Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.:)

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
can't argue with Ebaines on that one...2nd Gen Stealth!

·
20 yr owner
1,867 Posts
If your gonna have a mitsu engine...
you might as well have the mitsu body.

plus vr4s have way nicer rims.;)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
First gens: Dated look with the heat sensors and black plastic around the license plate and 5spd isnt as good as 6.

Second gen Stealth has the best back bumper but the stealth rims and stock spoiler are garbage. 3000GT has the overall better body with better front lights and exterior styling. Also, would you rather be under the dodge or mitsubishi banner? Sure they are the same but I prefer the japanese sports car title. I would recomend a 96 VR4 just because its seems to have the most of everything and not the extra weighted BS. Of course the 99 is perfection but its hard to find one, and finding one that isnt white is even harder.

Overall: I like the 3000 better and above stated is all MY OPINION so dont rape me over different views.

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
Well...

Technically the 1996 Stealth was the fastest, weighing in at about 3650 lbs. It should put down consistent 13.4s to quarter.

As for the best, the 2nd gens [1994-1999] are all almost equal, and a major performance jump over the 1st gens. The 1997+s [usually incorrectly labeled as 3rd gens] are the best handling of all 3Ses due to a few suspension touch ups - and the lash adjusters are fixed finally [no more ticking :)]. That's about all really (they lack a lot of the silly extra features). All 2nd gens are capable of running 13.5s consistently. But, I'd probably go with the 97+ VR4 because of its touched up handling, and most importantly, because I'd get as new a car as possible. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the 96 Stealth had that suspension, it was quite the limited edition [57 total TTs], and the base 96 Stealths shared a lot with the base 97 3000gts. In addition, the 96 Stealth had a unique thicker contoured very unique banana spoiler - and a few other body touch ups (much like the 1999 VR4 ~ both went out with a bang, style-wise).

If you can't get a 1997+ VR4, or infamous 96 TT, among the earlier models: the Stealth's were lighter [no active-aero] and about $2k cheaper for identical cars; for some reason Dodge doesn't hold value like Mitsubishi :confused:. However, I personally like the Mitsubishi styling much more than the Stealths of any years. The 1st gen VR4s look the best [besides maybe 97+], and the 1994s still look awesome as hell. What am I talking about, they all look awesome as hell [besides 94-95 Stealths, sorry… can't stand the grill ;)].

You really REALLY should get a 2nd generation car, 1994 or newer. The 6-speed makes a huge difference [performance & reliability], the car is a bit lighter, and comes with 4 bolt block and more importantly stainless-steel crank [versus cast iron]. The iron crank has a habit of getting the shaft with under-drive pulleys or too much boost. Also, like I said, get the newest car you can.

So lets recap:

Performance wise:
1. 96 Stealth TT
2. 97+ VR4
3. 94+ TT,
4. 94+ VR4 little more $, little more weight
5. 1G TT, or again for little more cash and weight 1G VR4
6. N/As

If you care about look, then get whatever you think looks best. But, get a 2nd gen, or you'll have problems buddy!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm still convinced the weight numbers on the Team3S website are wrong for the '95 Stealth, due to a number of "rebadged" holdover 94's masquerading as 95's... and hope to prove it if I can get a really big bathroom scale. LOL

Seriously, no one (with whom I have yet had the pleasure of speaking) has been able to demonstrate a major mechanical difference to me between the 95 and 96 Stealths......

If anyone can, speak now or forever hold your peace!

If no one can prove me wrong:

1. 96 OR 95 Stealth TT !!!
2. 97+ VR4
3. 94 TT,
4. 94+ VR4 little more $, little more weight
5. 1G TT, or again for little more cash and weight 1G VR4
6. N/As

LOL....... Damn right I'm biased, but until someone convinces me otherwise, I'm just gonna go on believing in my little engine that can.

·
poser
2,611 Posts
I think the 93s are a worthwhile investment, with the 25 spline output shaft and 4 bolt motor. Some late 93s even have the second gen brakes...And I think the 1st gen Stealth far more fetching than its 1st gen 3000 counterpart...

I do sometimes long for the 6-speed gearbox in my car, admittedly.

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
Team 3S may be wrong

But also Carpoint? They say, 3770 v 3671 lbs for the 1996 [about 1/10 in the quarter]. And how about the 95 owners on 3Si, I've never seen a single one has claimed their car was in the 3600s, like both Trevor and that other guy that ran 13-flat stock. Why don't you go get her weighed?

As for the N/As buddy:

There were 4 engines offered:

the 222 hp, 217 ftlbs dohc
_found in 91-95 Stealth ES, R/T, and 91-96 3000gt base, SL

the 218 hp, 205 ftlbs dohc
_found in 1996 Stealth, 97-99 3000gt SL

the 164 hp, 185 ftlbs sohc
_found in 91-95 Stealth

the 161 hp, 185 ftlbs sohc
_found in 1996 Stealth, 97-99 3000gt base

Obviously the fastest n/a cars run the 222 hp dohc, with manual transmission. Now all it comes down to is weight. Clearly, you trade options for weight. The most lux n/a, the SL, weighs the most and is the slowest [barely].

If you factor in weight, the cars go as follows,

1994 R/T: 3164
1st gen ES: 3175
94-96 3kgt: 3197
91-93 3kgt: 3207
1995 R/T: 3252

1st gen R/T & all SLs : mid 3300s.

Appears as though the lux edition Stealth [R/T] also came pretty light in 1994. I'd doubt you could notice a difference with less than 50 lbs difference [especially considering the driver weighs a bit as does gas]. However technically the 94 R/T and 91-93 ESes and 94-96 base 3000gts are quite a bit faster than all the SLs. However, out of all of those, only the 94 R/T is the lux n/a edition. Odd.

Obviously any of the 222 hp cars are faster than the 218 hp cars, which both blow the hell out of the sohc cars. After that, tranny comes, manual being much faster - if any of the cars is auto or worse, sohc, they will get killed by the other, reguardless of weight.

If you go with look alone, just be sure to pick up a manual dohc [even the 218 hp if you have to]. However, in theory, the 94 R/T and -93 ESes should be 2/10ths faster to quarter than any 3kgt SL. But don't think that a better driver can't make up those 2/10ths, that or your twin after you ate an extra big mac and filled up the tank.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Team 3S may be wrong

Telionis-1 said:
But also Carpoint? They say, 3770 v 3671 lbs for the 1996 [about 1/10 in the quarter]. And how about the 95 owners on 3Si, I've never seen a single one has claimed their car was in the 3600s, like both Trevor and that other guy that ran 13-flat stock. Why don't you go get her weighed?
I just haven't seen much serious discussion on the topic of 95 Stealth weight in general ;) I'm not so much claiming as presenting a hypothesis to be proven or disproven.

You may be right, but if those numbers are right, then what explains the weight difference?

<a href="http://people.mw.mediaone.net/twinturbo/3S_Production.html" target="newwindow">The excellent Stealth production info website</a> seems to show no major mechanical differences between the years... and I know way too many cases in life, and especially in research (mostly economics) where a bunch of people rely on one or two sets of collected data as fact when it may not be accurate.....

Darnit, I'm gonna settle this. Does anyone have any idea where I can weigh a car near Boston????

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The name of this thread is 3000GT or Stealth. Not what is the weight of a 96 Stealth. Topics that go way off the point of the thread are really annoying. Post your opinions on the styling/performance of a stealth vs. 3k and what you like about them and leave it at that or argue those points.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I already posted a topic on this issue once before, and very few people replied. I've searched the archive, and the question's been bandied about but never fully answered. Tellonis-1 seems to know his stuff, though, so I fig'd I'd ask him, and the numerous other people who seem to be checking out this topic. The post was slightly OT, but not that bad because it really does have a fair bit to do with which model/year 3S to choose.

I usually hate OT posts in a thread too, though, so I'll ask any helpful people with thoughts, explanations, or suggestions to personal msg or E-mail me.

BTW..... Speaking of off topic, how did this thread wind up on the War Stories board? :D

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
Oh yeah...

If I could get any 3S, without question, it'd be a SPYDER VR4, I'll get one, don't worry... some day! :)

Come on, 2nd gen VR4, with hardtop that folds into the trunk [first car to do that since 1950s] - eat it Mercedes, fuck of Lexus... neither touch the performance either. What more could you ask for?

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally, I'd don't want to be flying the Dodge flag. here's a scary thought generated probably out of ignorance---my brother (he drives an 89 GT 'stang, but don't diss he's got a blower on it and pushes 370 hp.) says he talked to his mechanic (who apparently knows his stuff) and the guy said Stealths/3000gts are extremely unreliable and break down after 90 or so k miles. Again, any more input here would be great guys. btw I didn't expect to get so many replies in such a short period i appreciate everyone's input for a newb to the scene like me.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Odin said:
says he talked to his mechanic (who apparently knows his stuff) and the guy said Stealths/3000gts are extremely unreliable and break down after 90 or so k miles.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: So many factors go into reliabilty and how long a car is good for its not even worth getting into. Tell the mechanic to stick with working on old mustangs and dont listen to anyone except 3S owners and tuners.

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
Don't talk about reliability...

My car is MUCH LESS reliable than my 1984 Jeep Cherokee w/ 130+ k miles. The Stealth just broke 70,000. My god, there is always something wrong with the bastard :mad: - I consider selling it everyday, but hold out in hopes that oneday I'll run properly :(.

I keep dreaming of modifying the hell out of it [gt357s], but so far I've been fighting [and losing] an uphill battle to keep it almost as good as stock. Everytime I fix one thing, something else fucks up. That of course, nobody can fix. [Sorry, few new problems this morning]. I considered getting an 2002 SVT Cobra and telling the awd/tt to fuck off. But, I love the car, and hopefully one day it will be fixed and modified.

What could account for this crap, first it is a 1992 [old], second, I might just be the most pathetic manual driver in history and not know it [:confused:], or I could have just bought a lemon, or the guy who fixed the tranny fucked up everything leaving the engine in pieces on his lawn through the winter [:mad:]. Whatever the case may be, it is NOT working properly, nor has it EVER. Oh and don't forget, if something is wrong, I can't figure out what piece exactly, and nobody [service/garage] within 100 miles has ever seen the engine of a 3000gt, much less knows anything about it. I'm willing to bet that everything that ever went wrong was due to an idiot incorrectly fixing some other part.

I'd suggest if you get a 3S, get as NEW as possible, get a car-fax report, and don't forget to get a fucking warrenty [and find a damn good sports-car only shop to work on it]!

·
Why does everyone argue?
1,302 Posts
TELIONIS: Sorry bud, NO suspension changes occured between 94 and 99. only thing was ECS was dropped after 95. handling is the same. I have checked with Mitsu, my own CAPS program, and my own knowlege, having worked on every year VR-4 except 99, and even that year, I had a good look over while on a lift.

·
465awhp
1,632 Posts
Look at my car and u see y black VR4 all the way:D I think it looks meaner.

Black94VR4

·
Premium Member
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How much money have you dropped in that thing (Black VR-4) ? 450 hp at the wheels? What's your 1/4 time?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts