Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
THAT should have been video'd. Thumbs up for amusement factor.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,241 Posts
THAT should have been video'd. Thumbs up for amusement factor.
Hold that thought...

I believe my younger friend is waxing poetic....

Not only did I get his goat, but I am his goat (OLD goat in his story)....

Bob. :)

·
Bored User
8,533 Posts
Hold that thought...

I believe my younger friend is waxing poetic....

Not only did I get his goat, but I am his goat (OLD goat in his story)....

Bob. :)

Nawww.. If only I were so creative..! Though I can see the parallels now that you mention it. :LOL:

FWIW, The goat tales (tails?) are 100% true and while totally comical/entertaining now, that square-pupil bastard caused me a lot of inconvenience back in the day. LOL Regrettably no video, but I did spend some time trying to find the few pics I had of it and some of our 'adventures' to no avail. This was almost a decade ago when we first moved into this very rural area. Let's just say my local yokel neighbors were not too bright when it came to goat-tending back then (among other things). I'm not sure if it's common in all goats, but this bastard would unleash a urine stream like a spigot sans hose when startled -- especially inconvenient on unsealed concrete...

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
LS Miata you say? Now I'm interested.

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

If I didn't have an RX-8 I'd have a Miata, but the RX-8 is all Miata underneath, still very lightweight, and LS Swap Kits are plentiful.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Not sure where some people get their rumors from to spread around. My "race car" was never for sale and certainly wouldn't be for $10,000. The "sponsorship" never amounted to even 1% of the cost which ran over $150K. Possibly referring to one of the other 3S cars here like the 93 Stealth (Jeremy/hillyhomeboys old car) shell. That would be one more fitting for $10K (although it's not that high, available for much less than that!).

The NW3S racecar was a project for a group of guys to have fun creating. As in hobby. Social. Doing things no one else had done before. Like the brake system (you're welcome) and other things.
It ran a respectable 10.1 when shaking down at a test N tune, spun a bearing later in the day (too high RPM on that type engine), then we fixed it. It ran over 900HP to the wheels and that was without ever turning on nitrous or opening up the fuel pressure more. It was sufficient HP to have fun doing. In the meantime there were/are several OTHER projects.

Let's face it, a VR4 isn't the best platform if a person is trying to go really fast (compared to other cars for drag racing). Personally I was never one to chase race track numbers and if so it wouldn't be in this type of car. There's always someone faster out there. It's supposed to be about fun. As in socializing. Hanging out. That's my perspective.

There are some running a business of course. Their goals are not the same as would be mine. Apples, oranges right?

It's not a life goal. It's a car. I've got more than one VR4 and yes this VR4 has been back burnered for now to work on other things (like a 8-71 blown 496 custom chevy).

Sometimes projects like this are a social thing. Not something to prove to strangers on a car forum. There seems to be a certain collective of trolls that like to pot stir. No idean why. We all know them. Many of them just talk talk talk. Never do.

Anyway, this sort of thing is one reason many people (myself included) don't visit here much anymore. Or if so, do not share happenings any more. So much trolling and BS.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #147 (Edited)
So let me get this straight.....Starting a bounty with my own money, promoting it, getting sponsors on board, tracking it, then getting an established site to host it, (who also sponsored and gained additional sponsors), for some fun, excitement and to breathe some life into the performance side of the platform by utilizing the 4G vs 6G debate as opportunity, is a Troll and the reason why you don’t post here anymore? (I guess we should ignore, it’s literally the thread you are POSTing in? LMAO, lolololololol)

And you’ve done plenty of shit talking in the past when you still frequented here, Mr temporarily high horse. And I guess we’ve all forgotten the bitter debates between Matt and Chris in the record chasing days. It’s what drove a lot excitement here. Each had their camps. It was fun. It got nasty at times. It drove results.

10.1 from a $150k dedicated drag car build sounds like a troll post in itself....

It was written in the past by some, my 4Gswap was damaging to the public perception of the platform, and reinforced the perception that they are expensive, unreliable and underperforming engines. Seems like your results do that directly, no help needed ;) (edit: I think this came out harsher than it was meant to sound. Unfortunately many big builds end up like yours. Lot of great parts and work. Mediocre results, which is expected from any new build, but lack of dedication to push it through to what it should be. So they get turned down and not pushed. That’s the fate of a majority of expensive 3S builds. You have the car. You have the parts. You seem to have the cash. Get it out and turn up the boost!)

Regardless of what is said, 4g vs 6g debate over the past few years has pushed a few builds. Some are still stepping up and we’ll see some good results (not records), unfortunately others are realizing how high the bar was set, and how much dedication/time it takes to get there and have dropped out of the hunt, but I do believe there is one contender lurking. Not sure it will iron out by the end of the year, but it could happen eventually. We will see a couple 8 sec 6g’s come out in the next 12 months I believe.

So what have you done lately for the platform? (As is said in sales, only as good as your last sale). I got you and Monet to post on a dead forum, thousands of dollars in the kitty and guys taking the time to really understand parts selection and what’s necessary to go truly quick.

I can also get us a dedicated 3S class(es) at the Xona Rotor shootout (DSM/EVO/GTR shootout) but I don’t see the community showing up enough to support it so unless something dramatically changes, I’m not going to put my name and reputation on it to push it through. We can compete in the DSM classes anyway and a 3S have advantages in a couple.

Carry on. Troll on. Hopefully boost on.

·
13,241 Posts
CJ has always been BIG. You can't tell?
He once threatened to fly out in his jet to kick my ass....

While I might not be onboard with the bounty thing, I think I can say for others, that you have and are doing good things for the platform.

That doesn't include the things you are doing with your son, which I love (and miss).

Ignore the haters.

Bob.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
That doesn't include the things you are doing with your son, which I love (and miss).

Ignore the haters.

Bob.
Have grand kids yet? That could be fun too Bob!

·
13,241 Posts
No, three boys, two unattached, and the third married to a Doctor! (she says MAYBE in 5 years :) )

No worries, I still love them all (Doctor and crazy pets included!!!)

Bob.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Your reply proves the point.

There are people/accounts here that run a business off these cars or engines or turbos, etc. (Matt, Chris) and I don't recall them having bitter debates but perhaps you do. Their goals are certainly different than someone not running a business. i.e. – someone doing things for fun. Hobby. Social.
People should stop comparing, especially when they don’t personally know the parties they seem to like to gossip about. Or maybe that's just the nutswinging attitude that drives car forum validation.

Some people like the journey rather than the destination. Some people also aren't hung up on one car. Yes I still have the car. It's fine thanks. Maybe I'll take some time with it in the future. I dunno. I don't have to worry about it because there's other options. And I don't really care about times. It's a side hobby for fun with friends. You know, social. There's always a faster car and I could care less about "being the fastest".

The 3000 project is done. Some people move on to other projects and not hang on endlessly to a single project. Those that do? Great. That's good for them. Not everyone has the same goals or desires in these projects.

Post on a dead forum? Not sure I follow you. Are you saying that 3si here is a dead forum? And it's because of you people posted? LOL, really? I didn't realize the forum that LET'S YOU POST HERE is, in your opinion, dead.

I could say more but no reason to bother. Suffice to say that there was incorrect information posted. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Someone brought the wrong info posted to my attention and I addressed it. Maybe not in the friendliest way but that's because I knew the outcome of some parties involved from the past using their "behind the keyboard" attacks.

By all means. Carry on. Hopefully this "dead forum" will serve you well for your soapbox.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #154 (Edited)
Your recollection is very poor if you don’t think there were very heated “debates” between Matt, Chris and Nelson.

Not my primary source of income but I sell 4Gswap mounts and remote tune quite a few 6g cars on AEM.. I love the platform regardless of engine.

Facebook killed almost all forum activity across all platforms. This one by most standards is “dead”. But look to see what the top activity posts are here over the past several years. Three are build threads of mine to share the trials and tribulations of building and fabbing something different and try to keep this place alive. (My LS swap thread has more views in 2 years than the Spun Bearing Cause thread by Ray, in 12 years and is pinned to the top at all times. My original 4Gswap thread has even more views than the LS swap) This thread has driven some activity too. But I spend more time in the garage than here and actually go to the race track for heads up racing.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You're right, I don't remember Matt, Chris, Nelson, debates to the letter. It frankly doesn't matter that much to me. It's in the past.

