Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys I'm new here so please dont flame me
I know this has been asked a million times but I'm never able to find the right answer. I'm aiming for a 400awhp build for my 92 gen 1 GTO. So far the mods I've got on my list or that I have gotten are.

AEM ecu
500hp fuel pump
550cc injectors
Straight pipe exhaust
New turbos (not sure on what ones to get yet, suggestions would be nice)
FMIC kit
Intake and BOV
Electronic boost controller
Full set of aftermarket gauges
Cooling system upgrade
Service kit

In the future I aim to upgrade further to around 500hp+ but as I'm relatively new to this I'm not sure what exactly else I should do. I want to cam the engine but I'm not 100% sure what supporting mods I need(again suggestions?/should I bother?). And I'll be upgrading suspension, engine mounts and other parts accordingly that stuff is already taken care of.

TL DR what mods should I do for a safe 500awhp engine
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Around the 400whp area you have a lot of options for bolt-on turbos depending on your gas options. 15G turbos, especially billet 15Gs will get you to the 400whp mark pretty easily from what I've read with 93 octane. Pushing them beyond 450 will be tough on billet 15Gs though. If you want a decent turbo that will get you to around 450 whp on pump gas DR650s will do that. I think the general consensus is that beyond 450 you will have trouble making power safely on pump gas on stock housing sized turbo. You could either got 20Ts or bigger if you wanted to stay pump gas, but you'd lose the direct bolt-on options. If you wanted to stay bolt-on and make 500ish, meth injection is always an option. DR650s with meth, can easily go to 500 whp. You should know that around 450 whp is the safe limit on our engines depending on the tune, so past that forged internals would be best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help looks like I'll be going for 400whp until I can afford a forged rebuild, I was also thinking of getting the 3sx executioner turbos have you heard anything about them, are they any good? We also get 98 octane here in New Zealand so I should be fine in that regard

·
1994 Mit 3000gt VR4 6spd
1,264 Posts
If you have a 1991 and haven't messed with the engine then you have a cast crank. It's good to about 400-450hp with a GOOD SAFE tune. First thing I would do is get a good used forged crank to toss in their though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have a 1991 and haven't messed with the engine then you have a cast crank. It's good to about 400-450hp with a GOOD SAFE tune. First thing I would do is get a good used forged crank to toss in their though.
yeah ive been thinking about that, annoying thing is when i bought my car it didnt have the factory engine so i dont know what generation car the engine came out of, is there any way to check besides pulling it apart?

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,126 Posts
Hello and welcome.

I did not see an upgraded clutch mentioned. Also, I sent you a PM (private message) regarding turbos; it will be under "conversations" in your account details view.

You might be able to visually verify the crank by using a probe through the oil pan's drain. A cast unit will have a square-ish counterweight with a visible seam.

Lastly, your 98 RON fuel (assuming) should be equivalent to our 93 AKI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello and welcome.

I did not see an upgraded clutch mentioned. Also, I sent you a PM (private message) regarding turbos; it will be under "conversations" in your account details view.

You might be able to visually verify the crank by using a probe through the oil pan's drain. A cast unit will have a square-ish counterweight with a visible seam.

Lastly, your 98 RON fuel (assuming) should be equivalent to our 93 AKI.
Yes I forgot to put the clutch on that list but I've got that sorted already.

I'll try to have a look at the crank.

Thanks!

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,126 Posts
Just to clarify for other readers... the stock clutch is good for 400 awhp, correct?
This is one of those "your YMMV" things. It can and has been done before, but it helps to keep torque output in check without an upgraded PP e.g. RPS or ACT. FWIW, only one car out here recently managed low-mid 400's for a little while. On average, I notice hit or miss on slippage above 360-380wtq.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,304 Posts
Cast crank is fine for what you are doing. Just can't have knock, but that's true regardless of crank as you'll take out rod/main bearings or a piston ringland regardless of forged or cast crank.

as Al said, clutch is tq limited.

For boost control, I'd use the AEM EMS to control a mac 3 port solenoid. With AEM you can tune the boost curve. Keep the tq hit out down low by adding a little "lag" and then ramp it in up top of revs for more HP and same overall tq limit.

For turbos, i'd go bigger than you think you need. All the td04's spool pretty fast anyway and many are in the same price range regardless of HP capacity. Going to billet 20t's with the bigger turbine wheel isn't a bad idea either, especially for pump gas td04 power (really an oxymoron. lol)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the help looks like I'll be going for 400whp until I can afford a forged rebuild, I was also thinking of getting the 3sx executioner turbos have you heard anything about them, are they any good? We also get 98 octane here in New Zealand so I should be fine in that regard
I have the 3SX executioners on mine and I'm making 515 WHP on a mild tune at 19lb of boost. They look to be good for at least 600WHP so more than adequate for a 400 WHP build

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the 3SX executioners on mine and I'm making 515 WHP on a mild tune at 19lb of boost. They look to be good for at least 600WHP so more than adequate for a 400 WHP build
Sweet what else have you done for you 515hp?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Everything. It was built for a whole lot more then given a mild tune for reliability. Nothing is stock anymore. Check out my full sign and the build thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts