable can run backwards to back instead of our the front. Should be doable.

Morrison fab already makes a bracket and shifter arm to mount to the Mitsu trans for an aftermarket cable.

I LOVE this shifter. So will be nice to have it in MR2. Too bad I didn’t think about it before and spent money buying a stock shifter and cable.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Good stuff! I forgot TRE had those front LSD inserts.
Jeff Bush used to sell them but he is horrible about answering messages, so I asked around and found out TRE made them for him. Called them direct and got a great price. Although they picked up the phone, unfortunately, they haven't invoiced or shipped yet so going to have to bug them also.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
order placed for Wilhelm Raceworks, custom Koni coilovers with added caster in the camber plates, wilwood brake kit, customized for more caliper clearance, his suspension geometry correction kit, low seat brackets (planning on Sparco Sprints) and some other misc brackets. That order stung. lol

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
new plan is white wrap or paint, black engine bay. was thinking black on black on black. but i like our white BMW, easier to keep clean and there are already two black MR2s in indiana that do some racing. should look slick. now i just need time to work on it lol

Reactions: Chang oil
1 - 18 of 18 Posts