And I'll certainly agree that facebook has many negatives to things like car forums. I am anti-facebook and pro-forums.

I don't even know the full intent of your thread here as I did not read all 8 pages. I really just wanted to set the record straight rather than malicious rumor just plain false info.

10.1 not respectable? Really? On a laid back test N tune? Ran at about 28 psi. After fixing the bearing issues we retuned on dyno and IIRC pushed to 42psi with 45 fuel. But see the tracks in the PNW are closed during the winter so we didn't go right back after the fresh rebuild.
During that time one guy got married, another moved far away, and then my dad died. After that the new 496 supercharged project came in to realization. The 3000 got shelved and is still sitting. We were happy to have built a very nice looking car (#1 HIN trophy) and one that was built meticulously and did some things no one had done before. It wasn't about bragging rights from the race track. That important to you? Great. Just don't apply your goals to others or not realize / respect other people's different goals. Wouldn't that be fair to say?

And PS - there is a lot more to a car build (race, show, etc) than track times. Maybe not for you but for many there is. Some people build for show. Some for go. Some for unusualness or such. We built for show and some decent go. Almost 1000hp to the wheels was fine for us. To each their own one might say?

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
It's literally stated as a Drag Car and Race Team on your old website. Drag car's are supposed to go quick are they not? So no, a big ticket drag car build with a 10.1x and then park it would not be impressive. I guess I totally misunderstood the intention of a "Drag Car" with a parachute (150mph+ trap would seem to be the goal). But maybe it's a show car in race car styling. And your win at HIN is definitely impressive. I guess I don't understand at all your mindset that the track isn't important for a drag car. Hey its 2020 though, you can identify as anything now I guess, and my comment before must have been accurate,,,"show car that identifies as a drag car" :D

I know nothing about a rumored sale of your car for $10k that you mentioned here.

Only know your comments and attitudes from the past about the car here, and the website dedicated to the car, which clearly states Drag Car. Guess I read black and white Race Car for the Drag Strip wrong and applied incorrect outcome parameters to the purpose of the car.......

"What is the main goal of Slayer or the NW3S Race Team?

Slayer started out as a social project among friends that have the same interest in the twin-turbo 3000GT. As it happens, many of us are also very well-versed on the 3000GT and have had them a long time and/or worked on them extensively. None of us wanted to totally gut our own personal 3000 though so we said; lets’ get a VR4 and totally rebuild it from the ground up!

So the goal became a dedicated race car. One for the drag strip. But not solely for ¼ mile times. Nor just for dyno numbers. But a car that addressed all of those aspects respectably. Slayer was borne from multiple goals and priorities along with a philosophy of doing everything high quality."

I originally used it as an example of where most 3S drag builds end up. High dollar and lack of results. I wasn't wrong and used the example correctly. If the car was described as a show car, then I probably wouldn't even be mentioning it here at all and it has done very well with results in that regard.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
There's a lot of aspects to a car (race, or otherwise) other than track times. Granted some put all their money into the engine and train. Their goal seems only times. And at the track a 10 sec 1/4 on test N tune and holding back is fast. At least to me. It's not like there are hundreds of 9 or 10 second 3S's around. Certainly not back 10-14 yrs ago. And your relating to the cost is also off the mark. A lot was spent making it a nice looking car (perfection on the body work, all brand new support panels, etc). Not everything was spent on, or is about, HP. We used custom CNC control panels, imported custom electronics, etc. Go faster? No. Cool factor? yeah, we thought so (and so did the judges)

Our paint job doesn't make it go faster but it certainly is in top form (and a 1st place winner). There's nothing wrong with a "drag car" having a nice paint job, unique controls, custom electronics, etc. Just because something is called a race car doesn't mean the only thing important to the owner is 1/4 mile times. That is your personal interpretation. I'm saying that others have a different perspective and interpretation. It's been in car shows not just track or dyno. All were fun.

The shows, the track, the dyno, the late night build and comradery. Those involved are proud of their build as it has impressed anyone that's seen it in person. But it's done. The project got built. It evolved as it was happening. There is now another project. New. Different. Another journey. The 3000 sits happily in the shop. Maybe another summer we'll take it out. Hard to say.

Oh, and posting up old info from the internet from back in 2006 when the project started isn't really relevant. Things evolve. Projects are dynamic. You seem to want to dig in order to throw things out to argue about. 14 years ago. Really?

Anyway, as I mentioned, this was not to hijack your bounty thread (whatever that is) but to set straight the comment in here that it was sold or for sale at a ridiculous price. Perhaps it was an honest mistake but many times there seems to be animosity at the very least and maliciousness at the most. So I parked the 3000. Geezus. Big deal. I'm tired of it actually. The big chevy took my attention away.

You do your thing. 4G and whatnot. Other do theirs. Mine is BB chevy. Again, totally custom build. Nothing like it anywhere. Enjoy whatever floats your boat. I will do the same.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #158 (Edited)
So, it's a show car with a drag car theme/styling. I get it now. (Not sarcasm)

Since you are dismissive of what this thread is actually about and can't take the minute to read the first post I'll put it out here with some background since you stay away from facebook......The #1 3S is Garrett's Chastain's 4g63 at 7.87. Demolishing Nelson's 8.57. Garrett's is a very light car that he spent thousands of hours on to get that light and is fully certified to 7.50 with a 25.5 cage cert. As you can imagine, it has created some controversy since it's not a 6g. and the 6g vs 4g debate on what's better, blah blah blah.

Plus some history... in the past, I was called an idiot (amongst other things) for putting a small engine in a heavy car and it will never perform. Mine went mid-9's in street trim (#5 3S at the time, now #8. Also at the time, the quickest running 3S on the planet, full interior, stock glass and OEM foglights).

Garrett took his "heavy" chassis 3000 and somehow got it 2600lb race weight with him in it. 400lbs lighter than Matt's gutted, lexan drag car. Garrett still has stock glass front and rear even. That should say how much damn work and effort went into making it as light as DSM drag cars. But now the conversation across Facebook and forums has been, "well of course it's faster" a 4G is proven, more parts, blah blah; which discounts the monumental effort he put into getting the chassis where it is, the ~12-14 times the trans was out just in 2019, and the fact that his car is Top10 AWD Mitsu in the world. Not a shop car for advertising and selling parts. Just a dude in his garage with a goal to wipe the streets and no preps and dedication to that goal, which ended up with some damn quick ET's when he lights up the boards.

Sooooo,,,, I created this Bounty that if anyone can beat Garrett's ET with a 6g, I'll give them $500. That has now grown to ~$2k and another $500 from Hellbringer if it's a manual car. A drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of a drag car build, but it's to get people "doing" instead of "bench racing" or "bitching" or downplaying my friend's results.

So that's the thread you are in (which I started on facebook).

It's purpose in every way, is to stir the pot!! Put up or shut up. Put your car on the line and let your nuts hang. Break some shit. Fix. Rinse, repeat. or,,,shut up.

And guess what, some of the biggest downplayer's here and on facebook, now get it.....After they whip out the wallace racing calculator, compare dyno's, look at past build sheets, look at the results, use available data, results and logic, and you come to the inevitable conclusion,,,,7.87 at 178mph is quick/fast as fuck and in no way an easy task. His 1/8 mph trap speed on that run (had issues in the back half), calculates out to 1300awhp through an auto. Can it be done with a 6g? Absolutely, but the chassis has to be there too. And commitment to replacing auto trans parts every weekend.

Mitsutimes.org is helping keep track of it all for me now and the bounty has created more traffic to his site than he ever had. Also picked him up a new sponsor to the site which contributed to the bounty pay out as well.

Now to be fair to garrett, since no one did this for him, some of us have decided to do a "reverse bounty". So, if no one beats his ET by the end of 2020, he'll get our bounty pledge. I think that is over $1200 now.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
and you should submit your slip (or a vid if you don't have the slip) to mitsutimes.org. It would be in the top 13 or better depending on what 10.1X you ran. Good to document history for any weirdo's in the future looking into results. You can post the psi too. That way people know. I wish he tracked weight also, because that's the other half of the ET/MPH story, but they don't.

·
Registered
120 Posts
No wonder we never heard what it ran. It would have been interesting at the time and may have motivated others to keep pushing. I cant even remember pics from HIN being posted. But that gt42 debate was classic.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts