Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received my 3SX dash vents with great excitement yesterday.
Went out first thing today (Saturday) morning to install and quickly became disappointed.
The hardware they included is the wrong size. The bolts included in the kit I received are approximately 3 times longer than what are shown are their website. This makes a task that some describe as frustrating, but I figured would be worth it into something physically impossible. There is simply nowhere close to enough clearance for these. Also, a low key bummer is the lack of included Allen wrench. I heard early reviews saying they had to modify an Allen wrench to get it to be short enough to fit then I saw a really stubby one in the kit on the 3SX website and thought "That's an improvement, I'll buy it."

I'm quite willing to do work on my car, this just can't be done with this hardware and the dash in. Some time ago I had the dash apart chasing down an electrical short (which wasn't in the dash) and that was a pain I don't feel like dealing with again. If I did I would have ordered stock vent covers. I've replaced the headliner, door cards, rear seat, both rear interior quarter panels. I've removed, cleaned and rebuilt the injectors curing a misfire. I've replaced loads of gaskets, vacuum hoses, the brake booster hose (which had to be made by transplanting the check valve into a generic hose which was kind of fun). I've pulled the gas tank and stripped it and added a sock filter to the fuel pump. I've replaced a bad coil. I hunted down an electrical short that was maddening. I've gotten the windshield sprayer going again. I've reset the airbag light (twice). I've rebuilt the center brake light LED's with waterproof LED's (which looks perfectly stock and actually lights up now). It's way less than many of you have done and I could not have done any of them without the support and knowledge of forum members. I guess I'm just listing this before people think I'm willing to call a doable task impossible. This is impossible without removing the dash. With proper hardware I'm sure it would have been possible and maybe even one of those frustratingly enjoyable projects that makes you feel accomplished when it's done.

I am disappointed in this kit. I certainly expected it to be what was shown on the website.

The vents look well made. The hump for the drivers dash is a bit tall, but otherwise they look good. Just can't get them on with what they sent.

Thanks again for being a great community, I really love my Stealth. The woosh of the turbos is intoxicating. The popup headlights are fun. Plus it reminds me of my mom's 98 3000GT I admired as a kid. Thanks to you guys it's becoming a nicer car every weekend.

There just isn't enough clearance for these giant bolts. See a comparison between the pictures of what I got versus what was ordered.
I do not recommend this kit.

· Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
18,384 Posts
Call 3SX and explain the situation.
Steve and the gang are very easy to deal with.
Perhaps they can explain the reason for the change/mix-up in screws.

I'm not there, and I've never attempted to install these, but it would seem to me if you inserted 3 screws into the mounting holes, put the mounting bracket on the underside of the vent and then turned the screws by hand, there should be enough room to drop them into place??? Then finish tightening the screws as well as you can by fingertip?? And then try to cut the correct allen wrench down so you can finish tightening??

I'm sure if you had the dash out it would be a 20 minute deal, unfortunately to take the dash out and back in is a few hours at best deal (I did it on my Spyder YEARS ago).

Sorry to hear about the issues, but again, I would at least give them a scream....

Bob.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I'm not there, and I've never attempted to install these, but it would seem to me if you inserted 3 screws into the mounting holes, put the mounting bracket on the underside of the vent and then turned the screws by hand, there should be enough room to drop them into place??? Then finish tightening the screws as well as you can by fingertip?? And then try to cut the correct allen wrench down so you can finish tightening??

I'm sure if you had the dash out it would be a 20 minute deal, unfortunately to take the dash out and back in is a few hours at best deal (I did it on my Spyder YEARS ago).

Sorry to hear about the issues, but again, I would at least give them a scream....

Bob.
Sadly the vent can't be rotated into place with the bolts in the mounting holes. They come into contact with the windshield much too early.

I emailed them, we'll see what happens. Your advice is always welcome.

· Registered
969 Posts
Bob.
I'm working with both 3sx and my local classic car shop on doing a bunch of maintenance and sort of performance work - I'm getting one of their brand new TB/Y pipe seals - on my car and have had a TON of questions for them about bolts, parts, tools. Justin is super easy to work with and answers his emails real quick like. I'd give them a call on Monday for some rantin' and ravin'.

· Registered
1993 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
20 Posts
I feel your pain, I had to cut the screws down because it is impossible. I found that I wasn't able to get the metal bar to fit between the dashpad and the vents. I tried for hours and finally have up.

My solution was to push the metal bar (nut) into the dashpad since it's foam. My hope was that it still grab something below and it would cinch down when tightened. This only worked half as well as I hoped. The metal bar then made the dashpad bump out enough that it keeps the vent cover from sitting flat. Better than the original broken vents but not as nice as it could be.

I also really like the vent replacements as they are really well built, but there has to be a better solution to screw them down. I actually used some zap straps as an anchor like a long string. I attached one to the vent slot (barely noticeable) and extended it down the dash to an area I could reach and I screwed it into a mounting spot of my choice. This pulls down on the vent to try and get it to lay flatter. It helps. An idea like that where there is some extended piece that extends below the mess of vents may be an actual solution since trying to use screws and that metal bar in that tight of space is ridiculous.

I also had to cut down an Allen key and even put an extension piece on it so I could reach that far up the dash. Took forever to screw in these long screws (even cut down) 1/8 of a turn each pass.

18,384 Posts
I see you're reading my mind, Don.

Bob. :)

Reactions: white93gt

18,384 Posts
A SCARY thought...lol....

(Glad to see you post....I'm not going anywhere...unless they boot me...)

Bob.

Reactions: white93gt

· Registered
106 Posts
If I can some light on the hardware...We had 30mm screws in there and got feedback saying they were too short, so we did 40mm and they're too long. Finding the correct length at 35-36mm was not getting great results across the board. I err'ed on the side of caution and sent too long of a screw and figured the customer might want to trim it on their end.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I can some light on the hardware...We had 30mm screws in there and got feedback saying they were too short, so we did 40mm and they're too long. Finding the correct length at 35-36mm was not getting great results across the board. I err'ed on the side of caution and sent too long of a screw and figured the customer might want to trim it on their end.
Overall it's a rather good kit. I think I just felt frustrated that the length of bolt (not knowing it needed to be trimmed as it was a recent change) led to me cracking my otherwise uncracked (besides where your vents would cover) dash when trying to position an overlong bolt. I wish you the best, and the mold for the vent trim is very high quality.

My frustration has passed, and I'm glad there are companies like yours that support our hobby of working on these old cars. Have a good one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.