Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting a downpipe/test pipe/custom cat back done on monday to my 96 3000gt base. planned on tuning it after and just found out i would need to drop 800 fuckin dollars on a chrome ecu to do anything.

1. will i be able to continue to daily this thing before i get it tuned without messing anything up?

2. any cheaper option to get it tuned?

·
Dragon Slayer
873 Posts
Pick up a 98-99 DOHC flashable ECU. You can find the as low as $150-$300. It’s a lot cheaper than buying a chrome each and it’s the same thing. But you won’t need a tune for what you are doing. The stock ECU can handle the slight changes. There is some to gain from a tune but not much, not with only an exhaust upgrade.

·
<3's lapping days
3,275 Posts
You wont need to do a thing if you add those mods. You will gain HP and wont use mileage.

Pull the neg battery cable for a half hour. That will reset your ECU fuel trims, let the car learn the new parts and it will adjust. Enjoy.

·
Still Posting Novels >>>
676 Posts
As stated above, no tune is required for those mods on a stock car; the the ECU will adjust the fueling based on the MAF for part-throttle/WOT, and adjust idle/cruise trims via the O2 sensors. Your idle/cruise fuel trims update every four minutes, and fully store adaptations every four updates (16 minutes), so you can unplug the battery to clear the old trims and just let it idle for about 20 minutes to have it lock down the new adaptations.

You'll likely get a CEL when you remove the cat as the OBD2 cars monitor that, so keep that in mind. You can use spark plug non-foulers to move the rear O2 away from the exhaust, pick up extenders with mini-cats in them, or build/buy an O2 emulator/simulator. They all have varying results, but I'd try the non-foulers first because they're super cheap.

As stated above you can pick up a 98-99 N/A flashable ECU for relatively cheap, but it gets quite expensive in a hurry, with very little gain for the N/A. The ECU is ~200, the conversion harness is ~250, and the flash cable is ~180. It's still half the price of the Jester ECU, but about the only thing you'll use it for is to remove the CEL from removing the cat. Not worth the investment IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts