Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for hours on a thread for this but couldn’t find any.
I just put in my 3SX Downpipe last night and the DP flanges do not match up to the stock catback exhaust, I was thinking about getting a borla catback or a tanabe, does anyone have any experience with the 3SX having fitment issues with the borla or tanabe? I don’t want to sink $1000 into a catback and have it not fit

·
Money pit owner.
2,599 Posts
exactly what year is your car?
I thought the newest version fo the 3sx downpipe addressed the fitment issues they saw on their original 3sx downpipe that required "some work" to bolt up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a 1993 VR4, I had my buddy install it cause I’m up in Maine and it’s impossible to work outside with a foot of snow in my driveway. I got the DP with the test pipes that eliminate the main Cat, but couldn’t put the test pipes in cause my exhaust is so rusted and frail that it would’ve destroyed half my exhaust and made it impossible to fit anything without welding. The 3SX flange does not fit up to the Cat flange

·
Money pit owner.
2,599 Posts
I will let others chime in on their experiences. I bought an "ebay" downpipe and it required some heat from a torch to make the metal pliable enough to bend. I wanted a nice fit because I didn't want to put strain on the manifolds.
I suspect the 91-93 turbo engines have a different exhaust flanges angle/height than the 94+ cars. I thought 3sx put on "swivel" flanges to allow easier bolt on to any turbo car, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I searched for hours on a thread for this but couldn’t find any.
I just put in my 3SX Downpipe last night and the DP flanges do not match up to the stock catback exhaust, I was thinking about getting a borla catback or a tanabe, does anyone have any experience with the 3SX having fitment issues with the borla or tanabe? I don’t want to sink $1000 into a catback and have it not fit
So you are saying it fits fine to the precats but does not fit to the stock main cat? I know when i installed my ek2 downpipe (same design as 3sx) a while back it was extremely difficult to get everything to connect the precats and my test pipe/stock catback. Basically required 2 people under the car pushing as hard as they could to get the flex sections to bend enough for everything to connect. I wouldn't expect everything to just line up perfectly. For the DP-cat connection, you will likely have to flex the DP from side-side or up-down and pull the catback towards it (using movement in hangers) to get it to connect.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,241 Posts
the one i got fit perfect and that was many years ago a 3sx downpipe has a swivel flange that bolts to the cats
I just checked and it appears that both the Gen1 and Gen2 3SX DP's have swivel flanges on each end (at least that's what the pics show)....

I bought a cheap Ebay one for my Stealth and had ZERO issues fitment....

Bob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts