Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got my new issue of Motor Trend yesterday and noticed a little writeup in there about the 03 Neon SRT-4. What do you guys think about this car. The numbers on it are just insane.

2.4L DOHC I-4
215 hp
245 lb-ft torque
2900 lbs
11-14 psi's of boost
0-60 5.9 seconds
FWD

The front end looks different as now it has a functional hood scoop and the rear has an arc spoiler. It still looks cute but definitely more aggressive than is predecessors.

This thing should be available 1Q03 and the price is less than $20k.

If you ask me, I think that is a lot of bang for the buck. Also consider the fact that the aftermarket for the Neon is already there. Get ready guys to get smoked by these Neon's on a semi regular basis.

A few mods and these things are street cookers. What do you think.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts

·
Big C
1,511 Posts
TVR-4 said:
I think it is still a neon;)
see I love it when people say that... it's like when Viper or true "exotic" owners like Ferrari or Lamborghini owners say when they hear that a 3000gt or Stealth is outrunning them....

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Give it for AWD and you'll hear people saying... "Subaru WHAT?" :D

There ARE AWD Neon mules running around with AWD mini-van parts underneath them, so obviously Chrysler has SOME interest in the idea :)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
VR4 Playa said:

see I love it when people say that... it's like when Viper or true "exotic" owners like Ferrari or Lamborghini owners say when they hear that a 3000gt or Stealth is outrunning them....
You are exactly right----there is a reason why ferrari or a porsche cost what they cost.
You can ride the fuck out of these cars on a daily basis and not worry about tranny fucking up or a transfer case shattering into pieces on a Porsche. On the other side you have a ferrari, a technological giant, running on motor, F1 shifter etc... Unfortunatelly, you get what you pay for!!!

A $20,000 neon will last you exactlly what its worth, especially if you boost it more than stock+ if you want to talk about street cars, id rather drive 40mph in a 3000gt than 150mph in a neon, just think about safety!!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TVR-4 said:
A $20,000 neon will last you exactlly what its worth, especially if you boost it more than stock+
I don't buy that for a minute. There are massive amounts of turbocharged K cars on the road. Not to mention the amount of Spirit's and the similar genre. Still on the road today and still boosting. Why wouldn't you be able to boost over stock? I am sure they have a ceiling that you can boost safely on those cars and are detuned well below it.

Look at our 1G. Stock it's 9 lbs but you can safely boost up to 14.5-15

This neon is stocked at 11 lbs so why wouldn't you be able to safely run it at a 16 or 17 lb range?

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I'll also chime in and say that there will be awesome support for the car. WE have upgraded turbos that have parts in them from Chrysler turbos ;). Get them out in AWD and boom, one bad ass 4 banger that may just have to be my daily driver ;).

·
Official 3SI Mouth
2,168 Posts
"This neon is stocked at 11 lbs so why wouldn't you be able to safely run it at a 16 or 17 lb range?"

Consider why that 15 pound limitation is set on the turbo 3/S from the factory; it lacks the FUELING to do more. Do you really think Chrysler is going to outrageously overfuel what amounts to an overgrown commuter car off the showroom floor? It stickers at $20k- every single cost cutting measure they can manage is going to get dropped in that car, because they're spending no more than $5K a piece to roll them off the assembly line.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I would rather have that then a Honda. I wonder why its still 2900lbs? Isn't the WRX like 3100-3200lbs and its AWD? I wonder what its 1/4 mile time is. 0-60 is hard to compare on a FWD vs AWD car, but its power to weight ratio considering our DT loss is about the same if not better then ours stock for stock.

Sam

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
considering that it's a 16G with a FMIC- I don't care how ugly it is- it's a good idea.

The AWD platform can't be too long in coming. Dahlmer Chrysler now owns controlling share of mitsu motors - what could possibly be on their minds :)

From a roll on- they will be like a GST- and so they lack fuel, if the ECU is halfway better than ours- they'll support 550's without a hitch, and that gets them down quick.

At 2900lbs, that's lighter than a GST also.

It's potent- we can't kid ourselves that it's just a neon... wait and see...

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Richy T. said:
I don't buy that for a minute. There are massive amounts of turbocharged K cars on the road. Not to mention the amount of Spirit's and the similar genre. Still on the road today and still boosting. Why wouldn't you be able to boost over stock? I am sure they have a ceiling that you can boost safely on those cars and are detuned well below it.

Look at our 1G. Stock it's 9 lbs but you can safely boost up to 14.5-15

This neon is stocked at 11 lbs so why wouldn't you be able to safely run it at a 16 or 17 lb range?
Yeah, look at our cars--mine was $41,500 new in '93, which would be at least $50,000 today, hence it can handle a little bit more than 9psi. .... If you want to look at DSM's, that's fine----11 sec DSM's go throgh trannys like i do through oil changes.

I do not doubt that they will be fast as hell on the track because of the aftermarket support, but as far as a street daily driver: 1. Id much rather drive a 3kgt than a neon... 2. V6 will always outlast 4banger at same performance levels 3.i feel a bit safer in a 3s than in a neon.....

·
Unforeseen dichotomy.
1,393 Posts
Even if it is still a Neon, I'll give props to dodge just for making SOME kind of sports car. There just seems like theres nothing new and cool coming out lately, other than the 350z, and then even the Camaro's and Firebirds are going away, and they're like twice my age! Damn SUV's.

·
-
6,794 Posts
Yeah, I hate to say it but I do like it.... for a four door. But yeah, its still a neon. What the *&%&^$%^& is wrong with these car companies? They could make the same car except two door, lower, and wider and it would be a hundred times better. Ok, so the car companies have proven they can make a cheap car thats fast stock. Why do they have to do it to all the four door sedans! At least make us a $20K RWD 2 door sports car version. I heard that the next gen of neons after this will be based off the Lancer EVO's AWD chassis. I think Matt said earlier that he was buying one of these when they came out and he would have it in the 11's in a few weeks. :D I'm sure you could do it too. Its a sad day when 3/S owners have to be scared of a neon. :(

·
Total Posts: 1,736,254
3,499 Posts
It's zippy, and can probably be made fast. However, it will NEVER have class or style so it would be a waste of $$ imo. Who want's to go fast in a ugly ass car?? :rolleyes: Might as well get a Cobra if ur into that.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.